Thread: Barnacle Resistant Hull Coating

Default Barnacle Resistant Hull Coating

We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! óCole Porter

Default Re: Barnacle Resistant Hull Coating

Cool. Does it increase resistance and reduce efficiency, thereby requiring more fuel to be burned? Or, like the dimples on a golf ball, does the surfacing make it go better?

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    Cool. Does it increase resistance and reduce efficiency, thereby requiring more fuel to be burned? Or, like the dimples on a golf ball, does the surfacing make it go better?

Kevin
    3M riblet film reduced drag when applied to the aft half of a boat (Stars and Stripes used it). Same principal as the golf ball dimples. Riblet film increased drag when applied on the front half of the boat. I can't remember if covering the whole boat was a wash or just less effective at reducing drag. <<EDIT. This ain't google expertise. I have talked to 3M and a hydrodynamicist at MIT about this for a similar application.>>

This sounds somewhat similar, but i can't say it isn't snake oil. https://www.kisspolymers.com (science link)
    Last edited by MN Dave; 09-08-2018 at 07:38 PM.
    Management is the art of counting beans. Leadership is the art of making every being count. --Joe Finch

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    I wondered the same thing. The writer didn’t specify. I’d guess that any increased shear compared to slick hull would be outweighed by the average efficiency over the same hull as it was covered in barnacles, along with saving the cost of a haulout and barnacle removal.
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! óCole Porter