Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Skeg or no skeg on an 18' sharpie

Default Re: Skeg or no skeg on an 18' sharpie

I agree with Johnw in post #2. If the skeg is in the plans it is also part of the calculation of lateral resistance. Leaving it off will change that.I ma not a sailor, but am pretty sure you will find you have either lee helm or weather helm to excess by leaving off the skeg. Looking at the plans does not show that much of an increase in draft. Hey! Sailors out there, do a better job than I have in explaining this....

Denise,
    Not put upon at all. Sorry if I gave that impression. Just wanted to clarify my relative newbie boatbuilder status. Actually the first boat plan I ever looked at was kind of a Cat and had a tabernacle. It was the Stevenson Pocket Cruiser. In fact I think I still have the plans. While it looked nice on paper I remember reading a lot of unflattering comments about its performance. I think one guy said it worked better as a flower planter than a sailboat. I just saw a video of one sailing the other day and it looked horrible.

What attracted it to me was the gaff rig. Actually went out and bought the Gaff Rig Handbook to try to understand it, thinking old school would be a more economical way to get into sailing than buying a used fiberglass and aluminum contraption. And if I could build it, I could handle the building costs in increments rather than plunking down a big purchase price. Then I discovered Harold Payson and the sprit rig and my first boat was born.

So I have considered the Cat to a degree, of course noting that the Pocket Cruiser is far from a real cat in construction or performance. For me the drawback to the cat would be the single sail when I'm looking to move up to multiple sails. Considering the size of the Cat's gaff sails, I would imagine we'd be talking about a rather huge one to justify the ketch rig, which would be out of my league. On all other requirements, I think the Cat would do well: trailerable, roomy comfortable cockpit, and stable. With the right plywood construction I could do it.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

There are days when i prefer building to sailing. Actually, i'm not sure that isn't everyday. Sometimes you build just to build.

I vote leave the skeg.
    Certainly to maximise lateral resistance - a boat with none is a pig to manage at times, like when too shallow to get your centerboard down at launch and return.
    I will also protect your rudder if draft is a real threat.

Don't forget to take pictures.
    "People should be able to access these benefits [Social Welfare] as a matter of right, with no more loss of their own standards of self-respect than would be involved in collecting from an insurance company the proceeds of an endowment policy on which they have been paying premiums for years."
    Robert Menzies - Liberal Party (Conservative) Prime Minister of Australia.

I've been doing some CE and CLR calc's recently on a number of 2 masted sharpies.
    One thing that came out of this was that these boats in the 25-35 ft range (that I'm looking at) depended on the area in the skeg to keep the CLR far enough aft to give the CE of the rig enough lead.
    The 2 masts meant that the Rig Centre of Effort was a long way aft, particularly in cat ketch/schooner rigs or any rig with a large aft sail (ketch or Schooner). Combine this with the aft mast step being well forward and center board's Center of Lateral Resistance would be forward of the rig's CoE. This made them dependent on the skeg to move it far enough aft to keep the Rig CoE forward of the Hulls CLR.

Obviously as previously noted a smaller 18' boat is going to be much more influenced by crew weight position, Add that this is more a working hull I would be inclined to keep the skeg but if you removed some of the drag aft I don't see a problem that shifting a body around in the boat won't fix.
    In the end adding or removing a few inch's is not a big job.
    Zq

Yes, I guess the skeg will stay. Just drew in the Cat-ketch rig from Core Sound 17. Seems like a pretty good fit. The new CE comes in lower than the original but about 9 inches further forward. So looks like some lee helm to deal with and taking out the skeg would only exacerbate that. 9" doesn't seem excessive to me but I'll leave it to the board naval architects. Acceptable or should I try to dial it out by moving the masts back? The masts are drawn in right up against the stem and back of the centerboard case so I've got room to move them if need be.

Quote Originally Posted by graystork44 View Post
    Yes, I guess the skeg will stay. Just drew in the Cat-ketch rig from Core Sound 17. Seems like a pretty good fit. The new CE comes in lower than the original but about 9 inches further forward. So looks like some lee helm to deal with and taking out the skeg would only exacerbate that. 9" doesn't seem excessive to me but I'll leave it to the board naval architects. Acceptable or should I try to dial it out by moving the masts back? The masts are drawn in right up against the stem and back of the centerboard case so I've got room to move them if need be.
    Set up the board so you can drop it vertical, that will moved the CE forward to where the rig wants it to be, and if you don't need it that far forward, you can carry the board up a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    Set up the board so you can drop it vertical, that will moved the CE forward to where the rig wants it to be, and if you don't need it that far forward, you can carry the board up a bit.

Never would've thought of that. Thanks JW. The original CE sits right on the aft corner of the board in its further down position as shown in Michalak's sail plan so the new one's 9" forward. Dropping the board vertically looks perfect.

hcskiff1.gif
    Attached Images Attached Images

Where is the mizzen mast in relation to the centerboard trunk?

Right at the back end of it. No room to move forward, plenty to go back.

Quote Originally Posted by graystork44 View Post
    Right at the back end of it. No room to move forward, plenty to go back.
    Then you have another adjustment you can make if needed.