Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ship Modeling Tools

Default Re: Ship Modeling Tools

How about a tiny turks head!
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Chippie View Post

In profile no contrasting in strake widths all running smoothly and evenly throughout.

A pronounced "plunge" at Forefoot followed by a nice even raked curve to top of Stem.
    Like this one?
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Interesting Nick. Does the fore foot shape aid in launching through or returning to shore through the surf?
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    Interesting Nick. Does the fore foot shape aid in launching through or returning to shore through the surf?
    Jay
    Yes, they back into the beach so that the fine bow with powerful shoulders parts the waves, whilst the flat bottomed stern remains afloat. Then as the hit the sand the stern can ride up the slope of the beach.

This on a calm day though.

Here is a model of our H28 "Bright Star" that was made by my father in law Commodore Richard Lawrence. He used a lot of the tools that are supplied by Micro Mark in his work. Dick really enjoyed making models of famous boats and his collection contains nearly twenty models of museum quality. The Commodore passed on at the beginning of this summer, he was 93 years old and had a good life sailing boats and making models of them. Jay
    Beautiful model! I do hope you keep it in a case. Many don't keep models in cases, but a proper case is essential for preventing deterioration in the ordinary course and catastrophic damage in the extraordinary course. A swipe with a feather duster has destroyed many a model.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Like this one?
    Good Heavens no that's only an Artists interpretation and bears little on true perspective. Perhaps this is where you are going astray?

More in line with the side profile that I presented of my own model which you include in your submission
    Last edited by Chippie; 09-08-2018 at 05:53 PM.

Thank you Nick for the posting and explanation of how the boats are beached. I thought that there had to be some unique reason for that shape of the bow and stern of those boats.
    When I was a kid in Newport Beach Ca we had a dory fleet that beached their boats on the beach and set up shop selling fresh caught fish right from the boats on the beach. The dorymen would go out and fish at night and fish for mackerel, sea bass, sculpin and sea trout or whatever else they could catch on their long lines. At dawn they would head back for the beach and run at full speed on an incoming wave till they ran agound on the flat shelf. Then everyone would come and put rollers under the boats and winch them up to the marketing area. The dory fleet has been there for over 100 years and still is in operation.
    Jay
    https://doryfleet.com/
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 09-08-2018 at 07:51 PM.

Thanks Bob for your kind comments, The model is so nice that I left it with my wife's parents on display with the rest of the collection.
    But now, I am fixing to build a case to protect it and take it to our home where the real boat is tied up.
    I do have a tiny vac and a set of camel hair brushes to de-dust this gem!
    Jay

Thank you Nick for the posting and explanation of how the boats are beached. I thought that there had to be some unique reason for that shape of the bow and stern of those boats.
    When I was a kid in Newport Beach Ca we had a dory fleet that beached their boats on the beach and set up shop selling fresh caught fish right from the boats on the beach. The dorymen would go out and fish at night and fish for mackerel, sea bass, sculpin and sea trout or whatever else they could catch on their long lines. At dawn they would head back for the beach and run at full speed on an incoming wave till they ran agound on the flat shelf. Then everyone would come and put rollers under the boats and winch them up to the marketing area. The dory fleet has been there for over 100 years and still is in operation.
    Jay
    https://doryfleet.com/
    No worries.
    Cobles are right for their landings on the NE coat of England. Scottish cobles are a different shape, whilst elsewhere on the east and south coasts the beach boats are more conventional in shape but with flat floors and full ends.

Here is a model of our H28 "Bright Star" that was made by my father in law Commodore Richard Lawrence. He used a lot of the tools that are supplied by Micro Mark in his work. Dick really enjoyed making models of famous boats and his collection contains nearly twenty models of museum quality. The Commodore passed on at the beginning of this summer, he was 93 years old and had a good life sailing boats and making models of them. Jay
    That's beautiful Jay way beyond my capabilities and to own the working one is out of reach for me.

Regarding cases, I regard them as inconvenient in most average households as boats fall into the three dimensional category, as do sculptures, statues etc for instance.

For the best displays one must be able to walk around it and viewed from all angles to appreciate the workmanship, only a close second to actually being able to touch and handle it.

If you do have the space consider making the case to suit those requirements.

I must be a sensitive soul but I always think 1/2 models on walls look so forlorn and abandoned almost tantamount to being aground.

Looking at the design of the stand, I think that is what the Commodore had in mind?
    Last edited by Chippie; 09-09-2018 at 03:02 AM.

I must be a sensitive soul but I always think 1/2 models on walls look so forlorn and abandoned almost tantamount to being aground.

Fitting out the half model and mounting it on a mirror is a good solution.

That's beautiful Jay way beyond my capabilities and to own the working one is out of reach for me.

Regarding cases, I regard them as inconvenient in most average households as boats fall into the three dimensional category, as do sculptures, statues etc for instance.

For the best displays one must be able to walk around it and viewed from all angles to appreciate the workmanship, only a close second to actually being able to touch and handle it.

If you do have the space consider making the case to suit those requirements.

Looking at the design of the stand, I think that is what the Commodore had in mind?
    Are you thinking of something like this?
    Jay

Regarding cases, I regard them as inconvenient in most average households as boats fall into the three dimensional category, as do sculptures, statues etc for instance. For the best displays one must be able to walk around it and viewed from all angles to appreciate the workmanship, only a close second to actually being able to touch and handle it. If you do have the space consider making the case to suit those requirements. Looking at the design of the stand, I think that is what the Commodore had in mind?
    No question but that it is often difficult to find a place for a case in the ordinary home. It's always surprising how "big" a small model becomes when cased. And, yes, it's nice to be able to examine both sides of a model if possible. That said, though, while a model such as the cobble above risks little not being in a case, a model with great detail and lots of rigging will never survive long without damage if not cased. Dust and other environmental conditions (especially sunlight!) will accelerate deterioration. Handling of any kind risks breakage. It's crazy to produce a work of art over a period often of hundreds of hours and not protect it properly. Just imagine what a bored family cat can do to an uncased full rigged ship model!

The gentleman sitting next to the model in the case above is Vern Leckman. He was a designer and model builder for Disney Studios and a very good friend. The model in the case is so accurately made and aged as to fool the eye in a photograph. Even the sails look real and are stained, ripped and patched. Vern had a way of bending drafting vellum sails over a balloon to make them appear filled with wind. He then would cover the vellum with stips of Kleenex and age them. This is Vern's version of the whaler Charles W Morgan. One of the Whale boats that are stacked on the boat rack has its bow stove in. Vern passed on at 84 years of age a few years ago and was the designer of several major attractions at Disney parks in Anaheim, China and France. He was the best craftsman I have ever known. He also designed the main building at Datona Beach where full size race cars float overhead in the main display room. Vern was a genius!
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 09-10-2018 at 08:51 PM.

Getting sails just right is one of the most difficult things to do. Those are some of the best I've ever seen.

I visited the Walt Disney Family Museum in the Presidio of San Francisco recently. (Definitely worth a visit if you have the chance.) The museum, endowed by his family, chronicles Disney's life. Some may know that he was an avid live steam model railroader. His train, built by his company's model makers, is on display and is quite something. What I did not know, though, is that throughout his life, Walt Disney collected miniatures. There is a display of some of his collection of finely crafted "small things" such as tiny silverware, china, hand tools, and working firearms, all only inches in size.

I wonder if your friend did any work on Disney's model railroad or his miniatures.

Portion of Disney's miniatures collection on display at Disney Family Museum.

I have stopped collecting pond yachts because of space. But pond yachts are by nature more robust, and can be stored in a small place as mine are when I need the room, as at present, to restore two sailing dinghies. Delicate detail scaled models need much more care and I do not feel like building the a dedicated space. I once built a 6ft RC topsail schooner. It sailed out of range one afternoon but if it hadn't I would have had to find another home for it. Eventually the two dinghies will have to find new homes, I already have 4 sailboats and a sea kayak. It's the doing I like, and I tell Anne it keeps me out of the pub.

One of Disney's very talented associates and friends was Ward Kimble. Ward one of Walt's Nine Old Men. He was a steam enthusiast and made all of the steam trains at the Disney parks operate safely and in an enjoyable manner. He also designed and restored them for the park usage. He had a home that was once located in an orange grove out in the Riverside Ca area where he had a
    home with a barn, and a length of track on his property. He would often fire up his switcher and chug out to the end of his property and back. As the area built up and was sub divided, more and more houses were built next to Ward's home and people would complain about smoke coming in their windows and putting soot on curtains and laundry so, Ward had to curtail making much smoke and did not run his steam collection much when I met him.
    In addition, he had one of the largest collections of Marklin toys and trains that I have ever seen! He had several metal Marklin steam ship models that were driven by clockwork that he enjoyed running in his swimming pool! I still shudder when I think of him sending a horrendously valuable antique out for a spin on the Kimble Sea as he called it. Ward was just a kid who never grew up as well as a kind and good friend!

Come to think of it, I haven't grown up yet either.
    Jay

Are you thinking of something like this?
    Jay
    Exactly.

One of Disney's very talented associates and friends was Ward Kimble. Ward one of Walt's Nine Old Men. He was a steam enthusiast and made all of the steam trains at the Disney parks operate safely and in an enjoyable manner. He also designed and restored them for the park usage. He had a home that was once located in an orange grove out in the Riverside Ca area where he had a
    home with a barn, and a length of track on his property. He would often fire up his switcher and chug out to the end of his property and back. As the area built up and was sub divided, more and more houses were built next to Ward's home and people would complain about smoke coming in their windows and putting soot on curtains and laundry so, Ward had to curtail making much smoke and did not run his steam collection much when I met him.
    In addition, he had one of the largest collections of Marklin toys and trains that I have ever seen! He had several metal Marklin steam ship models that were driven by clockwork that he enjoyed running in his swimming pool! I still shudder when I think of him sending a horrendously valuable antique out for a spin on the Kimble Sea as he called it. Ward was just a kid who never grew up as well as a kind and good friend!

Come to think of it, I haven't grown up yet either.
    Jay
    My Dearly Beloved, who is a Disney Freak, recently brought back from the Magic Kingdom for me a nice coffee table book about all of the Disney steam trains, Walt's small live steamers and Ward Kimball's full-size "railroad," and, of course, all the Disney Park steam engines. The original engines at Disneyland, one of which is now actually named the Ward Kimball, were repurposed sugar cane plantation engines first built to carry cars full of sugar cane to the processing sheds. The engines at the newer parks, like Disney World in Orlando FL and the others around the world, were designed "from the rails up" and built new for the new parks. My kids always think I'm crazy that my favorite ride at Disneyland is the train. They've rerouted and expanded the right of way now so it will run around the new "Star Wars Land." I look forward to riding it on the new route.

https://www.amazon.com/All-Aboard-Wo...ey+trains+book

I like the idea of an old cane loco in Star Wars Land.

BTW, Ward Kimball played a mean trombone, and not just Disney Dixie.