Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rant: big fast powerboats

Default Re: Rant: big fast powerboats

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    This^ except we were stepping and rigging the mast, about 60 feet. Not all the standing rigging was yet attached and the mast broke. It was really lucky no one was hurt, but the $10,000 dollar bill presented to the owner of the wake was a sobering moment for him.
    Ouch!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Over the weekend I was out with a friend on his brandy-new 25' cc. He's spent a fair amount of time on the water, but this is the first boat that's HIS, so he's paying a different kind of attention to things.
    After the first half hour, I took the helm. Lesson 1 was to pay less attention to the glorious twin 18" touchscreens, and after that he started to notice that I wasn't just driving straight to the fish, I'd make course corrections to pass astern of this boat or ahead of that boat etc.
    The last hour (when there was plenty of traffic to illustrate the point) was entirely about wake-management and courtesy.

yes, a 400hp 4000lb boat. Stupid-fast, but all you need to do is write the check.
    No adversary is worse than bad advice.

Was sailing on a J22 just downstream of Thunderbolt, GA on the Wilmington River. Thunderbolt Marine is nearby, and they can pull 200’ mega yachts out for work. We saw one of those very Italian looking types coming at us, slowly at first. Suddenly a cloud of smoke emerged from the stern and 80’ of Benjamins jumped up on a plane. The wake was enormous. As it approached we literally lost sight of the shore behind it. Green water over the cabin top.
    Now this is on a narrow tidal river with private docks lining both shores. Lot of damage resulted. Owner of the boat I was on got on the handheld as reported it to the CG.
    $$ doesn’t mean taste, common sense or civility. Too often quite the opposite.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    I am SO tired of big fast powerboats plowing giant wakes close on. Seems like it gets worse every year as manufacturers develop bigger faster boats that can be marketed to anyone with a checkbook and no understanding of common courtesy on the water. Of course it is also worse on a holiday weekend. In our seven hour run from Olympia to home yesterday, I canít count the number of 50+ footers doing 20+ knots that would come up behind us and pass us like they are in the next lane on the freeway. It gives you no time to get away from their massive wakes and of course they never look back to see the pandemonium they have caused. If I see them in time I turn away from their path as soon as I can but often they will alter course as well as Iíve given them more room. Head on is almost as bad but at least we have more warning.

I know this is an age old rant but it really seems to be getting a lot worse and I donít see it changing as I suppose they have as much right to own a boat style of their choice as I do. But it is really starting to spoil my enjoyment of my boat to the point of getting out of it. I would be fine with their high speed plow horses if they would just understand that they need to give smaller slow boats a little room. But it ainít gonna happen as long as there are people with checkbooks bigger than their brains.
    If there anything like I have seen on inland lakes, the could very well be a threat to public safety. Booze and horse power are a bad combo. I saw a sailboat out once, I was always told to stay about 80ft or more from sailboats. That said I swear there was a boat seeing how close he could get to that sailboat. Borderline criminal had something happened.

~Kain Kelly

Sailing the Waitemata Harbour (Auckland, NZ) one had to keep an eye on the ferries, which went fairly fast and had steep wakes.

There might be two or three in close succession: k-whump, k-whump, k-whump.

Fun ramping wakes with a Laser. Not so fun with a Soling or Flying Fifteen.
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! óCole Porter

Eagle Harbor has a fairly restricted channel often filled with 204-car ferries too. Interestingly the ferry wake isn't all that bad (though they do leave a large path of very turbulent water behind, hard to steer a good course through) especially as compared to the sportfisher/cruisers who mostly feel the need to blast into the harbor at full-tilt right up to the 5 mph/no wake buoy. I don't understand enough hydrodynamic theory to say for certain but intuitively it seems like pushing all that water around can't be very efficient.
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

One of the problems is because those boats often have smaller high speed rudders they have greatly reduced steerage at slow speeds. Many powerboat owners are only marginally competent and need the speed for the steerage to feel positive.

The default for a lot of powerboat owners is more throttle at the slightest hint of percieved trouble, even some that you might think know better. Slow speeds with a following breeze, a cross wind or current and their incompetence is blatantly obvious!
    I just assume they are clueless and give them all a wide berth, wait for them to pass or overtake me, whatever their plan might be before I venture out of a slip or marina.

The faster they go the quicker they're away from me.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

There is the 12 ga flare pistol across a bow, something we used to do on the Mekong when a PBR didn't slow down passing one of those riverine bases with lots of boats breasted off.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

There is the 12 ga flare pistol across a bow, something we used to do on the Mekong when a PBR didn't slow down passing one of those riverine bases with lots of boats breasted off.
    Cool! Trade being pissed off at the powerboater for being pissed off at the powerboater and in jail!

Umm... No.

Lovely fantasy --and I've partaken of it myself-- but not a good idea.

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Pitsligo View Post
    Cool! Trade being pissed off at the powerboater for being pissed off at the powerboater and in jail!

Umm... No.

Lovely fantasy --and I've partaken of it myself-- but not a good idea.

Alex
    Didn't say hit the boat.... just using it to indicate distress, which is what will/ could happen if you get hit with the wake. And you are attracting the attention of the nearest vessel.

Then there was the time I was out rowing, got buzzed by a waterskier, who fell off on his next pass. A mistake. Interesting discussion with him about oars and harpoons. End of problem.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

Then there's a ping pong ball with paint and a wrist rocket......
    Elect a clown expect a circus

There are some hand signals that are widely understood.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Fuller View Post
    Wasn't a schooner captain in Pulpit Harbor convicted of a crime doing that a few years ago?
    If I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, eventually they would find me attractive.

Wasn't a schooner captain in Pulpit Harbor convicted of a crime doing that a few years ago?
    I remember an incident with a black powder pistol, but not the details. IIRC he was exonerated for assault with a deadly weapon, on the grounds of self defence, but had his ticket suspended for six months for improper storage of black powder.

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    Grins like these?

My daughters at 70 knots last week.

Kevin

What is the boat and what is powering it?
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

Quote Originally Posted by rbgarr View Post
    No. He was charged with having gunpowder on his vessel, and the judge threw the case out with some choice remarks for the Coast Guard.

The U.S. Coast Guard arrested the wroing man, an administrative law judge in Maine
    suggested in March when he cleared Capt. Neal Parker of charges that he assualted a jet skier who was threatening his schooner.

Judge Peter A. Fitzpatrick ruled that "the Coast Guard has failed to prove that Capt. Parker assaulted the jet ski operator. Indeed, the evidence on this record shows that Mr. Marves (the jet ski operator) may have assaulted the captain and the others aboard the Wendameen."
    Read more at http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread...71s8AVZBHYJ.99

State prosecutors also refused to file charges.

https://archive.bangordailynews.com/...stol-incident/
    Last edited by johnw; 09-17-2018 at 06:36 PM.

What is the boat and what is powering it?
    An Invincible 40 Cat. Quad 400-hp Mercury Racing Outboards.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

No. He was charged with having gunpowder on his vessel, and the judge threw the case out with some choice remarks for the Coast Guard.
    Thank you, Johnw; that was the one I was trying to remember details of in #50.

Alex

Gotta love Maine judges!
    If I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, eventually they would find me attractive.