Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rant: big fast powerboats

Default Rant: big fast powerboats

I am SO tired of big fast powerboats plowing giant wakes close on. Seems like it gets worse every year as manufacturers develop bigger faster boats that can be marketed to anyone with a checkbook and no understanding of common courtesy on the water. Of course it is also worse on a holiday weekend. In our seven hour run from Olympia to home yesterday, I canít count the number of 50+ footers doing 20+ knots that would come up behind us and pass us like they are in the next lane on the freeway. It gives you no time to get away from their massive wakes and of course they never look back to see the pandemonium they have caused. If I see them in time I turn away from their path as soon as I can but often they will alter course as well as Iíve given them more room. Head on is almost as bad but at least we have more warning.

I know this is an age old rant but it really seems to be getting a lot worse and I donít see it changing as I suppose they have as much right to own a boat style of their choice as I do. But it is really starting to spoil my enjoyment of my boat to the point of getting out of it. I would be fine with their high speed plow horses if they would just understand that they need to give smaller slow boats a little room. But it ainít gonna happen as long as there are people with checkbooks bigger than their brains.

Default Re: Rant: big fast powerboats

I'd be thinking more about hiding on a holiday weekend. Behind an island somewhere is best!! / Jim

No doubt they think your boat is picturesque, and want a closer look.

You're a braver man than I, Ron. Bucephalus stayed at the dock for Harbor Days!

There are three weekends a year when I know I will not be out on the water: Memorial Day, July 4th, and Labor Day. There's too high a percentage of dingdongs with too high an expectation of thoughtless, inconsiderate revelry. The rest of the season, they seem to be (typically) less exuberant and in a lower concentration. That doesn't mean they're any less rude, just that there are fewer of them and they move at a less febrile speed.

Education and experience may be the key to improving the situation, but I have no idea how such education could be enacted. I once took a friend out sailing on Liberty Bay, Poulsbo. He was a typical powerboater, and had never been in a small sailboat before. It turns out he loved sailing --right up to the point when a power boat (that he had pointed out as similar to his own) went roaring past and almost shook the spars out of Bucephalus. He was shocked at the effect he had been having, and had the good grace to be deeply chagrined. I don't think he will ever again be complacent about his wake.

But I think you're right that the situation is getting worse in general. Too many people with too little education in the basics of either seamanship or civility.

Where were you in Oly, Ron? I looked for Snoose on Saturday, but didn't see her.

Alex

Being inconsiderate and ignorant is not a requirement for owning a big stink pot, but it sure seems to be a habit among a lot of them.

We went out for a pleasure sail on Saturday and headed out into the channel with a good sized fleet of Thistles and Lightnings on their way out to race.

Down the middle of the channel swamping the 5MPH NO WAKE mark, come two plastic powerboats in the 35-40 range tossing a pair of good wakes. We yelled and pointed, the small boats yelled and pointed and the skippers of the stink pots waved and smiled.

All too typical. Never a Marine Patrol around. Short of following them in and confronting them, theres not much we can do. Any idiot can buy a big boat, turn the key and take off. The sad thing is that a lot of them do.

We skipped the holiday, no point in abusing our selves. Two weeks ago we were out and there must have been a race. At least 100 cigarette 's passed by at full power coming from the north. The noise was astounding, fortunately the wake they throw is not to large. However some steered very close and on both sides of our boat.

I can't say I disagree. The boats today with their deep "V's" throw much bigger wakes than the boats of days past. My 33 footer throws a wake like today's 19 ft center consoles.

It is usually pretty obvious when their checkbook is bigger than their brain.

I was out yesterday and some idiot in a jet ski went past me so closely his spray landed in my cockpit and hit me up at the helm.

Where were you in Oly, Ron? I looked for Snoose on Saturday, but didn't see her.
    We were part of the show at Percival Landing right at the bottom of the main ramp but didn’t arrive until about 11:00am Saturday. We were right under the bow of the 125’ Galene, which may be why you didn’t see us. We kind of looked like Galene’s bow puddin’.

EF85FD3C-4E73-4E85-B8B3-BF160448B316.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by nedL View Post

I was out yesterday and some idiot in a jet ski went past me so closely his spray landed in my cockpit and hit me up at the helm.
    That's a whole other topic of insanity.

I wonít go on the water on a weekend. Ever.

Too many people on the water with no clue, and around here itís all 50mph ski boats or 70mph bass boats.

Peace,
    Robert

What makes up for all the a$$holes out there on the holiday weekend, and the reason we put up with it, are the faces of the kids who come aboard Snoose at the festival and sit in the pilot seat with their hands on the helm, or go below and sit at a settee that is just their size. They get eyes the size of dinner plates and grins from ear to ear.

Of course that probably just encourages their dad to go out and buy a 30 knot bulldozer.
    Last edited by ron ll; 09-04-2018 at 12:58 PM.

1 of the reasons i love boating on a rainy day
    Ragnar B.

We left for a 3-day cruise yesterday at noon -- the Monday of the holiday weekend.

As all these boats were coming back, we were heading out.

Last night at Beausoleil there were 3 boats at anchor. The previous night there would have been 50.

I love being retired.

Jet skis/ wet bikes must be the vessel that creates the most wash, noise and poor behaviour per foot of length

Require "no wake" zones wherever there are small boats.
    The easiest way to do this is to require no wake within 100 feet of another boat.
    Period.

A few years ago I was working on my masthead light while tied up at the dock. The top of the mast is 63 1/2 ft above the water, so my head was probably at 65'. A 45' or so Carver came through the no-wake zone at about 15-20 - aka max wake speed. I grabbed hold of the mast & hung on for dear life - swinging back & forth at least 10' in each direction. Talked about PO'd...

After I finished what I was doing, I came back down & walked over to said Carver (where the owner, who had pulled into his slip, was talking loudly on a cell phone from his fly bridge) & said "Hang Up! I wanna talk to you!". He looked at me & turned away. I started to climb onto the boat & he quickly hung up & asked me what I wanted. "When you came roaring in here at max wake in a no-wake zone, I was at the top of that mast over there & you came damn close to throwing me off!" He looked at me a bit guiltily. "If you ever do that again, I will come over here & throw you into the water - and you better hope I don't knock you unconscious first. Are we clear?" He hastily nodded and said "Yes we are." As I walked back to my boat 2 of the dockboys thanked me.

Ever since then he's come in at about walking speed. Sometimes you just have to talk to them in language they can comprehend.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Sometimes you just have to talk to them in language they can comprehend.
    One of my summer jobs, from the time I was about 12, was running the 26' lobsterboat "ferry" for the island I lived on, between Greenings I. and Southwest Harbor, ME. The first dock at the mouth of SWH is the USCG wharf, but the second is Beal's lobster pound, one of two gas docks in the harbor and where a substantial percentage of the fishermen fueled up.

Once, early in that job, I didn't throttle back quite so far as I should have, entering the harbor, and I will NEVER forget the roar from one of the fishermen, bent over the nozzle as he fueled up, "SLOW DOWN!"

I can't recall just who it was, but Heavens to Mergatroid, did he have a voice! No more concise and forceful a command was ever issued to a 12-year-old. I never again cast so much as a ripple going through the harbor. It was a very formative experience.

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Pitsligo View Post
    One of my summer jobs, from the time I was about 12, was running the 26' lobsterboat "ferry" for the island I lived on, between Greenings I. and Southwest Harbor, ME. The first dock at the mouth of SWH is the USCG wharf, but the second is Beal's lobster pound, one of two gas docks in the harbor and where a substantial percentage of the fishermen fueled up.

Once, early in that job, I didn't throttle back quite so far as I should have, entering the harbor, and I will NEVER forget the roar from one of the fishermen, bent over the nozzle as he fueled up, "SLOW DOWN!"

I can't recall just who it was, but Heavens to Mergatroid, did he have a voice! No more concise and forceful a command was ever issued to a 12-year-old. I never again cast so much as a ripple going through the harbor. It was a very formative experience.

Alex
    I bet it was!

In 2009 I was cruising back from Chattanooga in my sailboat. Some power boats were inching past me. They requested on the VHF that I slow down a bit for a few minutes so they could get on past without throwing up a wake. I obliged. They got past me quickly and were on their way. I was amazed to see that yes there are at least a few exceptions to power boat skippers being jerks.
    Will

I was paddling out of Port Edward, near Prince Rupert this weekend. There is a 5 knot limit about 2/3 of the way into the harbour. A 17 foot aluminum boat went past us at 20 plus, and kicked up virtually no wake. Then a 14 foot skiff went past, at the speed limit. Which is just about hull speed, and kicked up a HUGE wake! Speed limits on the water don't always achieve what they are supposed to.

Quote Originally Posted by mizzenman View Post
    1 of the reasons i love boating on a rainy day
    And the reason we only fish the southern New England coast on weekdays, lot of rude people at boat launches and the sound on weekends, yes retirement is good for peace of mind.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

I've done a fair amount of yachting.
    The most offensive wake ever rocked my boat was a police boat in San Diego.

Garret-

I was gassing up at your fuel dock at Robinhood when a guy came into his slip throwing a big wake. I could hold our boat off the float with my foot but two of the sailboats in nearby slips hooked spreaders because of it. The dockmaster there gave him unshirted hell.
    If I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, eventually they would find me attractive.

Quote Originally Posted by rbgarr View Post
    Garret-

I was gassing up at your fuel dock at Robinhood when a guy came into his slip throwing a big wake. I could hold our boat off the float with my foot but two of the sailboats in nearby slips hooked spreaders because of it. The dockmaster there gave him unshirted hell.
    Great to hear!

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    What makes up for all the a$$holes out there on the holiday weekend, and the reason we put up with it, are the faces of the kids who come aboard Snoose at the festival and sit in the pilot seat with their hands on the helm, or go below and sit at a settee that is just their size. They get eyes the size of dinner plates and grins from ear to ear.

Of course that probably just encourages their dad to go out and buy a 30 knot bulldozer.
    This has to be the best way to develop future boaters and you are to be commended for making the effort.

Doesn't sound like fun. It would almost be worth towing some sort of Prop Catcher line.

They get eyes the size of dinner plates and grins from ear to ear.
    Grins like these?

Screen Shot 2018-09-04 at 5.33.48 PM.jpg

My daughters at 70 knots last week.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    Grins like these?

My daughters at 70 knots last week.

Kevin
    Yeah - but you don't swamp other boats when you're out...

Great pic of happy kids!

Yeah - but you don't swamp other boats when you're out...
    True dat.
    Having the last slip at the seaward end of the dock has turned me into the crabby old guy with a deck brush in hand yelling, " No Wake."

"Slow down," isn't always the answer. The , " No Wake," part is more important than the posted speed limit. Many power boats have two 4- or 6- mph speeds. One, at low rpm, leaves hardly a ripple, but requires attention to the helm to prevent wandering. The other slow speed is at higher rpm, causes the boat to squat, leaves a big pre-planing wake, doesn't break the speed limit, and makes steering real easy. People, being lazy on the whole, mostly seem to prefer the latter, at least according to my observations.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    True dat.
    Having the last slip at the seaward end of the dock has turned me into the crabby old guy with a deck brush in hand yelling, " No Wake."

"Slow down," isn't always the answer. The , " No Wake," part is more important than the posted speed limit. Many power boats have two 4- or 6- mph speeds. One, at low rpm, leaves hardly a ripple, but requires attention to the helm to prevent wandering. The other slow speed is at higher rpm, causes the boat to squat, leaves a big pre-planing wake, doesn't break the speed limit, and makes steering real easy. People, being lazy on the whole, mostly seem to prefer the latter, at least according to my observations.

Kevin
    Some people don't know that they're throwing a big wake at a slow speed. Some people don't care.

Some enjoy being jerks. I thought someone who would run just under the speed limit in the Lake Washington ship canal throwing a huge wake and tell the cops when he was stopped that he was under the limit.....
    Elect a clown expect a circus

huge wake and tell the cops when he was stopped that he was under the limit.....
    Right.That's what some people hope to stand on. Of course, the signs invariably state both a speed limit and a desired result. " Speed Limit 5 ( or 4 or 6) MPH/ No Wake." In many cases siimply, " Slow" "No Wake,"

If the watercop is any good, she'll at least dress the offender down for not adhering to the wake statement on the sign.

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by navydog View Post
    That's a whole other topic of insanity.
    And a whole nother level of stupid.....

Quote Originally Posted by tink View Post
    Jet skis/ wet bikes must be the vessel that creates the most wash, noise and poor behaviour per foot of length
    The new wakeboard boats, designed for making as large a wake as possible have jet sis beat by a long shot. I have to stay well clear in my little 15' runabout or I will be beat to death.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hadfield View Post
    We left for a 3-day cruise yesterday at noon -- the Monday of the holiday weekend.

As all these boats were coming back, we were heading out.

Last night at Beausoleil there were 3 boats at anchor. The previous night there would have been 50.

I love being retired.
    Suuuure.

Rub it in.

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    A few years ago I was working on my masthead light while tied up at the dock. The top of the mast is 63 1/2 ft above the water, so my head was probably at 65'. A 45' or so Carver came through the no-wake zone at about 15-20 - aka max wake speed....

Ever since then he's come in at about walking speed. Sometimes you just have to talk to them in language they can comprehend.
    This^ except we were stepping and rigging the mast, about 60 feet. Not all the standing rigging was yet attached and the mast broke. It was really lucky no one was hurt, but the $10,000 dollar bill presented to the owner of the wake was a sobering moment for him.