Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 45

Thread: Letís do up a thread on Nike

Default Re: Letís do up a thread on Nike

Quote Originally Posted by John of Phoenix View Post
    Might be the longest childhood on record.
    I've tried to explain to my sweetie... if you haven't grown up by age 60 - you don't bloody have to! She, however, remains hopeful.

With the large number of ol' pharts at the Boat Festival this last weekend, the subject of age inevitably arises. And... once again... several folks expressed disbelief about how old I am. Everyone guesses younger. I put it down to the full head of hair, and the chatty/vivacious/flirty attitude. My sweetie says no. She claims is just an accidental side-effect of my lifelong commitment to immaturity. As argumentative as y'all know me to be... I have no comeback to that one.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    I tried to be agreeable, but...

You've have now posted more times than me. I did not create it, and I don't need a moral lesson from someone who calls the first lady a whore...
    WHATABOUTISM

Whataboutism (also known as whataboutery) is a variant of the tu quoque logical fallacy that attempts to discredit an opponent's position by charging them with hypocrisy without directly refuting or disproving their argument.

This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Joe, Joe, Joe... what can we say to you?

Ok... what we can say is 'precisely'. <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

David G
    Harbor Woodworks

^ This

To paraphrase,

"reds, you ignorant sluts."
    The best statement I've seen from this latest carnage came from a student who lived through it -

"My generation will not allow this to continue!"

Remember voting age is 18. Read it and weep reds.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    WHATABOUTISM

Whataboutism (also known as whataboutery) is a variant of the tu quoque logical fallacy that attempts to discredit an opponent's position by charging them with hypocrisy without directly refuting or disproving their argument.
    I'm on record in the Bilge, if you wish to look it up, as a defender of Colin's right to kneel during the national anthem.

I'm also on record as having never called a first lady a whore.

I kept it classy San Diego... you have not. In fact I don't think you give a single whit as to the Tillman's family, until it suited your needs. Myself, I've flown over the battlefield he was killed in, and while it was friendly fire, I'd never consider that a debate point concerning his value system. He sacrificed all, more than Kapernick can ever fathom, and how he was killed is not the point.

I posted that meme not knowing his families desires, and I said I respected there desires and let it go. But you're the one who reposted the meme after I acknowledged their wishes.

Colin Kapernick has sacrificed nothing.

He can kneel for others... but not for himself.
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

I never called Melania a whore. I said Michelle looked as though she knew how to use a hoe. It's just a testament to my subtle subliminal prose that you ASSUMED that I outright called the called a first lady a whore. It seems like you connected the dots all on your own.

More innocent unarmed black men have been KILLED in our own country by white police. Killed exactly just as dead as Tillman. The only difference is his death was artificially celebrated. I don't care if you've flown your whirly bird as a "Contract Man" over the same place he was gunned down by his own. I've lived in places where getting pulled over while driving black would lead to the same result.

Kaepernick IS kneeling for OTHERS and NOT himself - THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT

Last edited by Joe (SoCal); 09-11-2018 at 06:54 AM.

I tried to be agreeable, but...

You've have now posted more times than me. I did not create it, and I don't need a moral lesson from someone who calls the first lady a whore...
    I don't think anyone here but you has called her a whore...

Maybe a moral example from our president?
    (You don't don't have any problems with lying or cheating do you?)

David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Extremist mayor who issues a ban on buying Nike gear... steps on his own (lower lip, yeah... let's say 'lip') and has to reverse his proclamation.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/mayor-l...014152881.html
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

A very good question --

David G
    Harbor Woodworks

I never called Melania a whore. I said Michelle looked as though she knew how to use a hoe. It's just a testament to my subtle subliminal prose that you ASSUMED that I outright called the called a first lady a whore. \
    Really?

Compare it to this picture of Michelle Obama doing the same. See the difference? That's the difference between the two parties
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    Michelleís kinda hot in her gardening cloths.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Michelle's just kinda hot.
    Quote Originally Posted by McMike View Post
    Was just thinkin the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Me 3
    Obviously one knows how to use a hoe and the other ..........

I like you brother, but your bull****ting the wrong crowd.
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

Really?

[/B]I like you brother, but your bull****ting the wrong crowd.

Really? Neither woman actually has a hoe in her hand and one is walking across soft earth in heels. This is a debate?
    "Unrepentant Reprobate"
    Lew Barrett

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin T View Post
    Really? Neither woman actually has a hoe in her hand and one is walking across soft earth in heels. This is a debate?
    Well... there IS some debate. But the 'outrage' about gardening implements and slut-status is mostly just an attempted distraction from discussion of the Nike/Kneeling thing. When ya gots nuttin'.... you goes wit wat ya gots.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Really?

[/B]I like you brother, but your bull****ting the wrong crowd.
    hoe - Hoe or HOE may refer to: Hoe (food), a Korean dish of raw fish. Hoe (letter), a Georgian letter. Hoe (tool), a hand tool used in gardening and farming. Backhoe, a piece of excavating equipment.

?????

hoe - Hoe or HOE may refer to: Hoe (food), a Korean dish of raw fish. Hoe (letter), a Georgian letter. Hoe (tool), a hand tool used in gardening and farming. Backhoe, a piece of excavating equipment.

?????
    You get the Alfred E Neuman award today Joe...
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

northern Georgia, or sometimes Mississippi Delta USA

(JACKSON, Miss.) ó Mississippiís public safety commissioner disclosed Saturday that state police will no longer buy Nike products, saying the athletic apparel maker is unpatriotic and fails to support those in uniform.

ďAs commissioner of the Department of Public Safety, I will not support vendors who do not support law enforcement and our military,Ē Commissioner Marshall Fisher said in a statement Saturday to The Associated Press.

It isnít immediately clear how much gear the state police agency buys from Nike or if it purchases directly from the athletic apparel maker. Department spokesman Warren Strain said the department has bought shoes and shirts from the company, as well as tactical training uniforms.

But Mississippiís Republican establishment is jumping to support the cause, with Gov. Phil Bryant lauding his appointeeís decision.

ďI support the commissionerís decision,Ē Bryant said in a statement. The governor said the commissioner has the right to choose vendors his department does business with ďand itís not going to be a company that pays an individual who has slandered our fine men and women in law enforcement.Ē

http://time.com/5397327/mississippi-...ke-kaepernick/

I just tried to send a message to the governor. When I hit send, it said there was an error and it wasn't sent. http://www.governorbryant.ms.gov/Pages/Contact.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy W View Post
    (JACKSON, Miss.) — Mississippi’s public safety commissioner disclosed Saturday that state police will no longer buy Nike products, saying the athletic apparel maker is unpatriotic and fails to support those in uniform.

“As commissioner of the Department of Public Safety, I will not support vendors who do not support law enforcement and our military,” Commissioner Marshall Fisher said in a statement Saturday to The Associated Press.

It isn’t immediately clear how much gear the state police agency buys from Nike or if it purchases directly from the athletic apparel maker. Department spokesman Warren Strain said the department has bought shoes and shirts from the company, as well as tactical training uniforms.

But Mississippi’s Republican establishment is jumping to support the cause, with Gov. Phil Bryant lauding his appointee’s decision.

“I support the commissioner’s decision,” Bryant said in a statement. The governor said the commissioner has the right to choose vendors his department does business with “and it’s not going to be a company that pays an individual who has slandered our fine men and women in law enforcement.”

http://time.com/5397327/mississippi-...ke-kaepernick/

I just tried to send a message to the governor. When I hit send, it said there was an error and it wasn't sent. http://www.governorbryant.ms.gov/Pages/Contact.aspx
    Ignorance and venality are still among us.

ETA - My message went thru.
    Last edited by David G; 09-16-2018 at 12:01 PM.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Ignorance and venality are still among us.

ETA - My message went thru.
    3 tries all ended with "Sorry, an error occurred while processing your request. ".

Maybe Mississippi will get a new governor out of this!

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    Maybe Mississippi will get a new governor out of this!
    Incumbent Republican Governor Phil Bryant is ineligible to run for a third term due to term limits. The repugs will probably find another as bad and they will likely win again.

. . .and itís not going to be a company that pays an individual who has slandered our fine men and women in law enforcement.
    Where has Nike slandered members of law enforcement? For that matter, where has Kaepernick slandered law enforcement?

anybody? bueller? bueller??

maybe bdub will stop arguing about garden implements long enough to give the question a go. . .
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

By the way. If you change the subject to look appreciative, the message will go through.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy W View Post
    By the way. If you change the subject to look appreciative, the message will go through.
    Wasn't my trick. I was frankly condemnatory.

Pointed out that CK's stated position was the protest was about racial inequity. Mentioned that he's stated it had nothing to do with disapproval of flag, etc. Said his interpretation was either remarkably ignorant, or deplorably, cynically, venal.

Finished by saying this sort of thing must be why my Alabama friends say, 'At least we're not from Mississippi'.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

https://www.wapt.com/article/governo...e-ban/23307352

The Mississippi chapter of the ACLU issued a statement Tuesday:

"Nike recently featured Colin Kaepernick prominently in a new advertisement campaign. Kaepernick took a knee during the National Anthem to bring attention to the lack of accountability of law enforcement officers who kill unarmed black men and boys. President Donald Trump has tried to divide our country by re-framing the lawful protest as unpatriotic and disrespectful of the military and an assault on law enforcement. In response to Nikeís ad, Commissioner of Public Safety Marshall Fisher and Governor Phil Bryant joined President Trump in his divisive culture war by implementing and supporting a ban by the Mississippi Department of Public Safety on the purchase of Nike products. The below quote can be attributed to ACLU of Mississippi Executive Director and retired U.S. Army Colonel Jennifer Riley Collins:

ďMississippi has a long history of failing to acknowledge and hold accountable those who commit injustices against black and brown people and other ethnic minorities. Commissioner Fisherís decision to not purchase Nike products is yet another attempt to change the narrative and refuse to acknowledge that black and brown people are disproportionately being killed at the hands of law enforcement without accountability.

ďLike, Marshall Fisher, I too served this nation in uniform. I did so proudly and honorably in peace and war because I believe that every American should have the right to exercise the freedoms for which I fought. Both governmental officials should be reminded that they represent all of Mississippi and are sworn to uphold the constitution, which includes the freedom of speech and right to peaceful protest.

ďCommissioner Fisher, with the governorís aid, is trying to use the power of his public office to prevent others from expressing their support for Colin Kaepernick. Commissioner Fisherís decision is a clear response to political speech with which he disagrees. The most fundamental precept of the First Amendment is that the government cannot suppress one side of a public debate. The government cannot impose ideological litmus tests on government contractors.

ďAbout 75 years ago, the Supreme Court held in the Barnette decision that Ďno official, high or petty, can prescribe what shall be orthodox in politics, nationalism, religion, or other matters of opinion or force citizens to confess by word or act their faith therein.í Mississippians individually can use their power in the marketplace to express their satisfaction or dissatisfaction and advocate for or against political, social, and economic change. We saw this during the Boston Tea Party, the Montgomery bus boycott, and the campaign to divest from businesses operating in apartheid South Africa. The government and our state leaders in their official capacity, including Marshall Fisher and Governor Bryant, however, cannot participate in unconstitutional efforts to stamp out First Amendment-protected campaigns.

ďWhatever you may think about Nike or Colin Kaepernick, political protests are a legitimate form of non-violent speech, and are protected by the First Amendment. When Kaepernick took a knee, it was not in opposition to law enforcement or the military nor was it disrespectful to this country. It was in protest of the pervasive racial injustice that still remains in our country. If Mississippi is to ever escape the vestiges of its divided past and move forward to become a place of hospitality and opportunity for all, our stateís leaders must focus on legitimate governmental issues.Ē"

The organization says that Bryant's support of the Nike ban is a violation of the First Amendment right of free speech.