Page 1 of 5 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Letís do up a thread on Nike

Default Letís do up a thread on Nike

How long till Trump weighs in via Twitter?

Good on Nike btw
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Default Re: Letís do up a thread on Nike

This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

They knew there would be manufactured outrage over this and "did it anyway."

Yep, good on them
    Tom

"Leave the gun, take the cannolis"

I think I need a new pair of sneakers.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

'There's no such thing as bad publicity'

Source: often associated with Phineas T. Barnum, the 19th century American showman and circus owner.

Yes totally agree that Nike knew there would be 'outrage' over this, but strongly suspect that it was done with the aim to significantly increase their bottom line.
    Nike seized the moment and acted like capitalists.

Would they have 'sacrificed everything' to do it (advertisement per their ad in Post #2)? I doubt it. It was a marketing decision.

The question is would Nike have done it if it would seriously and significantly decrease their bottom line?
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

Last edited by P.I. Stazzer-Newt; 09-04-2018 at 12:23 PM.
    Creationists aren't mad - they're possessed of demons.

Quote Originally Posted by Rum_Pirate View Post

Yes totally agree that Nike knew there would be 'outrage' over this, but strongly suspect that it was done with the aim to significantly increase their bottom line.
    Nike seized the moment and acted like capitalists.

Nobody would deny that corporations are loyal, first and foremost, to their bottom line. But you might try thinking with a bit more subtlety about this move.... would Nike do this, if they didn't think that there was a constituency whose sentiments are in line with Kapernick's stand? Would they alientate their customer base intentionally.... or does this move appeal to their customer base?

Would they have 'sacrificed everything' to do it (advertisement per their ad in Post #2)? I doubt it. It was a marketing decision.

I have no idea what you're trying to say here.... Nike themselves aren't 'sacrificing' a single thing.

The question is would Nike have done it if it would seriously and significantly decrease their bottom line?
    Of COURSE not... but the fact that they made this move demonstrates that they believe that Kapenick's bravery and sacrifice, resonates with Nike's customer base.

Your criticism of Nike for doing this is inappropriate... unless you'd criticize every other corporation for doing what THEY believed was in their best interests.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Let the Flaggots heads explode.

Of course they knew it would be controversial. There are a LOT of loudmouth RWW sorts out there willing to jump up and down over silly chit.

But they also are smart enough to know that most folks are also smart enough to recognize the faux outrage... misplaced outrage... nontroversy for what it is. What... you don't think they looked at the polling to see if their adopting of this particular ballplayer would be bad for their brand?

This will actually help redeem their brand - after a long stretch of sweatshop-related labor issues, and some #MeToo issues, and some 'boy's club' issues, and some lesser management kerfuffles that mostly stock market analysts care about.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

So why crop the afro?
    I don't care to know what the tough do when the going gets tough.

I am interested in what the enlightened do.

First they destroyed their Keurig covfefe makers, now their shoes... and socks and jerseys and hats and etc.

Just because they hate free speech.

Sweet Mother of God reds are Stupid.
    The best statement I've seen from this latest carnage came from a student who lived through it -

"My generation will not allow this to continue!"

Remember voting age is 18. Read it and weep reds.

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    Nobody would deny that corporations are loyal, first and foremost, to their bottom line.
    Right.

But you might try thinking with a bit more subtlety about this move.... would Nike do this, if they didn't think that there was a constituency whose sentiments are in line with Kapernick's stand? Would they alientate their customer base intentionally.... or does this move appeal to their customer base?
    Marketing move to appeal to that base with direct intention to increase Nike's bottom line, profits and bonuses.

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein;5665584[SIZE=2
    ][/SIZE]Of COURSE not... but the fact that they made this move demonstrates that they believe that Kapenick's bravery and sacrifice, resonates with Nike's customer base.
    Rubbish it was a capitalistic marketing move. Did they support the anti -'illegal immigrant child separation', there was a sugnificant move there and a very humanitarian issue. Did they? No, because it would not benefit their bottom line.

Their action is not really the 'humanitarian' support but done to benefit their own agenda.

Your criticism of Nike for doing this is inappropriate... unless you'd criticize every other corporation for doing what THEY believed was in their best interests.
    I am not criticizing Nike for doing so. I am pointing out what they did and the reasons why they did it. Why do you appear to object to that?

It was done for their (Nike's) own best interests, not for Colin Kapernick or the reason why he 'took a knee', but for their profits etc.

I am stating that ALL corporations do what THEY believe is in the best interests for their company's growth, bottom line, profits, dividends and bonuses.

Oh oh.

They will bounce back.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/04/nike...aepernick.html
    Nike shares fall as backlash erupts over new ad campaign featuring Colin Kaepernick

• Nike shares are falling Tuesday morning after the company revealed a new ad campaign featuring Colin Kaepernick.
    • The news of Kaepernick, who in 2016 decided not to stand for the national anthem to protest racial injustice, becoming the face of Nike marketing sparked some backlash from consumers on social media.
    • #NikeBoycott was trending on Twitter, with some people saying they were going to burn their Nike sneakers.

Lauren Thomas | @laurenthomasx3
    Published 39 Mins Ago Updated 13 Mins AgoCNBC.com

Nike also stuck with Tiger Woods through thick and thin.
    Lance Armstrong, an out and out liar, was dropped like a hot derailleur.
    IMMIGRANTS BUILT AMERICA - IMMIGRANTS BUILD AMERICA

Marketing move to appeal to that base with direct intention to increase Nike's bottom line, profits and bonuses.
    Nobody is arguing against that idea.... and I admitted so, myself.

Rubbish it was a capitalistic marketing move. Did they support the anti -'illegal immigrant child separation', there was a sugnificant move there and a very humanitarian issue. Did they? No, because it would not benefit their bottom line.
    You're saying the same thing, over and over again. To repeat: yes, they did it because the thought it would be to their commercial advantage.

Their action is not really the 'humanitarian' support but done to benefit their own agenda.
    WHO said it had ANYTHING to do with 'humanitarian support'? You apprently invented that idea for yourself.

I am not criticizing Nike for doing so. I am pointing out what they did and the reasons why they did it. Why do you appear to object to that?
    Object? Where did I object?

It was done for their (Nike's) own best interests, not for Colin Kapernick or the reason why he 'took a knee', but for their profits etc.
    Now you're repeating yourself.

I am stating that ALL corporations do what THEY believe is in the best interests for their company's growth, bottom line, profits, dividends and bonuses.
    No kidding.

Too bad you completely missed the key message of what they did: namely, the recognition that their customer base (in their considered opinion) are FAVORABLE to Colin Kapernick's protestations.... THAT is the key point. The fact that Kapernick's actions are viewed positively is the real revelation here... NOT the fact that Nike is exploiting that opinion. Your attempt to divert attention FROM this key point is pretty obvious.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    Nike also stuck with Tiger Woods through thick and thin.
    Lance Armstrong, an out and out liar, was dropped like a hot derailleur.
    You mention what Lance Armstrong was "an out and out liar'. What was Tiger Woods?

To repeat: yes, they did it because the thought it would be to their commercial advantage..
    Which is what I said in my post and for which you took me to task.

Too bad you completely missed the key message of what they did: namely, the recognition that their customer base (in their considered opinion) are FAVORABLE to Colin Kapernick's protestations.... THAT is the key point. The fact that Kapernick's actions are viewed positively is the real revelation here... NOT the fact that Nike is exploiting that opinion. Your attempt to divert attention FROM this key point is pretty obvious.
    Just take a knee.
    The best statement I've seen from this latest carnage came from a student who lived through it -

The dingbattery is deep in this thread. Wear your waders...
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

I care more about this guy being able to capitalize on this than how Nike gets along. Not a godamned thing matters from now until November 6 and it looks like the rock rolling down the hill is finally turning into a landslide. Never vote Republican. Never.
    Study Peace

Which is what I said in my post and for which you took me to task.
    I 'took you to task' because you expressed a particularly irrelevant point, about Nike looking to take commercial advantage with Kapernick. NOBODY disagreed with you, and I certainly didn't.... yet you kept trying to imply that there was something nefarious or disingenuous about it....

...all the while missing the only IMPORTANT part of the topic: the fact that Nike was betting that Kapernick is getting broad enough support, to appeal to the Nike customer base.

And finally, 'taking you to task' is criticism... not personal disparagement. I think I am compelled to state this, because you've demonstrated that you don't understand the difference.

nike stock is up 47% from this time last year. I suspect it will continue to rise. Those shoes being burned today will have to be replaced.

David G
    Harbor Woodworks

I 'took you to task' because you expressed a particularly irrelevant point, about Nike looking to take commercial advantage with Kapernick. NOBODY disagreed with you, and I certainly didn't.... yet you kept trying to imply that there was something nefarious or disingenuous about it....

...all the while missing the only IMPORTANT part of the topic: the fact that Nike was betting that Kapernick is getting broad enough support, to appeal to the Nike customer base.

And finally, 'taking you to task' is criticism... not personal disparagement. I think I am compelled to state this, because you've demonstrated that you don't understand the difference.

Read Post # 5.

The fact that Nike looking to take commercial advantage with Kapernick is actually a particularly relevant point.
    Done to increase their bottom line and not for direct support of Kapernick and his stance.
    If they were sincere about Kapernick and his stance they would have supported him and it long ago, e.g. when he first did it.
    Just pointing out how disingenuous and insincere they are about it. No more no less.

NOBODY disagreed with you, and I certainly didn't.
    LOL.

So, since you agree with me/my post, why the negative 'criticism' about my post?

Quote Originally Posted by John of Phoenix View Post
    First they destroyed their Keurig covfefe makers, now their shoes... and socks and jerseys and hats and etc.
    Don't forget the Yeti coolers!
    No adversary is worse than bad advice.

The fact that Nike looking to take commercial advantage with Kapernick is actually a particularly relevant point.
    Done to increase their bottom line and not for direct support of Kapernick and his stance.
    LOL!

You keep saying this, as if it had any significance. NOBODY disagrees that Nike is doing it for commercial purposes.

So WHAT? What does it matter?

Say it a few more times... it will continue to be as irrelevant as it was before.

If they were sincere about Kapernick and his stance they would have supported him and it long ago, e.g. when he first did it.
    Just pointing out how disingenuous and insincere they are about it. No more no less.
    Well, there's your problem: trying to associate the word 'sincerity' with a corporation.

Corporations aren't people. They don't have souls. The word 'sincerity' doesn't apply. Corporation have only one objective, one goal, one ethos: the making of money. The ONLY time a corporation behaves in a manner which would SEEM to be representing a human value, is when it becomes a public relations advantage.

Trying to criticize a corporation for failing to be human is laughable.

Now, criticizing Kapernick is entirely fair. He IS a human, and you can disagree with his actions, or agree with them. Nike apparently believes that their customer base thinks Kapernick is a brave individual, standing up for human rights. Are they right? I don't know, but corporations don't do stuff like this without carefully considering it first.

Corporations aren't people.
    Maybe not physical people, but the SCOTUS appears to endow them with 'personhood'.
    Ever since Citizens United, the Supreme Court’s 2010 decision allowing unlimited corporate and union spending on political issues, Americans have been debating whether, as Mitt Romney said, “Corporations are people, my friend.” Occupy Wall Street protestors decried the idea, late night comedians mocked it, and reform groups proposed amending the Constitution to eliminate it. Today, however, the Supreme Court endorsed corporate personhood. — holding that business firms have rights to religious freedom under federal law. Not only do corporations have rights, their rights are stronger than yours. The question came to the Supreme Court in a challenge to regulations implementing President Obama’s landmark health care law. Those regulations require employers with 50 or more employees to provide those employees with comprehensive health insurance, which must include certain forms of contraception. The contraception requirement was designed to protect the rights of women. Studies show that access to contraception has positive benefits for women’s education, income, mental health, and family stability.
    Protecting women’s rights, according to the Court, isn’t a good enough reason for the government to force a business corporation, at least a privately held one like chain craft store Hobby Lobby, to include birth control in its insurance contrary to the business owner’s wishes. At least that’s what the Supreme Court, in a 5-4 decision, held in Hobby Lobby. Federal statutes guaranteeing religious freedom to “persons” apply equally to closely held business corporations, and those corporations’ religious liberty is “substantially burdened” by having to provide their employees with contraception. So the rights of employees have to give way to the rights of the corporation.
    https://www.huffingtonpost.com/adam-...b_5543833.html
    Trying to criticize a corporation for failing to be human is laughable.
    It would be. However I'm not doing that, just pointing out then reasons why they did what they did.

Now, criticizing Kapernick is entirely fair. He IS a human, and you can disagree with his actions, or agree with them. Nike apparently believes that their customer base thinks Kapernick is a brave individual, standing up for human rights. Are they right? I don't know, but corporations don't do stuff like this without carefully considering it first.
    I am leaving Mr Kapernick out of it.
    Nike did what they did. I gave my observations on why they did it. You agreed with me. You pointed out that nobody disagreed with me. What is your problem?

Nike's shares dropped in the short term, but will probably recover in the long term . . . capitalism at work.

Maybe not physical people, but the SCOTUS appears to endow them with 'personhood'.
    I'm not a lawyer, but it appears that you're even less familiar with the concept you speak of, than I am. The 'personhood' of a corporation is something called, by lawyers, a 'legal fiction'.... intended to help apply the laws to corporations, in some cases... but not all.

What I said about corporations NOT being people is still true.... trying to judge corporations by the same standards as human beings is a fool's errand.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wright View Post
    Kaepernick has been under contract with Nike since 2011. Since they didn't end the contract when controversy arose it's reasonable to guess that they have some sympathy with his views, as well as appreciating his commercial value.
    My guess: it's far more the latter (commercial value), than the former (sympathy for his views).

Why would anyone expect a corporation to do differently?

A careful look at the very real impact of protests against this ad. Whatever your beliefs... you gotta appreciate the serious commitment from folks like #mustard --

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...143300306.html
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

I'm not a lawyer, but it appears that you're even less familiar with the concept you speak of, than I am. The 'personhood' of a corporation is something called, by lawyers, a 'legal fiction'.... intended to help apply the laws to corporations, in some cases... but not all.

What I said about corporations NOT being people is still true.... trying to judge corporations by the same standards as human beings is a fool's errand.
    I'm not a lawyer, and have no input in it. You will have to go and argue 'corporate personhood' is a 'legal fiction'(LOL) with the US Supreme Court .

I repeat once again that I am not trying to judge corporations by the same standards as human beings.

I pointed out Nike's reasons for doing what they did, and which you agreed, but then you hopped on your high horse and tried to 'get' at me.

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    A careful look at the very real impact of protests against this ad. Whatever your beliefs... you gotta appreciate the serious commitment from folks like #mustard --

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...143300306.html
    People that burn/destroy their 'Nike' products' are foolish.

Nike have already got their money from them.

Nike would probably welcome many more to buy products and destroy them.
    Adds to Nike's sales revenue.
    Provides additional publicity, which will likely result in adding to Nike's sales.
    A win-win for marketing dept all round, probably bigger bonuses too. (except for the intermediary minor drop in shoe price).

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wright View Post
    Of course it's an economic decision, but don't forget that Phil Knight has been a major contributor to charities, health research, climate change research, etc. You have to figure that Nike corporation has more "social conscience" than say a goddamn New York real estate company and escort service.
    That's a fair point.. although while it may be true that selected individual CEO's may demonstrate a social conscience by speech or by philanthropy, it's most often not connected to how their corporation behaves. Even wealthy CEO's are constrained by their board of directors, who are responsible to the shareholders.

The great Yeti protest! How could I forget?
    "If Yeti can't stand behind the NRA, I ain't standing behind Yeti no more!"

Yes, by all means, burn your Nikes into a puddle of goo then go buy several pair of Converse in protest. That'll show 'em.

LMAO

Kapernick sacrificed his career and millions of dollars.

In this ad, Nike holds him up as a model of living and standing by one's principles; sacrifice for the good. Yet, Nike itself sacrifices nothing.

Now, the ad copy does read, " "...even if it requires sacrifice...", and so is not a demand for sacrifice. Therefore, NIKE's lack of sacrifice is not in literal conflict with its ad's copy.

It is, by not sacrificing, while lauding sacrifice by others, acting against the spirit of its ad copy, however. In that sense, Nike is being disingenuous.( In street talk, it takes a big set for them to be saying that. Of course, as a huge marketing organization, a big set is what it has.)

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.