Thread: Family of 5 flip kayack on Lk Superior; only mother survives

Default Family of 5 flip kayack on Lk Superior; only mother survives

https://www.inquisitr.com/5052952/fa...lake-superior/

Tragic, of course, but illustrating ignorance on many levels.

Default Re: Family of 5 flip kayack on Lk Superior; only mother survives

Very sad.

A terrible tragedy for that family.
    However kayaking 4 miles on across big cold water, 3 very young kids and thunder storms. Risking the lives of your whole family for nothing and losing, what could be worse then that to live with.
    Last edited by navydog; 09-04-2018 at 07:07 AM.

No mention of lifejacket wear.

Tragic for all but I shudder to imagine what that three year old felt as she realized she was going to die.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by navydog View Post
    A terrible tragedy for that family.

However kayaking 4 miles on a pitch black night across big cold water, 3 very young kids and thunder storms. Gee what could go wrong!

They departed at 1 pm in daylight. It was midnight before the survivor was found.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Ok my error, however there is no excuse for the parents.

What kayak takes five people?
    Creationists aren't mad - they're possessed of demons.

The reports I heard was that they were wearing life jackets. I'm also curious about a 5 person kayak. Tragic story.
    Tom

The header shows a picture of an aluminum canoe. Either the picture or the description is wrong. I'm also curious about the chain of events. Perhaps further details will clarify.

It is going to be revealed that they were inexperienced. Everything about this points to it.
    Last edited by navydog; 09-04-2018 at 08:17 AM.

This happened just out my back door. Every year it seems like at least one person dies in the summer here in the bay, and at least one person dies in the winter going through the ice. The funny thing about the Apostle Islands, is that for how close they look on a map (or from shore), they are really isolated. With strong currents around the islands, seiche, coupled with shifting winds and big weather that can kick up out of the blue (literally), it can go from calm to steep 6-8 ft washing machine like chop in no time, and will vary a ton from different channels and islands. More than once, we've been out with our two boys in a very seaworthy center console skiff I built and I've turned right around past the launch with me not wanting to be a headline. I've also had rental kayakers scold me as they paddle past 6 inches from 55 degree water with no way to stay warm while I'm rowing a 14' peapod I built. I just nod along, sparing them a heavy handed compare and contrast of our chosen craft. Also, every single cell provider here is really spotty, and I'm always on folks to carry at least a handheld VHF radio as an essential part of a survival kit. It sounds like the distress call didn't even get received until hours after it was sent. I've lent my handheld rig more than once, especially with well meaning friends who (against my advice) head out in some old ski boat with a long-in-the-tooth mercruiser they don't know how to fix and no other aux. power. As kid growing up a couple hours south of here, I read everything I could about the lake and the bay, and whenever I'm out, I can't help but think of just how littered the lake bottom is with wrecks and bodies. Same thing with a good buddy I have, who has a C-dory. We are always amazed more people don't die here. ugh. Neither my wife or I slept real well Sunday night. There are so many folks who come up here thinking this is a lake in the same way all the thousands of inland lakes are, just bigger, but it's not. Just so, so heartbreaking. Not for any macabre reasons, but I can link any local news that comes my way from Bayfield if folks are interested.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

https://abc7.com/kayaker-killed-in-b...l-rey/4138086/

here's another.
    Even my lil town of Gig Harbor, Folks in rental kayaks lime around in the narrow entrance. Most have no idea of the danger of cold water.
    Cop chased me down a few years ago in Port Townsend, thought he was going to nick me for hellraising, he just asked me to be careful of the kayakers,knowing they are mostly rentals.

wizbang, ain't that the truth. just more heartbreak. I can't imagine having a family member die like that. One shudders to think of the train wreck that was that woman and a power boat. I try so hard to not get too righteous when talking folks through safety, etc. It 's the same when I try to get friends and neighbors around me to understand why I wear a full compliment of kevlar and class II chainsaw gear. I can just hear how pretentious I might sound and look to them. Maybe I wouldn't listen to myself either. There are so many ways to have some cheap (or 350$ or so with the saw gear) insurance against tragedy. That said, I also know that there but the grace go I...Okay! back to work!

Quote Originally Posted by P.I. Stazzer-Newt View Post
    What kayak takes five people?
    What _13 foot_ kayak takes 5 people?

Life jackets or not, this was an exercise in bad judgement for many reasons.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Ok my error, however there is no excuse for the parents.
    No malice intended; I was just going for accuracy. I agree.

A buddy--a retired USCG Rescue Swimmer--now works in Washington for the CG Boating Safety division. Of all groups of boaters, paddlecraft users make his job the hardest. Its not the passionate, " real, " paddlers, but the rest of the people. Yes, renters. But also, he calls out the family that goes to big box store and buys a kayak for 150 bucks while doing their grocery or clothing shopping. These people are not boaters, nor are those selling the yaks boaters, so they get no info whatsoever about safety, courtesy , etc.

And, his office is frustrated at how to reach them with even with simplistic messaging. "Real," boats use ramps and marinas where bulletin boards, pamphlet racks and the occasional seminar or meet-and-greet table can be set up. But where do you place those things to reach kayakers? They can't even reach those people with ads, as they are not boaters/ paddlers in the traditional sense and so are not visiting the same websites, subscribing to any of the magazines etc that, " we," boating enthusiasts do. The numbers show it, canoe and kayak deaths have been on therise for several years, though they leveled off last year. In any event , canoe/ kayak safety is something USCG has a bug about, right now, according to my friend.
    Screen Shot 2018-09-04 at 1.14.08 PM.jpg

Full 2017 USCG Boating Safety stats available here: http://www.uscgboating.org/library/a...stics-2017.pdf

Kevin

unknown sailboats lookin pretty safe

Quote Originally Posted by johngsandusky View Post
    The header shows a picture of an aluminum canoe. Either the picture or the description is wrong. I'm also curious about the chain of events. Perhaps further details will clarify.
    I chose to post just one of several versions of the story Google listed. I believe the Canoe pic is just a stock photo. Having cruised the Apostle islands several times over the years, I find Sea Kayaks fairly common, but traditional canoes very rare. People realize they are not suited to open choppy waters of Lk Superior, despite the success of the Voyaguers of old.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Scheuer View Post
    I chose to post just one of several versions of the story Google listed. I believe the Canoe pic is just a stock photo. Having cruised the Apostle islands several times over the years, I find Sea Kayaks fairly common, but traditional canoes very rare. People realize they are not suited to open choppy waters of Lk Superior, despite the success of the Voyaguers of old.
    I suspect that the Journo got it wrong. I doubt that any one markets a five hole kayak.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Anyone doubt they may have piled 3 kids on deck?

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    Anyone doubt they may have piled 3 kids on deck?
    What is more likely? A journo ignorant of small boat names, or a kayak with lots of freeboard and spare buoyancy?
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Pygmy builds a 3 hole version of their double. Put 2 kids in one hole, and the little one in Mom or Dad's lap.

Forget "hole" count. I believe that I read in one of the articles that they were in a 13-ft SIT-ON-TOP kayak. That fact just adds to the ignorance quotient.

A story I read said it was a sit-on-top. Presumably designed for two with the kids piled on wherever. It also said they were "experienced" but suggested this only meant that this wasn't the first time they'd paddled out like that. That story also said the "911" call went to a family member, instead of to 911 itself. I've seen this before, there's an emergency and the first thought for some reason is to call a family member instead of the authorities themselves. Following even the most basic safety steps would have prevented this tragedy.
    -Dave

A sit on top makes sense---- in terms of having five people aboard. It does not make sense in any other fashion
    Elect a clown expect a circus

Kevin, thanks for that chart. It's handy to have data support what we all feel intuitively, and it might help better convey safety concerns to people on the water rather than just brow beating from a soap box, which i try to avoid, but feel like I fall short. Also, here is the local update:
    http://www.apg-wi.com/ashland_daily_...f7b94d674.html
    Hopefully it'll open w/o a paywall for anyone interested. The gist was that hypothermia was the cause of death. ugh, again. I had a meeting up at little sand bay regarding a boat project for the NPS this morning, and the project manager got called out at midnight to search-basically anybody who could search went out- he said visibility and conditions were terrible. The boat that found the woman was the Kiyi, a 102' research vessel (she looks like a steel trawler) from Ashland. I can't even imagine the sheer terror of being out there on a sit-on-top with my family.

After the capsize they, except for Mom, tried to swim to a nearby island, and didn't make it. When I was taught water safety, back in BC, I was told never to swim for "nearby" land. It is always further than you think.

Water safety? We don't need no stinkin' water safety.

I remember the account of a family of twelve that rented a twelve ft row boat, swamped and all drowned fifty feet from land. None could swim.

You know, this was a horrible, tragic incident, that happened to a family that, I at least, feel are a part of our community of boat loving people.
    Now is a time for sorrow and support for the mother that survived, whether or not she reads it here. I think she is suffering a burden few know.
    There is too much meanness in the air at this time, as it is.
    It really is disturbing to hear some of the comments here in this section of the forum.
    More suitable for the bilge. It is disappointing and I feel rather self-serving.
    Last edited by jackster; 09-06-2018 at 05:16 AM. Reason: spelling

I think it depends on how much responsibility the mother had regarding the death of three children. It's very hard to absolve the parents of blame. In fact one or both bear full responsibility for a reckless event and the deaths of their children. It would not be surprising if the state charges her with a crime.

Surely if it was a sit-on-top kayak, they would have righted it and climbed back on?

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Surely if it was a sit-on-top kayak, they would have righted it and climbed back on?

Rick
    Basic small boat rule: if the boat is capsized, stay with the boat. I'd guess the boat drifted away along with the paddles making it impossible for an adult holding 3 children to catch up to with the wind taking it away. The story makes it sound like the mother swam for the boat then was separated.

Right, if it was that windy, the boat could have been out of reach very quickly. So the mother might have swum for the boat while the father stayed with the children. Horrible.

We had 5 children drown when caught in a capsized cruiser just out the front of our place, many years ago. There were many recriminations then too, of course. We had two guys drown when their tinnie flipped one night. We had a girl killed when the speedboat she was in rammed an oyster lease. So often, in these cases, just a few easy measures or a bit more thought would have prevented fun from turning to tragedy. I agree that now is not the time to be appointing blame but it's hard not to think about the things that could and should have been done. When you live on the water, you see so many good and bad practices.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by jackster View Post
    You know, this was a horrible, tragic incident, that happened to a family that, I at least, feel are a part of our community of boat loving people.
    Now is a time for sorrow and support for the mother that survived, weather or not she reads it here. I think she is suffering a burden few know.
    There is too much meanness in the air at this time, as it is.
    It really is disturbing to hear some of the comments here in this section of the forum.
    More suitable for the bilge. It is disappointing and I feel rather self-serving.
    I agree.

My grandfather and uncles were the last of the North Shore dory fisherman. None of them knew how to swim. As a kid, I thought it strange and asked why. They all had the same answer, "you fall in that lake, you don't come back up"