Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 89

Thread: 1962 Tasman Seabird - New Deck

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Default Re: 1962 Tasman Seabird - New Deck

Onto happier days.

I gave the deck 2 coats of epoxy.
    As feared the weave is still evident, especially on the toerails where it stands out like dogs b@lls. But thats me being fussy. truth is, its glued on sound, about a third of the rails will be hidden under a jib sheet track and the rest will have a plthora of fittings infront of them. I also think i will fix a 10mm strip of timber along the top edge of the toerail to set off the beautiful sheer - at some point in the near future.

Almost worth keeping the deck bright - just so i can varnish it a few times a year......

IMG_5352.jpg

After the deck is epoxied. You can see her new rub strip too which is giving the sheer some heft.

IMG_5355.jpg

Then I went round the hull and where seams had opened up i pushed in some Sikaflex. It was far less than i thought i needed to do. Mostly at the dead wood and around the ballast.

IMG_5354.jpg

IMG_5353.jpg

I'm not making her any prettier.........
    Last edited by gypsie; 12-02-2018 at 11:42 PM.
    Philip K. Dick — 'Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away'.

Painting!

This is a bit of a milestone, again. All construction/fabrication is done now. Everything is about finishing from now on.
    (Except my motor won't start, so another job i was putting off has been brought forward - remove the two small little inline fuel filters on the motor and install acouple of decent big ones. That's the trouble with 60 year old tanks - dirty.)

Here's my paint system - Norglass is the brand.

IMG_5351.jpg

Fropm left to right;
    2 pack Epoxy primer - 8 litres. For the entire outside of the boat except the brightwork.
    Non-slip polyurethane for the deck.
    Single pack poly urethane enamel for the topsides and cabin top.
    Single pack polyurethane - green - for the boot strip and the line along the sheer (does that have a name?). Changing from blue in honour of my Irish heritage.
    Marine varnish - not polyurethane. touching up poly varnish is not pretty.

Onwards, here's the primer going on.

IMG_5356.jpg

here she is at the end of the day. Hull primed with one coat and the cabin and deck fittings cut in. that took 4litres, half my primer.

IMG_5357.jpg
    Philip K. Dick — 'Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away'.

I thought i got some progress shots as i was applying the topsides top coat.
    But i didn't.

Got the topcoat on, roll and tipped.
    Then topcoated the cabin with the same poly.

After that had touch dried, in the very hot day! i masked off the cabin and toerail and put the first coat on the deck.

IMG_5360.jpg

Looking forward from the cockpit

IMG_5359.jpg

And aft. Hatch on sideways. I just landed it there as best i could before i left.
    You can see the hole for the solar vent just behind the cockpit, and the vent itself sitting in the cockpit.

IMG_5358.jpg

End of a 3 day weekend of work.

IMG_5361.jpg
    Last edited by gypsie; 12-02-2018 at 11:54 PM.

For contrast

IMG_5333.jpg IMG_5361.jpg

I'm sorry i didn't figure out that perch at the bow of my mates boat earlier on. Would have been a nice place to document the whole process.

"So i gave the topsides another blast of the RO compressor driven sander with a 40grit."

A better man than I am, you are. I am enjoying your progression, keep up the good work! / Jim

yup she is it worth the effort

She looks like a model there! Lovely!

Rick

Fantastic, love what a coat of paint can do. Are you happy with the Norglass? Ive used it on a bathroom bench at home-clear stuff, and I liked it. Be interested to know how the paint finishes up. On the two layers of ply, discussion above, I think that talk on this thread was all just about how to join sheets in a single layer deck. Not how to get an even spread of epoxy and full contact between two full sheets, over the whole deck. Which I think didnt work well on my boat 45 years ago.I dont know if 15mm is enough for my boat, at 50 feet. But she also has lots of deck beams. Ill have to measure the thickness of the present deck.

Sailing by Xmas Gypsy?

Quote Originally Posted by Geftb View Post
    Sailing by Xmas Gypsy?
    Crane booked in for the 20th.......

My motor won't start because of a couple of fiddly, bloody hard to get to, tiny little filters that get clogged up easily. Old tanks = crud. So I'm going to remove them and put in a pair of CAV filters after my water separator. That should get the motor going - couple of hours work.
    Bottom paint - aiming for 3 coats. probably 9 or 10 hours over 2 days.
    Boot stripe. a couple of hours.
    One more coat on the deck. an hour tops.
    Deck fittings (family working bee). 9 or 10 hours, while I'm doing the bottom.

Then under those pads for the bottom paint - sand/prime/paint. Need some acro props or something. There's heaps of stuff around the yard.

I think maybe 30 hours of work.
    I'll knock over most of it this weekend. Then one more weekend to manage the outstanding details.

Oh - and the bow roller - sand blast / prime /paint. Mate next to me has a blaster just by his boat - which is handy.

so yep - possibly even Sydney harbour for the fireworks on NYE, maybe.......

Boot Stripe.......

She had a navy blue stripe, about 100mm wide at about 100mm above the bottom paint. White stripe in between.

I'm thinking a green stripe about 100mm wide, but edge to edge with the bottom paint.
    Bottom paint is red.

Here's a little boat i built a few years ago and i like the green directly on the red.

2014-03-08 14.01.49.jpg

This new green is much darker - more like british racing green from an MG or old Jag.

(Hopefully I'll do a better job of my sikaflex gooping - now that i know how to use mineral turps to clean up properly........ )

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Are you happy with the Norglass?
    Time will tell mate, but right now I'm feeling pretty good about it.
    I used the 2 pack primer and the single poly on my little Nutshell tender. It seems solid. the colour selection is limited, but as long as you like white and strong colours you're laughing.

It went on well, especially the topsides paint. No fuss, easy to manage. It feels good.
    The primer recommended 10% thinners for roller brushing. I forgot to thin for the first half. Thinning made a big difference to application and how far the paint went. I just wasn't hitting the coverage the tin said i would until i thinned it.

My biggest discovery was some pouring lids i bought at Bunnings for $5 each.
    They saved so much waste. I hate pouring out of a tin, especially the two pack stuff which i HAD to do. They sealed around the inside lip too so the channel for the lid didn't fill up.

pour.JPG

Highly recommended.

Fantastic, love what a coat of paint can do.
    It may be a trick of the camera angle, but I swear her bow is held just a bit higher in that second contrast picture above.....

Hats off to you bro! Sounds like your on track and a great job to boot!!

Quote Originally Posted by Geftb View Post
    Hats off to you bro! Sounds like your on track and a great job to boot!!
    Thanks mate.
    There's a bit to do on water, but it'll be good to have it back in the wet.
    Future haul outs will give me the chance to tidy things up a bit more. Where the glass licks up onto the cabin sides needs more filling and fairing and things like that. Purely aesthetic.
    Cockpit locker drains are pretty bad at their job, will see about replacing them with bigger, deeper, drains sometime over the summer.
    Feeling good, but its not over yet...

Waterline and bootstripe.
    Masked out the waterline, not quite as waterline exact as i would like. The boat is not plumb in any direction, list a few degrees to starboard and nose down.

IMG_5369.jpg

I decided the waterline should be 100mm high.
    In retrospect this may be a bit big...........

I used a square to find a 100mm plumb drop and marked the top of the boot stripe.

IMG_5370.jpg

Masked it off.

IMG_5372.jpg

Then i painted inside the masking tape with topsides paint. Just along the edges of the tape so it will be this paint that 'bleeds' under the masking tape and not the bootstripe.

IMG_5373.jpg

Then painted it a dark green. Rollered on with mohair 100mm rollers, two coats.
    Looks black - but it isn't!

IMG_5377.jpg

Then some bottom paint.

IMG_5381.jpg

And some more

IMG_5382.jpg

And more until there was one coat all round, with a second immediately onto leading and trailing edges.

IMG_5383.jpg

And then 2 coats with a fourth going onto leading and trailing edges.

IMG_5384.jpg

Then i started to stick things back on.

Mast-step went on first into those M12 worm screws that have psw 1/4" thread tapped in. That caused me a pile of confusion in various shops and with various people until the penny dropped - they are home made.

IMG_5374.jpg

And the wash boxes.
    Then i did battle with my rudder stock.
    The rudder is at an angle to the deck, as is common. The hardwood spacer under the bronze fitting is 6mm at one side and 18mm at the other. It has a reciprocal underneath, and another bronze plate to sandwich the whole thing.

The M8 bolts i bought were too long and i had to hide about 10mm of non-threaded bit. So i made up a space from 15mm ply.
    The below deck spaces were cut in two so i could attach them each side of the rudder. The below deck bronze was put back in before the deck was laid.
    Lining up all those holes on angles and such proved too much, so i drilled the 8mm holes for the M8 bolts out to 10mm.

Sikalfex to the gills, wipe off with some turps, and bob's your fathers brother.

IMG_5376.jpg

Started into a few other deck bits. Permanently set in the solar vents and a big battle with the windlass.
    I'm anticipating familly working bee for deck fittings, which they keep putting off and one one weekend to go!

IMG_5389.jpg

Had a go at painting in the shadow line thats under the sheer edge. It used to be painted dark blue. I used the green form the bootstripe.
    I just couldn't get it painted right. My painting was lousy! Really crap. So the following day i got a proper art brush and had at it. Didn't make any difference.
    So i painted it back to white.

IMG_5394.jpg

Looking really great ....keep up the good work!
    PeterW

My mate next door gave my bow roller fitting a grit balst - and he primed it.
    His is a steel beast, so he's full up on steel treatments.

IMG_5391.jpg

IMG_5393.jpg

Didn't take a pic of the finished object. But it is now a lovely uniform grey/green primer.
    The blasting also revealed an unwanted 4 or 5mm hole top dead center at the front. Must have been plugged with sikaflex or something.
    The fitting suffered from having water ingress and the corrosion has made the plate thin at the sides. I'm hoping to goop it in with a tube or two of sikaflex all to itself, and prevent this from hapening in the future.
    The little hole is problematic for this. So I'll bog it up and then paint as per the topsides.

The priming should guarantee no water access to the steel.

take my word - it's looking good

Motor Trouble.

All through this weekend and last I've been trying to turn the motor over, but it just won't fire up.

A couple of guys with a fishing boat opposite me are mechanics (not diesel mechanics though), father and son team, and they've been helping me investigate.
    Starter is doing its thing. So its not that.

I was sure from the start that the motor was just not getting fuel so i drained a half a liter. It looked a bit yellow to me, where i was expecting more of an aqua green. I toured the fuel around to a few people at the yard for their opinion, and consensus, 100%, was that it was fine. No water, no dirt and the colour was fine.

The motor has these two very small annoying to get to filters inline. I removed them. No change.
    Tested to see if the fuel was being sucked from the water seperator by the little lift pump - yep.
    I bypassed the water separator (10 micron) and went straight to the electric lift pump. Maybe the separator was letting air in.....? No change.
    Cracked the line into the injector pump from the electric lift pump - fuel flowing. BUT! this is also the point where the return line to the tank joins, to the flow could be flowing back from that.
    Cracked the fuel return lines at the injectors, by way of bleeding - possible air in the system - fuel flowed. BUT again, this could be fuel flowing from the tank which is higher than the motor.
    Cracked the lines into the injectors and turned the motor over. Fuel is only just bubbling out. Not squirting as one would expect. hmmmmmmm

Thinkings;
    Lift pump is not delivering the pressure it needs - swap it out and see.
    Lift pump, without the filter element, is not sealing properly and possibly sucking in air -hence little pressure. But no dripping has been noted from it.......
    Worst case, injector pump is eff'd. Not likely and about US$3k to replace! (at which point going electric becomes a viable option )

I've ordered a facet pump. I'll swap out that little electric lift pump and see if it gets it going.

If not ------- Cancel the crane.
    Can't put her back in the water without a motor, to get out of the creek or to a mooring. And without a way of charging batteries needed to run bilge pumps until she takes up.

If motor doesn't start on Saturday, it'll be after the new year before i get her back in. Which will be very disappointing.

Also, used some Acro-props to lift the pads so i could get in under and finish the hull.

IMG_5397.jpg

One size fits all. This one was at a serious angle, so i dug a little pit for it to brace against.
    Worked fine.

Aft was more vertical.

IMG_5396.jpg

Ground it back. I used Peter G antifould remover on the rest of the hull, as well as a sanding/grinding. Only doing these patches do i realise how much that Peter G stuff took off.

Good luck with that engine! What a nuisance! Let's hope it's something simple!

Rick

Presumably the motor was going previously? So you wouldnt think the injector pump would have cacked itself in the last few weeks just sitting. I'd start by looking at anything in the system you've touched since it last ran. I'm not really clear on whether you did anything before you tried to start it on the hard. But air in the fuel system would seem to be the most likely culprit. Is it possible to remove an injector. Attach it to the fuel Li e and see if you get a good spray of diesel out of it?

Presumably the motor was going previously? So you wouldnt think the injector pump would have cacked itself in the last few weeks just sitting. I'd start by looking at anything in the system you've touched since it last ran. I'm not really clear on whether you did anything before you tried to start it on the hard. But air in the fuel system would seem to be the most likely culprit. Is it possible to remove an injector. Attach it to the fuel Li e and see if you get a good spray of diesel out of it?
    I had trouble starting it at the mooring, where it had sat unused for a few months waiting, to bring it to the jetty.
    I swapped out the separator filter and it fired up, but conked out just as i was getting to the jetty.

Since then; I pulled the lift pump off and removed the filter element from it, and the other little filter element, completely. As of now its straight through from the separator (and we bypassed the separator once).

The lift pump is in poor shape - i would not be surprised if it is sucking in air.
    I might also swap out the separator filter again, maybe i'm not getting a clean seal there.

I could pull an injector - but when i cracked the feed into the injector there's not enough pressure there. The fuel was bubbling out, not spraying - which is what says 'sucking air' to me.....
    I'll follow the whole system again on Saturday and see if anything is loose - and swap out the lift pump for a new unit.

After that you'll find me standing over the blasted thing with a sledge hammer......

Great job and good luck with the engine!
    fair winds, Dody

"They did not know it was impossible so they did it" - Mark Twain

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...h-Tonga/page12

Sounds like you are on a logical trouble shooting path. And sounds very much like air getting in. New lift pump will tell you something I guess. Tom had a lot of trouble with air getting into his system, Imgather it was finally fixed when he replaced much of the supply side, but I'm not sure exactly what he replaced, probably not the injector pump.

I'm hoping the simplicity, majesty and beauty of the diesel engine - with its indestructible, mechanically driven, parts, will stay true.

I have a love hate relationship with that motor.
    I do kind of like diesel, it seems. Except of course when i don't, then i kinda hate it.