Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chrysler Flathead 6, 1956 Manual

Default Chrysler Flathead 6, 1956 Manual

Hello All,
    I just purchased a Century Resorter 18', 1956 which looks to be in pretty good condition. I was planning on getting the engine rebuilt when a friend introduced me to Ivan here in Eagle River, Wi. whose family owned a marina which sold Century boats for many, many years. Anyway Ivan took a look at the boat and seeing that the engine hour meter only had around 600 hours on it he said to fire up the engine to see how it runs...of course before I do that he suggested that I clean the dual carbs, gas line, gas tank, check the raw water impeller, and other items....
    So would any of you know where I might find a engine manual for this Chrysler Marine Engine flathead 6 cylinder?
    IMG_3841.jpg
    Thanks Much,
    Mike

Default Re: Chrysler Flathead 6, 1956 Manual

I doubt a service manual will cover any of the above ,except the impeller.
    Last edited by navydog; 09-02-2018 at 09:17 AM.

google shows lots of manuals for chrysler sixes.

jim

Lots of variation in those engines, likely it is an Chrysler "Industrial" six. A little different than an automobile engine.
    (Some had mechanical gear pumps rather than impeller pumps)

Find the identification numbers stamped on the block and start there...

I did see a plate on the engine by the oil cooler with info on it... I'll pull the doghouse and take a good look today....
    Thanks much for the help, very appreciated.
    Mike

Can you post some pictures of the engine? I just happen to have a pair of 1957 M47 Crowns in my boat. ...... And may know someone with a full service manual.

The Crown was the 265 CID light truck engine in its last years.

Do you have any idea when it was last started?

I would definately agree with why are you thinking rebuilding before you even know what you have.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Uhm,...... the Crown is a 265 CID flat head six, the 225 is an overhead valve V8.

Quote Originally Posted by nedL View Post
    Uhm,...... the Crown is a 265 CID flat head six, the 225 is an overhead valve V8.
    Yep, says so right inside here: Here's a basic 225 manual: http://correctcraftfan.com/Downloads...225_Manual.pdf
    Steamboat

I get by with the judicious use of serendipity.

I took a look at the engine today and found a plate riveted just below the oil cooler but this may not be what you looking for...
    Engine Serial #. RF 20949 S
    I will take a picture tomorrow, BUT, it looks very, very much like nedL's picture of the two M47 Crowns....but without the closed system.... My engine says Chrysler Marine Engine down the entire length of the exhaust block...it also has twin carbs...
    I don't know when it was started last, but the engine is free and oil looks great...Oh, if the hour meter is correct she has 600 hours of operation...
    It also appears that it's a 6 volt system yet... Noticed a plate that said Chrysler Corporation...6 volt shunt, External Voltage Regulator and Current Control...made by Auto Lite serial number 1616642, also the starter noted the same 6 volt something on it's plate...
    Thanks all for joining in...
    Mike

The 225 Manual is a V-8.......My engine is a Straight 6 Cylinder and it is a FlatHead like nedL's....That's the manual I'm hoping to find...
    Thanks,
    Mike
    Last edited by erstadmr0355; 09-02-2018 at 04:33 PM.

Crysler ‘historically’ made three flat head engines. The “Ace”, 6 cyl, 95 hp, The Crown, 6 cyl, 265 CID, started at about 125 hp and went up depending on the carbs etc. Then the “Royal”, which was an eight cylinder.

If you think it may have been a good number of years since the engine was started (5+) I wouldn’t put any trust in what the oil looks like. Over time all the dirt and stuff will settle out of it. You can go up to a filthy of engine that was ‘worked hard and put away wet’ that has sat for years (decades) and the dipstick will look really clean.

I wouldn’t bother doing anything with the oil until after the engine is running.

If the engine is free and you want to try starting it I would suggest a compression check. You can completely ignor the numbers you get, I suggest doing this only to see if there is ‘something’ in the way of compression. That will tell you the valves are doing there thing (sticky valves are not unusual on a flathead.
    I would suggest a good 3-4 squirts of a 30 weight oil into each cylinder.

Thanks nedL,
    Funny you say 30 weight because on the transmission it says to use 30 weight....another thing I didn't know was that the engine oil and transmission oil flow between the two.... do you know where one picks up an oil filter??
    Thanks,
    Mike

Oil filters are as close as NAPA (or similar). When I see your engine I should be able to tell if the filter is the same as mine, then I can give you the number (the info is on my boat right now anyway).

Here are a couple of other pictures for you to compare.

Right there should be the stamped engine number...

IMG_4238.JPG

nedL,
    The picture of the complete engine looks almost identical to mine...Starter, oil filter, coil with the distributer below it, oil fill cap, oil cooler are all in the same place and look identical, and also the same on top of the head with the copper pipe going to that device that splits the warm water with one going to the exhaust and out of the boat and the other which joins the water intake on a thru hull (I thinks it helps to warm up the engine sooner ???)
    I'll get some pictures Monday....
    Thanks Much,
    Mike

Canoeyawl,
    Thanks for the location of the engine number....I'll be sure to get that as well....
    Thanks again...
    Mike

Mike, as you said the Crown information an ID tag would be here. My engines tags disappeared decades ago.

nedL,
    That's where the tag is alright, it's just darn hard to read it under the oil cooler.... I'll bring my camera along and try to get it that way instead of standing on my head...
    Mike

I’m not sure it will be all that important to get the information off the tag anyway. You know it’s a Crown (the exact variant will be pretty easy to ID based on the two carbs, and you know the year. That’s what is important.

water pump impellers aereadilly available.

Those are good reliable engines that were designed to run at continuous duty forever...
    At 600 hours it is barely broken in!

chrysler book.jpg

Believe this is the book your looking for?

Wow,
    Thanks to everybody for your input....
    Screen Shot 2018-09-03 at 6.56.46 PM.jpg The engine is a M47, so yes it's a Crown....
    Here are some other pictures ....
    IMG_3875.jpg IMG_3881.jpg

RHAKCT,
    That looks like the book.... some of the hoses where disconnected and I'm not sure if I've reconnected them correctly....here's a couple of pictures...
    Attachment 22218Attachment 22219
    Looks like the oil filter is a NAPA 1062...
    Attachment 22220
    Thanks,
    Mike

you know, if we could determine what a reasonable value for that book is, I could probably be talked into parting with it - for some reason your last attachments didn't open for me?

forgot to say, that book is 187 pages

Yep, A nice M47 Crown.
    You will need to replace the missing flame arrestor “grills” that are missing off the horns on the carbs.

nedL,
    I have both of those along with the framing that holds the flame arrestors in....
    Not sure if I have some of the water hoses connected right....they were just hanging there when I purchased the boat...
    Thanks,
    Mike
    Oh, the fuel pump was off as well...not sure if it's good or bad....a little stiff...

That manual is a complete manual. It walks you through a complete teardown and rebuild. It is different than a manual today in that it assumes mechanical and engine principle knowledge. It tells you what you need to know but doesn't necessarily walk you through everything step by step. it is an excellent resource though.

it looks like you have the hoses correct. That short curved one does go from the bypass to the exhaust, and the long one goes from the other side of the bypass back down to the intake for the water pump.

The whole path is water pump to oil cooler, oil cooler to top aft end of the manifold. Front of manifold to the front of the block, out the head and split to either the exhaust elbow or back to the intake hose between the thu-hull and the water pump.

anybody have an idea as to that manuals worth?

Hi Mike,

I'm late to the conversation, but you appear to have a Chrysler Crown M-47S ("Crown Special"), which is the dual carb version that was rated at 135 HP. I have the same engine in a 1958 16' Resorter, which has become the focus of an ongoing rebuild vs. replace discussion in another thread here:

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...put-on-engines

Spoiler alert: the crowd on the Wooden Boat Forum strongly favors rebuilding the stinky old beast! They are making some compelling arguments.

You can get a manual for what appears to be an earlier version of the engine here:
    http://www.classicboating.com/parts/books-and-manuals

The manual I have looks like the first one RHAKCT posted a photo of. It references the M-47S-3 and M-47S-4, and so far has been an accurate guide to my 1958 engine. Copies occasionally surface on ebay. I'm not sure what differences there might be between the M-47S and M-47S-3 or how to even tell the difference between them.

The best source of information might be Dave Van Ness http://www.vannessengineering.com/. He rebuilds these engines all day long and supplies parts for them. I bet he has a manual for sale and could help you identify exactly what you have. He coached me over the phone on adjusting the mixture until my engine finally started and ran.

I hope this helps. Did you get it running?

Jeff

Hi Jeff,
    Thanks for responding..... because of you I now know that I have a M47S (special) which as you mentioned is the dual carb mode. As far as rebuilding, one fella on this website said start it and see what you get...another man I just met last week who lives here in Eagle River, Wisconsin, said he owned the largest Century dealership I think in the country which was located in Fox Lake, IL. and his name is Vern Kramer....(no longer in the boat business), and he said to me if the hour meter is still working, which shows only 600 hours, he also said fire it up....So, so far I've installed a rebuilt kit in the fuel pump, purchased 6 spark plugs and talked to the fellas at O'Reilly's Auto Parts...They said pull one spark plug at a time and use my compression tester hose and my air compressor at 90 lbs and see if I loose pressure over a 30 minute time....if not the rings might be fine....If I do loose pressure I can add something to try and loosen the rings up...I also just purchase a 6 volt battery....perhaps tomorrow I'll jump back in the boat....
    MikeIMG_3841.jpg

​just curious, how long has it been since the engine was last run?

I believe the compression specs from the manual were at least 125 PSI (when cranking the engine at 200 RPM I think) and not more than 10 PSI difference between any two cylinders. That's the spec. My compression ranges from about 110 PSI at the flywheel (toward the bow) down to about 73 PSI at the stern end. It doesn't run well, and is being considered for a rebuild, but it starts, and it runs. It would push the boat at 34 MPH, even that far off spec. Of course it leaks oil out the tailpipe because the rings are shot, but that's why I spent the summer sailing instead.

Why not put in new spark plugs and see if it'll start? My understanding is that these engines are essentially indestructible as long as they have oil in them.

Also, the oil filter mine takes is a Fram ch 192pl or a Wix 51062 full flow filter cartridge.
    http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/Exa...PartNo=ch192pl

Jeff