Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: US and Australia cut palestinian funding

Default Re: US and Australia cut palestinian funding

If we're lucky, and I don't think we are, the PA will divest itself of the terrorists, disallow any further payments to the terrorists or the terrorists families and the UNWRA will segregate non combatants from combatants, those who aid combatants, and descendants of combatants and remove them from the list of refugees eligible for aid.
    So in a state that is hugely dependent on "welfare", you'd disenfranchise children who had the misfortune to have a "terrorist" relative, of economic support?

Bait and switch, BS. BOTH sides have stepped well over the line of what is acceptable. The Israeli/Palestinian kill ratio is a pretty bottom line statistic on this, if one is looking critically at the Israeli response.
    "
    Between January 1 and November 6, 2017, Israeli security forces killed 62 Palestinians, including 14 children, and injured at least 3,494 Palestinians in the West Bank, Gaza and Israel, including protesters, suspected assailants or members of armed groups, and bystanders. Palestinians killed at least 15 Israelis during this same time, including 10 security officers, and injured 129 in conflict-related incidents in the West Bank and Israel."

The problem I have with "Israel is simply defending itself", is often the timeliness, proportionality, and indiscriminate nature of the "defence". See kill ratio, above. Lots of whom are non combatants.
    Is incarcerating stone throwing teenagers (don't you find that just the tiniest bit cringeworthy?) defending yourself in a meaningful military sense?
    Firing artillery and rockets into civilian areas and infrastructure, long after the bad guys have gone? That is retribution, not defence, unless someone bites the bullet, and declares war.
    Israel badly needs some better PR.

My fourth point, which you have entirely missed, is not about dying in equal numbers, or "winning". It is about using a well equipped military to persecute an entire population, in pursuit of retribution against what is probably a small number of actual bonafide terrorists.

To the question. Yes, I agree that sorting combatants from non combatants would improve the lot of Joe Pali who just wants to on with life. But what do you do with the combatants? Who gets to decide? And how - what level of evidential proof/involvement makes for a combatant?
    I truly don't think Israel, or anybody else, including the Palestinians, is actually capable of making that happen. The hawks on both sides will doom it to failure.

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    So the US and Australia should continue supporting the UN as it openly supports the palestinian war effort ?
    Well the US and Australia seem to be supporting the ethnic cleansing going on in the West Bank and Jerusalem.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Well the US and Australia seem to be supporting the ethnic cleansing going on in the West Bank and Jerusalem.
    I'll bet that post bought a smile to Boston's face.
    And no I am not being ironic.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by epoxyboy View Post

So in a state that is hugely dependent on "welfare", you'd disenfranchise children who had the misfortune to have a "terrorist" relative, of economic support?

Bait and switch, BS. BOTH sides have stepped well over the line of what is acceptable. The Israeli/Palestinian kill ratio is a pretty bottom line statistic on this, if one is looking critically at the Israeli response.
    "
    Between January 1 and November 6, 2017, Israeli security forces killed 62 Palestinians, including 14 children, and injured at least 3,494 Palestinians in the West Bank, Gaza and Israel, including protesters, suspected assailants or members of armed groups, and bystanders. Palestinians killed at least 15 Israelis during this same time, including 10 security officers, and injured 129 in conflict-related incidents in the West Bank and Israel."

The problem I have with "Israel is simply defending itself", is often the timeliness, proportionality, and indiscriminate nature of the "defence". See kill ratio, above. Lots of whom are non combatants.
    Is incarcerating stone throwing teenagers (don't you find that just the tiniest bit cringeworthy?) defending yourself in a meaningful military sense?
    Firing artillery and rockets into civilian areas and infrastructure, long after the bad guys have gone? That is retribution, not defence, unless someone bites the bullet, and declares war.

My fourth point, which you have entirely missed, is not about dying in equal numbers, or "winning". It is about using a well equipped military to persecute an entire population, in pursuit of retribution against what is probably a small number of actual bonafide terrorists.

To the question. Yes, I agree that sorting combatants from non combatants would improve the lot of Joe Pali who just wants to on with life. But what do you do with the combatants? Who gets to decide? And how - what level of evidential proof/involvement makes for a combatant?
    I truly don't think Israel, or anybody else, including the Palestinians, is actually capable of making that happen. The hawks on both sides will doom it to failure.

Pete
    Do you think you could repost this without the ad hominem attacks?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

.....but the facts are that the Judaic people are the native people and the UNWRA is illegally supporting terrorists.
    This is why there can never be peace in Israel and Palestine. As long as millions of Arabs are treated as subhuman usurpers, there can be no peace.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Quote Originally Posted by epoxyboy View Post

"

Pete
    It's not a state, it's Gaza, it could be a state except the people that live there are more interested in killing Israeli's Which is why things are the way they are. Gaza is going to have to take responsibility for it's own condition. I don't think you can blame Israel for defending itself.

Both the Geneva conventions and the UN charter outline segregating combatants from noncombatants in refugee situations. They also both recommend keeping children with parents. Neither make any mention of aid being a right based on parentage. So repatriating combatants in this case would end up inevitably including family groups. Once repatriated it'll be time for them to blend themselves back into society and become productive citizens again. Problem solved, just like in every other conflict.

Yes, bait and switch, the object of war is not to die in equal numbers, if the opposition wants to hide behind woman and children then woman and children are likely to get hurt. Again you can't blame the Israeli's for winning.

Stone slings are an ancient and effective weapon that can and have killed, but I do agree jail isn't the answer, immediate deportation would be more effective both in cost and in revisitation rates. Incarcerating combatants has proven a dismal failure. Throw the bums out.

Israel has a very odd policy of lobbing a few shells into a field somewhere and calling it a response. I'm not sure what's behind that policy but it's a complete failure and someone needs to wake up and try something different.

On your fourth point, you use the term "persecution" when the term "engage" would be more accurate. The Israeli's are using the concept of overwhelming force just like the US police system does. ( not that I agree with it, but it's a well established principal of engagement ) The equipment amplifies each mans effectiveness until regardless of being outnumbered the lethal force is so overwhelming any rational combatant would run for his life and live to fight another day. Brings us back to repatriation.

Again your last is a good question. That answer has been spelled out in the Geneva conventions. The host nation has certain responsibilities and they're not in perpetuity. They may regardless of the cooperation of belligerents repatriate combatants to the nearest embarkation point and be done with their end of the responsibilities. IE they could literally water slide them back over the nearest border and wash their hands of the whole thing.

What I'm really advocating for is quick decisive action which puts an end to the whole nightmare. It's all spelled out in the Geneva conventions. Use the legal precedent and get it over with. Segregate the combatants from the noncombatants, keep families together, pack the belligerents up and throw the bums out. Let the Arab world freak, they're ultimately responsible for this anyway. I'd also advocate contrast. Those remaining that are proven noncombatants should be lavished with every conceivable attempt to improve their condition.

Had Israel followed the conventions decades ago none of this would be happening today. Yes there's blame to go around, so be done with it and repatriate the combatants hiding within the refugee population.
    Last edited by Boston; 09-02-2018 at 09:16 AM.

WX
    nonsense

Peerie
    ad hominem

Paul
    Actually I think Epoxy is being very polite

Norm
    Always blaming the Israeli's for fighting back.

Little ole me
    So what's wrong with Israel simply following the Geneva conventions ? They clearly spell out a solution for this mess.

I was being facetious. This thread is ridiculous.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Here is a list of the Palestinian rockets fired into residential communities in Israel this year so far. (They target houses.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...n_Israel,_2018

This is a list from 2000 to 2015. It totals nearly 20,000.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palest...acks_on_Israel

When a Palestinian group seeks funding from an Emirate, they are required to be seen to "continue the glorious fight against the Zionist oppressor". Hence the rockets. If they don't, then they don't get more funding.

The idea of alternate funding, from the West is to allow them a more peaceful option. But is there any evidence that funding from Western countries has ameliorated or reduced the rocket-firings?

I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    I was being facetious. This thread is ridiculous.
    Why, it looks like at least some countries are trying to address the rampant corruption within the UNWRA. I'd think you'd welcome that ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hadfield View Post
    Here is a list of the Palestinian rockets fired into residential communities in Israel this year so far. (They target houses.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...n_Israel,_2018

This is a list from 2000 to 2015. It totals nearly 20,000.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palest...acks_on_Israel

When a Palestinian group seeks funding from an Emirate, they are required to be seen to "continue the glorious fight against the Zionist oppressor". Hence the rockets. If they don't, then they don't get more funding.

The idea of alternate funding, from the West is to allow them a more peaceful option. But is there any evidence that funding from Western countries has ameliorated or reduced the rocket-firings?

I doubt it.
    The only time that the attacks will stop is when Israel decides to seek peace. That will not happen all of the while they are trying to ethnically cleans the occupied West Bank and Jerusalem. It is Israel's call and in their gift.

WX
    nonsense

Peerie
    ad hominem

Paul
    Actually I think Epoxy is being very polite

Norm
    Always blaming the Israeli's for fighting back.

Little ole me
    So what's wrong with Israel simply following the Geneva conventions ? They clearly spell out a solution for this mess.
    Try educating yourself.

'One Palestine, Complete', by Tom Segev (an Israeli writer for Ha'aretz) if you want to know the actual history of Palestine from the dawn of Zionism, to the 1948 partition

'Goliath: Life and Loathing in Modern Israel', by Max Blumenthal, if you want to know what really goes on with respect to how Israel treats the indigenous Arabs, both citizen, and refugee

"
    I Shall Not Hate: A Gaza Doctor's Journey on the Road to Peace and Human Dignity" by Izzeldin Abuelaish, if you want to void yourself of your ignorance and knee jerk reactions.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Peerie

LMAO the pali's have made it clear they'll stop when the Israeli's are dead and not before. Your suggestion that the Israeli's hurry up and cooperate is ridiculous.

Norm

Minds are like parachutes ;-)

You might want to learn a little about tribal rights and the history of nations. Reading up on the self loathing isn't much of an education. The fact is the pali's are seriously poor losers and saw a good thing in the UNWRA aid program. Start a war, lose a war, pay the price. Now they trade aid like we trade stocks. Free money and supplies is a pretty good racket wouldn't you say ?

Might be time to throw the bums out and tell them to get a job.

Cheers

You might want to learn a little about tribal rights and the history of nations.
    'Tribal rights'?

OMFG.....

Have you read any of those books? Obviously not. And Blumenthal's book is NOT aboyut 'self loathing'.

I think Boston is rather lacking in human compassion, to put it mildly.
    Go to Gaza, see what Palestinians are really like, and then come back, and I might take notice of what you say.

Quote Originally Posted by birlinn View Post
    I think Boston is rather lacking in human compassion, to put it mildly.
    I don't agree. His problem is profound ignorance. He clearly knows NOTHING about the 75 year struggle for Zionism, and how it manifested itself in Palestine before 1948. He also is clearly, and completely ignorant of how Israel treats both the Palestinians living in the West Bank and Gaza, as well as it's own Arab-Israeli citizens.

There are fair points and reasonable argumernts to be made, on both sides of the issue.... but not by ignorant people.

His 'tribal rights' amused me.
    Tell that to a West Bank Arab who has been kicked off the land his ancestors owned for many centuries.
    And 'get a job'- the Israeli blockade of Gaza even includes a ban on cement imports--'might be used for making tunnels'
    It also might be used for rebuilding the many hundreds of family houses demolished by the Israelis.

Boston's argument is that since the Jews were supposedly the "first" ones to live in Palestine that they are entitled to all the land in the region, and the Palestineans should be dispossed of the land they have lived on for many generations.

i wonder if Boston owns land in America, and if he does, if he is planning on giving it back to the "first inhabitants" the American Indians?

Also, I wonder how Boston would feel if someone in his neighborhood committed a terrorist act, and the state then bulldozed his entire community as retribution, moved him to a crowded ghetto, and built a settlement over the land that his family owned for generations?

this is something called "Collective Punishment" and is outlawed by the Geneva conventions. Israel does this all the time, btw.

LOL so not a single coherent argument and a whole lot of "what does he know" brilliant.

There were lots of countries created at the break up of the Ottoman empire and many of them were based on tribal identities. Israel is no different except they were forced to create themselves. But it's the only one you folks seem to have a problem with. Oddly enough it's also the only Jewish state in existence. 22 Arab nations and 1 judaic, and you folks want people to believe there is some inordinately favorable delegation of land to the Jews in the middle east. Ridiculous.

The Arabs have proven they will never accept anything but the total annihilation of Israel, the Israeli's need to face the position they are in and follow the measures outlined within the Geneva conventions concerning the repatriation of enemy combatants. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    I don't agree. His problem is profound ignorance. He clearly knows NOTHING about the 75 year struggle for Zionism, and how it manifested itself in Palestine before 1948. He also is clearly, and completely ignorant of how Israel treats both the Palestinians living in the West Bank and Gaza, as well as it's own Arab-Israeli citizens.

There are fair points and reasonable argumernts to be made, on both sides of the issue.... but not by ignorant people.
    All true, but he's not ignorant of the principles on which America was founded -- he rejects them.
    He's a Mexican. -- Donald Trump.
    America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama. -- Governor Chris Christie (R) New Jersey
    It wasn't racism, it was an attack on Christianity. -- Fox News
    Crying white mothers are ratings gold. -- National Rifle Association

Oddly enough it's also the only Jewish state in existence.
    There's no such thing.
    He's a Mexican. -- Donald Trump.
    America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama. -- Governor Chris Christie (R) New Jersey
    It wasn't racism, it was an attack on Christianity. -- Fox News
    Crying white mothers are ratings gold. -- National Rifle Association

So the state of Israel is a myth and I'm just an ignorant boob, got it LMAO

This is downright funny, the Geneva conventions outline what is permissible in these circumstances and you guys act like it's the end of the world. Pack up the hostiles and throw them out. Problem solved. Water slide them into Gaza or over whatever the nearest border wall is for all I care but the Geneva conventions allows for repatriation and that's exactly what Israel aught to do. The Israeli's want their little piece of the pie and the Arabs want the Israeli's dead, not much room for negotiation. So apply the solutions already laid out by the world community and be done with it.

You want the fighting to end, so end it, support the application of the Geneva conventions.
    Last edited by Boston; 09-02-2018 at 01:39 PM.

Some Hamas hardliners may want Israel off the map, but they form a very small part of the Palestinians as a whole. Most Palestinians just want to get on with their lives in peace.
    However you are just as bad, Boston, wanting the Palestinians off the map.
    And while we are on about repatriation, how about all the Jewish Israelis that were immigrants from elsewhere? They have logically less rights than the Palestinians.

Countless polls would suggest otherwise

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed...112-story.html

And I'm not suggesting the pali's disapear, I'm suggesting the hostiles be repatriated exactly as specified in the Geneva conventions. A procedure outlined by the world body as acceptable under these conditions.

You might want to look up the definition of immigrant vs returnee as well as consider that it was the Arabs that attacked the Jews who were peacefully buying up land in Judea when they were attacked by the surrounding Arab states. The fact that they won and that it was a defensive war pretty much negates any claim the aggressors might have had.

We can go round and round on what vernacular to use concerning events of the past, each trying to put our spin on history, but the reality today is we have combatants mixed with noncombatants and since UNWRA refuses to deal with it, the Geneva convention outlines what can be done unilaterally by Israel as the controlling power.

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post

I do not think he wants to know. I think that this is his minset and what drives his bigotry.
    “It looks back to the idea that God has made certain commitments to his people — to the people through whom the gospel originally came — and he’s not abandoning them, ultimately. And so there’s a hope that drives this belief that Israel deserves to be supported,” he said.
    These beliefs are both deeply held, and widespread. Depending on how you define it, about one in four Americans are evangelicals. Richard Land is president of the Southern Evangelical Seminary near Charlotte, North Carolina. Like many of his faith, he was raised in a tradition that believed that the Jews are God’s chosen people, and that “God gave the land of Israel to the Jews, forever. And that God blesses those who bless the Jews, and God curses those who curse the Jews. And if we want God to bless us and God wants us to bless America, we’ve got to bless the Jews.”
    https://www.pri.org/stories/2016-10-...support-israel

LMAO so following the guidelines of the Geneva convention is bigotry, love it. LMAO

What else can you tell me about my beliefs in religion Peerie ??????

Boston- just where are you going to 'repatriate' the hostiles to?

Quote Originally Posted by birlinn View Post
    Boston- just where are you going to 'repatriate' the hostiles to?
    He seems to think they belong in Jordan. Israel’s aim is a pure white Jewish state.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Brin, the Geneva conventions do not require an agreement between belligerents in order for the controlling power to repatriate combatants. Israel could under established protocols determin who's an eligible refugee and who's a combatant, pack them up to the nearest embarkation point and shove them over the line.

It wouldn't be pretty but it'd be legal and it would give the rest a chance to work on living together peacefully. Nothing positive is possible until you segregate the combatants from the noncombatants in the so called refugee population. Israel is obviously willing to give members of its Arab population full citizenship, but you can't expect it to give that same citizenship to enemy combatants.

Looks like the facts prevail over the hyperbole one again.

I see lots of "your a bad bad person" but not much factual content from the pro terrorist team. Given that there's no chance of middle ground between the two parties and the continuing state of war, the geneva conventions are the obvious governing articles.

I pointed out that Israel does not follow the Geneva conventions. Boston did not address this fact, so I can only assume that they know there is no excuse for such behavior.

If Israel really wanted to stop the terrorism they could do it by simply treating the Palestinians better. I don't believe that Israel wants the conflict to stop, since it is the conflict that allows them the excuse to steal more land.

Should Israelis who are convicted of terrorism against the Palestinians also be expelled from the country?

For example, when the bulldozer drove over 16 year old Rachel Corrie and crushed her under the tractor treads, should the Israeli driver have been expelled from the country?

[QUOTE=Ralphie Boy;5664133]Also, I wonder how Boston would feel if someone in his neighborhood committed a terrorist act, and the state then bulldozed his entire community as retribution, moved him to a crowded ghetto, and built a settlement over the land that his family owned for generations?

;-)
    Last edited by Boston; 09-03-2018 at 02:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralphie Boy View Post
    Should Israelis who are convicted of terrorism against the Palestinians also be expelled from the country?

For example, when the bulldozer drove over 16 year old Rachel Corrie and crushed her under the tractor treads, should the Israeli driver have been expelled from the country?
    I didn't address it because all you did was accused Israel of not following the Geneva conventions by virtue of a few wild and unsubstantiated accusations.

The driver of the bull dozer was NOT convicted, since he'd waited over three hours for the protesters to get out of the way before moving his vehicle, and that pesky little fact that she threw herself under the tracks where he couldn't possibly have seen her.

At least try and get the facts straight.

So between the ludicrous suggestion that all the Israeli's need to do is be nicer and now your wildly misrepresenting the R Corrie incident is why I didn't bother responding.
    Last edited by Boston; 09-03-2018 at 01:57 AM.