Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: instant electric water heater

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    ibeeria
    Posts
    3,223

    Default instant electric water heater

    I have just bought 220 v 6.6 KW shower water heater. space is tight and I assumed it could be mounted inside the shower cabin, as apart from anything else the temp control is on the unit and it only has a cold inlet hot outlet, so doesn't need, or maybe even shouldn't be plumbed into a mixer tap set-up . I have been told it can't be mounted in the shower cabin, must be outside. There's no info on the installation instructions.
    If it's out side how do you adjust the temperature, and the instructions suggest its not a good idea to mount it with a mixer tap as the incoming cold will cool the hot, wasting energy of course. and perhaps overpower the hot flow outlet causing the thing to turn off.
    It is only turned on by the turning on of the hot tap.
    it has a class 1, IP 25 rating.
    It will be installed according to all the required cable diameters, circuit breaker requirements earth grounding and so on .

    ??? Can it be mounted inside the shower cabin ??? seems a bit daft to get out of the shower to adjust the temp…..but even more daft to get electrocuted
    'C'est la vie' say the old folks it goes to show you never can tell

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,279

    Default Re: instant electric water heater

    The suicide showers I saw in Costa Rica were inside. I wasn't brave enough to use.

    My thought is you set the hot side temp at a steady level that allows you to vary the cold to your comfort range. I think that is how the on demand gas units work best. Instead of turning on and off.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    ibeeria
    Posts
    3,223

    Default Re: instant electric water heater

    Just tried a different tack on searching the IP rating (Wiki was confused to say the least) and found ' IP 25...Ingress protection codes…...protected from low pressure spray from any direction. I'm guessing safe to have in the shower. I know I have seen in-shower ones before...
    'C'est la vie' say the old folks it goes to show you never can tell

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,181

    Default Re: instant electric water heater

    Locate it so it will only see splash, not a direct jet from the shower head. I know they have them inside the shower booths in Britain.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    PNW, an island west of Seattle
    Posts
    1,769

    Default Re: instant electric water heater

    I've use a few showers fitted with on demand hot water. All were set outside the shower. You just have to diddle with the adjusting knob to get it dialed in. Use a thermometer. Once you know where to set the dial, you're home free. I would not use a mixing valve.

    Jeff

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Bournemouth UK
    Posts
    1,233

    Default Re: instant electric water heater

    For a particular brand of electric shower but a good general guide to installation.
    http://www.tritonshowers.co.uk/media...1532358963.pdf

    Nick

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    ibeeria
    Posts
    3,223

    Default Re: instant electric water heater

    Thanks NickW for that... much more comprehensive, and although twenty four hours after the initial post and finding out basically all that, but from any number of sites, your link, tho' manufacturer specific, is all there on one page. or several…good stuff,

    I recommend that page to anyone who has been interested by my first query, just wish Nick you had whacked that in this time last night!
    keep on coming with opinions and experiences if you all wish, but otherwise consider this thread closed, but I will leave it open anyway
    Thanks all
    'C'est la vie' say the old folks it goes to show you never can tell

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Livin' in the Golden Triangle
    Posts
    56,557

    Default Re: instant electric water heater

    Quote Originally Posted by jonboy View Post
    Just tried a different tack on searching the IP rating (Wiki was confused to say the least) and found ' IP 25...Ingress protection codes…...protected from low pressure spray from any direction. I'm guessing safe to have in the shower. I know I have seen in-shower ones before...
    We have them in all the bathrooms in my pub (sorry... I do like the ring of those words, my pub).... and they are extremely common throughout Asia. Always within the shower area. Generally, I set the control unit to maximum and regulate the temperature with the flow of water.

    IMG20180826104018.jpg
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    East Quogue,NY
    Posts
    16,072

    Default Re: instant electric water heater

    Shower in the pub? Ummmm.....why?

    Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Livin' in the Golden Triangle
    Posts
    56,557

    Default Re: instant electric water heater

    Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    Shower in the pub? Ummmm.....why?

    Kevin
    Because we rent rooms. Not "short stay" rooms, mind you... The other thing we don't do is sell tobacco. Or, have "bar girls". Hmmm.... starting to sound boring, isn't it?

    What doesn't show in that photo is that most of the bathrooms also have the traditional bit tub of cold water and a dousing bucket.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Walney, near Cumbria UK
    Posts
    41,443

    Default Re: instant electric water heater

    Quote Originally Posted by robm View Post
    Locate it so it will only see splash, not a direct jet from the shower head. I know they have them inside the shower booths in Britain.
    Ours is inside the shower cubicle, but a different design as it is only connected to a cold supply.
    Ours is not a Triton, but very similar in every way.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

    The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    East Quogue,NY
    Posts
    16,072

    Default Re: instant electric water heater

    Because we rent rooms.
    So, your sort of a pub-plus: an Inn, eh?!

    Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Livin' in the Golden Triangle
    Posts
    56,557

    Default Re: instant electric water heater

    Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    So, your sort of a pub-plus: an Inn, eh?!

    Kevin
    Indeed. The wiring could use some attention though....

    IMG20180825095023.jpg

    We got approval to trade and rent rooms yesterday... but the licence for selling booze is still a week or two away, so we're a dry pub until then.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    East Quogue,NY
    Posts
    16,072

    Default Re: instant electric water heater



    Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lindstrom, MN
    Posts
    2,240

    Default Re: instant electric water heater

    You have a gasthoff!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    We have them in all the bathrooms in my pub (sorry... I do like the ring of those words, my pub).... and they are extremely common throughout Asia. Always within the shower area. Generally, I set the control unit to maximum and regulate the temperature with the flow of water.

    IMG20180826104018.jpg
    The spray hose on the lower left... Is that the bidet?

    Costa Rican suicide showers? That is a thing? lessee google google google.... Oy! The electrical inspectors in the States would have a stroke.
    https://www.costaricahomebuilder.com/shocking
    It sounds like something that might need a little confirmation, but at least it is an entertaining take on the things. The third wire shouldn't do anything at all until something goes wrong with the device.
    The reason that these dangerous devices exist, is that many homes in Costa Rica never had three wire, grounded electrical circuits installed, or a second plumbing tube in the wall to provide hot water to the bathrooms, kitchens, and laundry water outlets. Therefore, to make bathing more comfortable, some brilliant engineer invented the suicide shower, that heats water with only one water tube and without a grounded electrical circuit.

    If you are bathing and accidentally touch a suicide shower, you will be shocked if the device is not grounded. Without a grounded electrical circuit connected to the suicide shower, the electricity will continue to pass through the water and your wet body, and in all likelihood you would be shocked.
    Management is the art of counting beans. Leadership is the art of making every being count. --Joe Finch

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    ibeeria
    Posts
    3,223

    Default Re: instant electric water heater

    OK, here is more general query about electrickery for the sparks out there.

    The system here in the domestic 220v set-up is a multiple 'fuse box' with 10 , 16 and 30 amp MCBs. A spur system, not a ring main as in UK., that is , out from the consumer unit to whatever circuit, lighting, maybe two or three wall outlets and back. I have added a 30 amp bi-pole rccb for the shower which shares with only one double outlet outside the shower room.
    All basic stuff.

    All appliances have a round plug with two round pins with the earth connection on two contacts at the side. Symetrical, so the plug can be inserted either way in a 180º orientation. so therefore its unimportant which wire is live or neutral.
    I grew up with the UK system of assymetrical plugs with different sized square pins often internally cartridge fused that are always wired identically and can only be inserted one way.

    Standing in the normal, non -electric shower which has no power points within a few metres, but whose plumbing is cross bonded to earth, I felt a slight but noticeable tingle, and on another occasion when I was extending one of the spurs, the testing electrical screwdriver lit up brightly on the live wire, and still very faintly on the neutral.
    I went round taking out one by one every plug until it didn't happen, then put that plug back in the other way round. A few more times until theoretically every appliance was oriented to the mains supply the same way.
    Also on some non professional advice I let the hose run on the ground where the 2 metre 40mm solid copper earth stake is driven near the main supply to the property, as it hadn't rained for months.

    So whats the point in having a live and neutral colour coding on wires if they can be swapped over so easily, or is Portugal the only place where the appliance plugs are like this or Europe generally….
    Last edited by jonboy; 09-02-2018 at 02:30 AM.
    'C'est la vie' say the old folks it goes to show you never can tell

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Livin' in the Golden Triangle
    Posts
    56,557

    Default Re: instant electric water heater

    Quote Originally Posted by MN Dave View Post
    You have a gasthoff!

    The spray hose on the lower left... Is that the bidet?

    Costa Rican suicide showers? That is a thing? lessee google google google.... Oy! The electrical inspectors in the States would have a stroke.
    https://www.costaricahomebuilder.com/shocking
    It sounds like something that might need a little confirmation, but at least it is an entertaining take on the things. The third wire shouldn't do anything at all until something goes wrong with the device.
    That is indeed the spray bidet. Known as the bum nut. Fabulous things.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,279

    Default Re: instant electric water heater


  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    ibeeria
    Posts
    3,223

    Default Re: instant electric water heater

    Who needs a ground when you have your own lightning conductor.
    and I was worrying about whether the circuit breaker was 30 amps or 32.
    'C'est la vie' say the old folks it goes to show you never can tell

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lindstrom, MN
    Posts
    2,240

    Default Re: instant electric water heater

    Quote Originally Posted by jonboy View Post
    OK, here is more general query about electrickery for the sparks out there.

    The system here in the domestic 220v set-up is a multiple 'fuse box' with 10 , 16 and 30 amp MCBs. A spur system, not a ring main as in UK., that is , out from the consumer unit to whatever circuit, lighting, maybe two or three wall outlets and back. I have added a 30 amp bi-pole rccb for the shower which shares with only one double outlet outside the shower room.
    All basic stuff.

    All appliances have a round plug with two round pins with the earth connection on two contacts at the side. Symetrical, so the plug can be inserted either way in a 180º orientation. so therefore its unimportant which wire is live or neutral.
    I grew up with the UK system of assymetrical plugs with different sized square pins often internally cartridge fused that are always wired identically and can only be inserted one way.

    Standing in the normal, non -electric shower which has no power points within a few metres, but whose plumbing is cross bonded to earth, I felt a slight but noticeable tingle, and on another occasion when I was extending one of the spurs, the testing electrical screwdriver lit up brightly on the live wire, and still very faintly on the neutral.
    I went round taking out one by one every plug until it didn't happen, then put that plug back in the other way round. A few more times until theoretically every appliance was oriented to the mains supply the same way.
    Also on some non professional advice I let the hose run on the ground where the 2 metre 40mm solid copper earth stake is driven near the main supply to the property, as it hadn't rained for months.

    So whats the point in having a live and neutral colour coding on wires if they can be swapped over so easily, or is Portugal the only place where the appliance plugs are like this or Europe generally….
    Do you have Type D socket as pictured below? This says you should have type F, which should go into a keyed recess to keep it oriented. In the US, a two prong plug is polarized like the UK plugs, but ours have a slightly wider pin on the left that is not shown in the picture below. Older homes don't have the narrower slot or the ground pin. Maybe you have an older house with an older style socket without the keys.

    In the US we have one (Type B), well, a second in older homes(Type A), maybe 4 -5 if we pay close attention and look behind the stove and dryer and, holy crap! maybe 80 all told.
    USA NEMA Non-locking sockets Locking
    Many more international sockets as googled:
    http://www.wall-switchs.com/category...tries/portugal

    --And the 14 most common?
    Management is the art of counting beans. Leadership is the art of making every being count. --Joe Finch

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    ibeeria
    Posts
    3,223

    Default Re: instant electric water heater

    Yup, Type F is the boy, also has the Euro flag next to the Cuban. and your link 'THIS' is correct….still you can put the plug in either way round, therefore making the polarisation redundant ...Also how come Cuba gets to have
    A B C F and L seems a bit greedy.
    'C'est la vie' say the old folks it goes to show you never can tell

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Deepest Darkest Wales
    Posts
    19,836

    Default Re: instant electric water heater

    Quote Originally Posted by jonboy View Post
    Who needs a ground when you have your own lightning conductor.
    and I was worrying about whether the circuit breaker was 30 amps or 32.
    The UK commonly uses forty amp circuits for showers, cos many are eight kilowatts.
    Creationists aren't mad - they're possessed of demons.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    ibeeria
    Posts
    3,223

    Default Re: instant electric water heater

    Mine's 6.6 Kw with manufacturer's recommendation of minimum 29 Amp @ 220 v.
    'C'est la vie' say the old folks it goes to show you never can tell

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •