Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cutting a clean hole in metal cargo trailer side

Default Re: Cutting a clean hole in metal cargo trailer side

Straight cuts with a thin cutting disc on an angle grinder, rounded corners before the straight cuts with a good hole saw.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

No cut off wheels, they'll just clog on AL, which can lead to them exploding, @10,000rpm. The nibblers will give you the cleanest edge with the least excitement, a sawzall or jigsaw is the next best option.

+1 to pictures.
    Nosce te ipsum

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dryfoot View Post
    No cut off wheels, they'll just clog on AL, which can lead to them exploding, @10,000rpm. The nibblers will give you the cleanest edge with the least excitement, a sawzall or jigsaw is the next best option.

+1 to pictures.
    Yes, they clog , just touch the cutting edge on a bit of steel and the clogging disappears and so you cut on. They're cheap, fast and don't kick back.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

You being in Tejas and all Imight suggest that you use an Ar15 and connect the dots. . .
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

These metal cutting diamond grinder wheels are great:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/LENOX-Metal...iABEgJntfD_BwE

+1 to pictures.
    Never had an issue with cutting wheels on aluminum. You don't want to use a grinding wheel with aluminum but I have used cutting disks for 30 years cutting aircraft aluminum and never seen explode or heard of one exploding. In fact that's what they supply for us to cut aluminum.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wilkinson View Post
    Never had an issue with cutting wheels on aluminum. You don't want to use a grinding wheel with aluminum but I have used cutting disks for 30 years cutting aircraft aluminum and never seen explode or heard of one exploding. In fact that's what they supply for us to cut aluminum.
    My local supplier has disks specifically for aluminium, 9" too.

If cutting a rectangular hole;

Cut two straight lines corner to corner, this gets four triangles. The don't need to be super straight.

Fold the triangles to inwards, the fold lines define the edges and are reinforced by the he double thickness.
    Creationists aren't mad - they're possessed of demons.

Cut a clean hole in an aluminum composite container side about two and a half inches thick?

You could use one of the above methods to remove the bulk of the waste. For the final cut, make a pattern similar to the one in the picture, it could be any shape, it doesn't matter. For a bit you could use a big top-bearing bit, or a straight bit long enough to go all the way through, half inch shank, of course. With a straight bit you would need to use a collar like the router in the photo, and make an allowance for the offset when you make the pattern. I'd fasten the pattern to the inside with a couple of screws and then rout away.

Use safety glasses.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wilkinson View Post
    I've had one blow up on me while cutting aluminum term bar, I just don't trust them. If it needs to be cut with a grinder I use a segmented diamond wheel like the one posted on the previous page. When it says ferrous metals only, I believe them. I've not seen abrasive disks intended for aluminum cutting as mentioned above.
    Nosce te ipsum

I've had one blow up on me while cutting aluminum term bar, I just don't trust them. If it needs to be cut with a grinder I use a segmented diamond wheel like the one posted on the previous page. When it says ferrous metals only, I believe them. I've not seen abrasive disks intended for aluminum cutting as mentioned above.
    If they weren't safe for aluminum they wouldn't supply them to us as that's 99% of what we cut and they are extremely safety conscious. It had to be a different style disc that we are discussing. We have made thousands of repairs using them, ever hole we cut in the side of a plane is done that way and we are doing some sort of sheet event work nearly every day.
    Attachment 22111image.jpg
    Tom