Thread: A Baby Bootlegger...

Default A Baby Bootlegger...

Check this out...

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/201...y#.W4ep39QrJpg

There's alot of people on this forum that could build that cold molded hull without difficulty. No spars, rigging, interior, foils or ballast. Those 27 litre V12 Rolls Royce Meteor spitfire tank engines can be had for 3-10k, but it would need a 35ft long shed.

A beautiful thing.
    Last edited by Edward Pearson; 08-30-2018 at 05:25 AM.

Default Re: A Baby Bootlegger...

Does she look to anyone else to be running a bit stern-low/bow-high when moving at speed? For some reason I would have expected her to run flatter.

One of my all time favorite powerboat designs, though.

Alex

Looks like it could use some trim tabs at full power to push the bow down.

Regarless, she is one, fine looking, awe inspiring reflection of the past!
    Jay

Baby Bootlegger was on the cover of the very first WoodenBoat magazine I bought, early 80s if my memory is right.
    I couldn't go past it - had never seen a boat like that before and was gobsmacked. Still am.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fabulous boat, But Why oh why did they put that music over it? Surely the music from a 27 liter V!2 surpasses any music you can think of! I turned the video off halfway through. Shame.

Here is a vid i found on you tube without music, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZAy6ClVtNc&t=77s, I can see why they picked the meteor, big powerful & sounds magnificent plus these tank engines are easy to come by. But i do wonder if the sheer size & weight of it is too much for the relatively narrow hull? If you watch a vid of the original Baby bootlegger at speed she runs much higher & cleaner & looks to be going much faster, her engine is obviously smaller & lighter.
    On a similar vein the recent Replica of Sveridge S1 had TWO meteor engines in her, these were supercharged to 1400hp each. I saw her at the Risor classic boat festival a few years ago & she sounded glorious,https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrjo9tKsEhM, but the boat never acheived the speeds you would have thought she would with that lot of power. She ended up flipping over at speed & sinking fortunately without killing anyone. She was raised & rebuilt but i havent heard anything since. I wonder if she would go better with just one engine?

The marinized Hispano V8 in baby Bootlegger weighs 455 pounds and was tuned up to about 450HP in race trim. Tuned for use in aircraft these motors only made about 225 hp. These motors displaced 717 cu in and redlined at about 2000 rpm.

31920(1).jpg

There's a couple of other Baby Bootlegger replicas. Both, to the best of my knowledge use big block Chevy motors, one's a 468 and the other is a 502. Both engines are slightly heavier than the original Hispano engines, yet lighter than this tank motor. They both produce very easy 500 horsepower.

It does seem that this replica has some trim issues, maybe the prop angle could be varied somehow. . .
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Weight of a Merlin is approx 1400lds dry ie without coolant or oil, ie approx three times heavier.... I think in a relatively narrow hull like that it says it all. Heres a vid of the original boat at play, big difference, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3XVUjVkXqI, she runs fast & level.

I wonder if the Meteor is a bit heavier than the Merlin? The first Meteors were basically recovered from crashes I think, but once they were built specifically for tank use Rover or whoever was actually producing them could have substituted steel or cast iron for aluminum in various places--a few hundred pounds here or there wouldn't bother a Cromwell the way it would a Spitfire.

Wouldnt surprise me if they were heavier, apparently some parts were downgraded from forged to cast & heavier manifolds were fitted. I have seen figures for the weight of the Merlin or Meteor as high as 1600lds but either way add the transmission & it gets heavier still, plus the weight of the propshaft to take all that power & torque. Its a big lump for a narrow delicate hull like Baby bootlegger.

Heres a vid of the original boat at play, big difference, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3XVUjVkXqI, she runs fast & level.
    That's MUCH better.

Alex

If I were to build a power boat, she's the design I'd choose. The RR Merlin is my favourite engine as well but I'd never put it in a hull like that. WAY too much weight for that hull. You could probably get similar horsepower and a third the weight with a blown Hemi. I'd probably settle for an aluminum 351 Windsor block marinized and putting out something in the range of 500-550HP.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-