Thread: Metal Museum in Memphis, Tennessee

northern Georgia, or sometimes Mississippi Delta USA

Default Metal Museum in Memphis, Tennessee

Has anyone here been to this? I just discovered it. I've been wanting to go back to Memphis anyway. Will have to include a trip to here. Located next to the Mississippi River just south of the I-55 bridge.

https://www.metalmuseum.org/

A bunch of good photos on Google Maps. https://www.google.com/maps/place/Th...1!4d-90.074894

Default Re: Metal Museum in Memphis, Tennessee

I was expecting something like thisd092afb5942f571b13e4ff0c70ed31cb.jpg
    IMMIGRANTS BUILT AMERICA - IMMIGRANTS BUILD AMERICA

Haven't been there. I could enjoy a metal museum, but one dedicated to 'ornamental' metal, is a bit specific.

Ah heck, I'd still check it out.

Hopefully Mike will tell us about it.
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

Does the entrance greeting play Immigrant Song?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy W View Post
    Has anyone here been to this? I just discovered it. I've been wanting to go back to Memphis anyway. Will have to include a trip to here. Located next to the Mississippi River just south of the I-55 bridge.

https://www.metalmuseum.org/

A bunch of good photos on Google Maps. https://www.google.com/maps/place/Th...1!4d-90.074894

We'll meet you and Brian there if we plan it after October 18. We've been through Memphis but have never actually visited the place. Maybe we could provoke Vince to come too. Come for the ornamental grilles, stay for the barbecue?
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

I went there some years ago. It's a very fascinating place for those interested in any kind of metal fabrication and welding. I heard tales of early work with acetylene before anyone figured out how to store it safely.
    Will

northern Georgia, or sometimes Mississippi Delta USA

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post
    We'll meet you and Brian there if we plan it after October 18. We've been through Memphis but have never actually visited the place. Maybe we could provoke Vince to come too. Come for the ornamental grilles, stay for the barbecue?
    I'll have to figure out when I could make it. I plan on being down the river from there in Helena on October 6 for the King Biscuit Festival and probably in Clarksdale, MS the following week for the Deep Blues Festival.

Quote Originally Posted by willmarsh3 View Post
    I went there some years ago. It's a very fascinating place for those interested in any kind of metal fabrication and welding. I heard tales of early work with acetylene before anyone figured out how to store it safely.
    Bit far from here. But re: the acetylene, when I was in Portugal in the 70s (left in 2004) every workshop had an acetylene generator using carbide lumps in a basket within a cylinder that produced the gas under low pressure, so not the risks of high pressure gas. Never heard of a problem..