Thread: 1968 wood sport fishing restoration on the Chesapeake Bay

Default 1968 wood sport fishing restoration on the Chesapeake Bay

Hello all, I am currently restoring a great boat down here on the Chesapeake Bay. She's a beautifully designed 47' custom sport-fisher built in 1968 modeled after the old Rybovichs of the day. I have her up now for a full restoration and have a question about haul planking I'm hoping you all can help me with. She's a triple haul double-diagonal cold formed boat and the outer layer below the water line is red-cedar and in much need of replacement. I am stripping the outer haul off that is for sure, but my question is, I have a line on some long length CLEAR white oak, is there any reason that I shouldn't go back on that outer haul with the white oak instead of the cedar? I'm pretty sure she'll carry the weight nicely. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Default Re: 1968 wood sport fishing restoration on the Chesapeake Bay

Hi, welcome to the Forum. Did you happen to know a guy named Chuck Phillips? He lived in Chesapeake Beach also and is fondly remembered around here.

To answer your question...bad idea. While a useful timber for many purposes, planking ain't one of 'em. Find yourself a sawmill cutting Atlantic White Cedar. It's out there. Mebbe someone here knows where.

Jim

I did not personally know Mr. Phillips as he passed away before my time in Chesapeake Beach (Moved here 2 years ago), but he is quite well known around the area.

Thank you for your advice! I am glad I asked the question. I thought for sure that white oak was a great planking material.

I second the "NO" for the white oak for this applicaion. It is dimensionally very unstable (expands and contracts, and changes shape a lot).

Hey, sounds like a worthy project. In addition to discouraging the white oak, I'm curious about your boat. You say "modeled after the old Rybovichs" - she's not a Tiffany by any chance, is she?

As already noted use white cedar. You might find it locally and you could call the saw mills on the Eastern Shore Md, De, and Va. If they can't help you Rex out of NJ advertised that they have it. http://www.rexlumber.com/lumber/spec...atlantic-white

Hi
    I am a bit confused about the hull construction. Is it cold moulded with glued double diagonal, or rivited double diagonal with some sort of jointing fabric and mastic between the layers?
    Answers to your questions will be very different depending on the type. You also mention triple 'haul' in the description. Could you expand on that?
    Reason I ask, is that there have been posts on another, UK based, forum about double diagonal rivited construction.
    A2

Some photos would be good..

Actually she was built by a very talented private owner and as I understand with one of Rybovich's former carpenters as help. He built her in he own shop and made his neighbor so mad with the noise that they wouldn't let him cross about 6 feet of their property to make the turn to truck her out and he had have her craned over his office building to get her out. I have pictures of all of this that I will have to get uploaded to show everyone. The story of everyday of this old girl is quite the tale.

Quote Originally Posted by BKay View Post
    Hey, sounds like a worthy project. In addition to discouraging the white oak, I'm curious about your boat. You say "modeled after the old Rybovichs" - she's not a Tiffany by any chance, is she?

She's riveted with 3 layers to the haul (forgive me I am just learning the verbiage of all this). The first two layers are the counter angled diagonal planking with some type of black mastic between them. The outer haul is the in line cedar planking that runs the long axis of the boat. There is also a layer of mastic under this final outer haul. Now when I say riveted I mean the haul planking is fastened with silicon-bronze #12 screws throughout. I will certain take some pics and upload them for more clarity.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew2 View Post
    Hi
    I am a bit confused about the hull construction. Is it cold moulded with glued double diagonal, or rivited double diagonal with some sort of jointing fabric and mastic between the layers?
    Answers to your questions will be very different depending on the type. You also mention triple 'haul' in the description. Could you expand on that?
    Reason I ask, is that there have been posts on another, UK based, forum about double diagonal rivited construction.
    A2

Some photos would be good..

This is VERY helpful. Thank you for the link. My daughters live in NJ and I drive past this place every two weeks to pick them up. This works out great. Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by navydog View Post
    As already noted use white cedar. You might find it locally and you could call the saw mills on the Eastern Shore Md, De, and Va. If they can't help you Rex out of NJ advertised that they have it. http://www.rexlumber.com/lumber/spec...atlantic-white

Thanks for the clarification, so a similar construction to the military boats in WW11, MTBs, MGBs and the ASR boats, few of which are around now. It will be very labour intensive, but light on materials, if you can find decent wood, which is easier over in the US.

So another question for everyone. The keel is quite a mess. It is actually laid over to the starboard side apparently from her settling down on it a few times in the winter low tides. I am having the engines pulled in the next couple of weeks and my marina is going to double stack the jack stands and remove all the keel blocks so I can pull the keel and forefoot and stem out of her (crack her wide open and replace them. As I look up in the bilge I don't see where the ribs are fastened or notched into the keel itself. Is it possible that this keep is just surface fastened as a protection of the props and rudders? There appears to be some kind of covering board over in the very bottom of the boat that doesn't look like the top of the keel at all. I will diagram a mock up for you and post it shortly and I will try and get pictures tonight.

I suspect the mastic between layers is canvas with a mastic. The mastic might be simply thick paint. Hopefully you don't need to replace all three layers.

I suspect the mastic between layers is canvas with a mastic. The mastic might be simply thick paint. Hopefully you don't need to replace all three layers.
    This is what worried me. This type of construction was used in WW11 to get out lots of light, fast, boats with limited life. Repairing them was not of interest back then.
    The guys in UK doing it have quite an uphill struggle.

The inner layers look amazingly well preserved with no discernible rot what so ever that I have found. The biggest issue I am having with the mastic is that it is making removing the cedar very difficult and it's coming off in splinters.

Demrock cut through.jpgI know this image is ridiculously small here in the comment box. I'm hoping you can click on and enlarge it to see what I've sketched. If so know this is obviously a very rough representation and in no way to-scale. I will continue to try and make a larger image.

Your project is growing in leaps. Not to discourage you or anything but it is going to take quite a bit of time to straighten out all the issues you are describing. Do you have helpers and maybe someone with past experience in boat building to give you instructions?

Oh yes, I have plenty of help. She's kind of a legendary boat around here. There are two shipwrights in the area that I can call upon for help. The restoration is the best part for me. It's kind of a therapy for me.

Your project is growing in leaps. Not to discourage you or anything but it is going to take quite a bit of time to straighten out all the issues you are describing. Do you have helpers and maybe someone with past experience in boat building to give you instructions?

I'm also wondering that being as the keel is a layered laminate, may be I don't need to split her wide open? May be I just cut the keep loose at the last layer before the haul and through bolt up a new one? The stem and forefoot as well. They're all layered and would be easy to strip clean down to the line of the haul and laminate new structure to beyond the haul. What do you think the chances are that the buried portions of the keel, stem and forefoot are sound?