Thread: Two Drakes and the smallest harbour in the UK

Default Two Drakes and the smallest harbour in the UK

Selkie just arrived on the west beach, North Berwick. It's a Scottish Coastal Rowing Regatta today, so in the background you can just make out some St Ayles Skiffs on the beach, and some of the team tents below the houses. The smaller red boat among the skiffs is Pascual, another Drake.

Coming into the UK's smallest harbour at Seacliff. The entrance is around 2m (6' 6") and it was fairly gusty. Using an oar like a kayak paddle seemed to work.

Pascual and Selkie take a short break in the harbour.

Pascual with St Baldred's beacon, on the Great Car rocks.

Had a couple more photos, but Flickr is playing up. Perhaps later.
    Last edited by Osbert; 08-26-2018 at 09:53 AM.
    Osbert
    -
    Scratch, a Welsford Walkabout, and Selkie, a Clint Chase Drake 17 rowboat

http://forthsailoar.osbert.org

Default Re: Two Drakes and the smallest harbour in the UK

Pascual and Selkie on Peffer Sands. Bass Rock, the world's largest gannet colony, in the background.

Lunch time.

Five and half hours in total and long, hard pull back to North Berwick against wind and tide.
    Osbert
    -

Thanks for that, impressive boats and venue. Gives me incentive to get back to my Drake build. Planking is finished but I've been having too much fun this summer with other outdoor activities.
    Bruce

Thanks for sharing. I like the fwd deck on the red Drake. Well executed.

Woody

Great thread--thanks. That harbour at Seacliff looks neat. And I love the way there are names for things instead of numbers in the UK: houses, beacons, whatever.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Intriguing. My own Drake is harder to row though.

This is great- and what gorgeous boats.

Any details on the rudder assembly on PASCUAL? I see the mast thwart, was interested in how he was getting by using it while rowing.

Default Two Drakes and the smallest harbour in the UK

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Jones View Post
    Thanks for sharing. I like the fwd deck on the red Drake. Well executed.

Woody

Yes, it’s useful rowing into heavy chop. But as I discovered when helping haul Pascual up the beach, overbuilt!

I’m thinking of a canvas spray deck for Selkie but haven’t got around to it.
    Osbert
    -

Quote Originally Posted by callsign222 View Post
    This is great- and what gorgeous boats.

Any details on the rudder assembly on PASCUAL? I see the mast thwart, was interested in how he was getting by using it while rowing.

Thanks!

The rudder is built to plans more or less. Fixed. Bottom is in line with keel.

The mast thwart is only used for rowing when two people are rowing. Not clear what your question is?
    Osbert
    -

Quote Originally Posted by hnsbrc View Post
    Thanks for that, impressive boats and venue. Gives me incentive to get back to my Drake build. Planking is finished but I've been having too much fun this summer with other outdoor activities.
    Bruce

They are great boats! Good luck with your build. Where will you be rowing?
    Osbert
    -

Thanks Osbert. Rowing is part of my retirement lower impact exercise plan and an excuse to get out on the water. Will be rowing from Frontenac in Minnesota on Lake Pepin which is the largest naturally occurring lake on the navigable Mississippi River, a little over 20 miles long by 2 to 3 miles wide.
    PHOTO-2018-07-04-06-52-45.jpg

My downfall may be the Smiling Pelican Bake Shop which is a 2.5 mile row across to the town of Maiden Rock in Wisconsin.
    PHOTO-2018-07-28-09-12-47.jpg

Thanks again for the thread, I will look forward to more!
    Bruce

Very nice looking boats.

Quote Originally Posted by Osbert View Post
    Thanks!

The rudder is built to plans more or less. Fixed. Bottom is in line with keel.

The mast thwart is only used for rowing when two people are rowing. Not clear what your question is?
    Well, he's not sailing, so I'm wondering why is he using the rudder and how's it working out for him? Benefits/negatives since you both have the same boat, seems easy to compare.

Quote Originally Posted by callsign222 View Post
    Well, he's not sailing, so I'm wondering why is he using the rudder and how's it working out for him? Benefits/negatives since you both have the same boat, seems easy to compare.

Ah right! Pascual rows with the rudder all the time. I’m not sure the line is set up, but he adjusts it by hand and jams it somehow to stay in position. He finds it useful to adjust for wind pushing the bow or stern around.

I broke my rudder fittings soon after launching, I only used the rudder for sailing, and haven’t sailed since or got around to sorting the rudder. (It’s a long story).

I find it pretty easy to compensate for wind by shifting the weight in the boat for or aft to put reduce windage on the bow or stern as required. I generally move the spare oars. I probably also end up rowing harder on one side than the other from time to time.

We both seem to manage fine! I take a certain quiet pride in doing without a rudder, Pascual feels a bit smug having one!

To be honest it’s difficult to compare the effect of the rudder on the boats’ performance from that trip. Pascual is 10 years younger than me and much fitter. He’s been rowing two or three times a week for several hours most of the year. That was probably my fourth outing this year and the only one longer than an hour. I got blisters on my hands and my behind.

Need to get on the water more frequently!
    Osbert
    -

Quote Originally Posted by hnsbrc View Post
    Thanks Osbert. Rowing is part of my retirement lower impact exercise plan and an excuse to get out on the water. Will be rowing from Frontenac in Minnesota on Lake Pepin which is the largest naturally occurring lake on the navigable Mississippi River, a little over 20 miles long by 2 to 3 miles wide.
    PHOTO-2018-07-04-06-52-45.jpg

My downfall may be the Smiling Pelican Bake Shop which is a 2.5 mile row across to the town of Maiden Rock in Wisconsin.
    PHOTO-2018-07-28-09-12-47.jpg

Thanks again for the thread, I will look forward to more!
    Bruce
    That's my backyard (more or less)! Bruce, have you been to the Lake Pepin Messabout? It's the first weekend in June, at a campground in Lake City, MN. I've gone a few times and had a good time, lots of different boats.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Thanks for the heads up on that Tom. I've known about the Pepin Messabout but always been too busy or in Voyageurs Park that time of year. I have more time on my hands now and will try to plan on it next year, hopefully taking some newly launched Drake photos I can send Osbert's way.

Well, rats, I already know I'll have to miss next year. Maybe we'll cross paths there sometime, though. I'll keep an eye out for a Drake--you can watch for a pale green Alaska beach cruiser. Maybe it'll be loaded with stuff from the Smiling Pelican (I usually sail over from Wisconsin).

Tom

www.tompamperin.com