Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just something that bugs me these last few days.

Default Re: Just something that bugs me these last few days.

It's on the wrong thread though. This is the one I asked to be stickyed

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...o-(now-R-I-P-)

Have we not had this thread before?
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

-sigh- I thought the bashing-God-threads only occurred around Christmas and Easter.
    Let me counter this with my total belief and faith in God. Amen.

Peace.

ps let me remind everyone that I'd not a screaming Republican Evangelical, but a sensible moderate Democrat.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    -sigh- I thought the bashing-God-threads only occurred around Christmas and Easter.
    Let me counter this with my total belief and faith in God. Amen.

Peace.

ps let me remind everyone that I'd not a screaming Republican Evangelical, but a sensible moderate Democrat.
    Don't worry, it takes all sorts.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

I never got a sticky before. There is only One Scot, and He works in mysterious ways indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I never got a sticky before. There is only One Scot, and He works in mysterious ways indeed.
    And on a Sunday

Virtue signaling
    Quote Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post
    I observed the thread as a form of braggadocio. It's always nice when somebody does something decent, but boring and pompous when they themselves talk about it. Giving god the glory smacks of false modesty bordering on overtly pious.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    Have we not had this thread before?
    Variations. The question is as likely as old as our species, and as close to unanswerable as anything we've come up with.

And Rich, I certainly don't intend to 'bash God', or even bash people's belief in God, although some might. if religious faith helps people deal with the troubles of life, and treat their fellow human beings well, wonderful; who am I to complain? But those who are convinced of an all-powerful benevolent God really do have to deal with the question of why gratuitously horrible stuff happens. Epicurus put it very succinctly 2300 years ago:

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
    Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
    Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
    Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?”
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    Well, it's nice that bats and birds can eat, don't you think?

Tom
    “Bats are very poor predators of mosquitoes,” says Joe Conlon, a medical entomologist with the American Mosquito Control Association. While they’ll eat the insects, they prefer moths and beetles.

“Less than 1% of their foodstuffs are mosquitoes,” Conlon says. “They would starve if they relied on mosquitoes.”

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    I can't disagree. The conventional theists' habit of giving god credit for the good stuff and no blame for the bad stuff (whether done by people or nature) has never made any sense to me at all. I took a parasitology course in college, taught by a very enthusiastic professor at 8:30 in the morning (VERY early for me in those days), and I recommend something similar to anyone who believes in a benevolent creator.

OTOH, if Geng does something good for his fellow human beings, and says he was inspired by the god he believes in - who am I to argue? I certainly won't discourage him.
    http://www.studentnewspaper.org/a-mi...their-bidding/ An excellent example .
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
    Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
    Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
    Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?”
    meh, god's doing the best he can

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy W View Post
    “Bats are very poor predators of mosquitoes,” says Joe Conlon, a medical entomologist with the American Mosquito Control Association. While they’ll eat the insects, they prefer moths and beetles.

“Less than 1% of their foodstuffs are mosquitoes,” Conlon says. “They would starve if they relied on mosquitoes.”
    Well, birds, then. They gotta eat too, don't they? Or am I wrong there, too? I know somebody's got to be eating them.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

how about, mosquitoes have for many centuries contributed to the prevention of the over exploitation of resources such as the amazon, and most of southern canada, etc etc

What Geng seems to be doing for a couple of kids is fine. Its this caper of ascribing all goodness to some God thing that irks me. And Im sure lots of guys here do good things in their community, with or without direction from God. I found it odd that this bit of good got greater billing here, on the WOODEN BOAT FORUM, than the passing of one our virtual shipmates, who'd actually gone and done some serious boating. But as noted above, that story was a bit hidden, maybe The Omnipotent One missed it

I had to correct that-initially came out as the WOODEN BOAST FORUM

It's a pity the bats don't eat evangelists!

I think there's a big difference between the idea of a personal god and the very childish idea of a creator, omnipotent, interventionist God. If anyone believes there's a sort of personal, inner god that helps and guides them. then who's anyone else to say that's wrong or a bad thing? For me, if there's any truth at all in religion, it's something like this. I think those of us who aren't starving have the power to create our own heaven and hell etc. The problem many if us have is with those who create hell for others, whatever their motives.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    God has a weird sense of humor, proven fact. I spend the occasional hour looking at brain cancer pages on Facebook. Now it seems one thing for someone my age to get a brain cancer but babies and little children ?Just sick!
    I'd say a cruel sense of humor; making all the stuff that tastes good bad for you.
    How do we form a mutiny? Our new captain is navigating poorly.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    Virtue signaling
    In two words, yes.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Geng takes a couple kids under his wing and says it part of his Gods wonderful creation. And that gets a pretty sticky sticky. One of our other members decided not so long ago to live the dream, sold up, bought a boat and set off cruising the world. That God figure didnt seem to like it, hit him with cancer. The boat ended up on a reef in the middle of the pacific, our member and his family were rescued, but maybe it was too much for the wife, maybe that God wasn't happy yet, the marriage failed, and the other day, finally, sadly, our imaginary friend died. Maybe now that God will be happy? Maybe Scot will give our departed friend a sticky? I tell you what, if there is a God, which I don't believe for a moment, he's a very sick and vindictive old bastard.
    What Geng seems to be doing for a couple of kids is fine. Its this caper of ascribing all goodness to some God thing that irks me. And Im sure lots of guys here do good things in their community, with or without direction from God. I found it odd that this bit of good got greater billing here, on the WOODEN BOAT FORUM, than the passing of one our virtual shipmates, who'd actually gone and done some serious boating. But as noted above, that story was a bit hidden, maybe The Omnipotent One missed it

I had to correct that-initially came out as the WOODEN BOAST FORUM
    I hope you understand that I did not say that all good things are because of God.

All I said was (shorten version of my post)

Quote Originally Posted by genglandoh View Post
    I know that some on this forum do not believe in GOD, but I do.

There have been a few times in my life where GOD has given me the opportunity to do the right thing.
    Sometimes I see it, sometimes I don't.

This time I have seen it.

As to you being upset about the way my thread was handled

1. My thread got 761 views, 35 posts and a sticky note for a few days.
    2. The Hey Varadero. (now R.I.P. ) got 12,710 views 216 posts.

So I do not see why you think my thread was given extra special attention.

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...ity&highlight=
    http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...light=Varadero

what's all this pathetic whining about geebus? sorry, but if you want to make a post about a passed away member try doing it without all the condescending and disparaging garbage

Quote Originally Posted by genglandoh View Post
    I hope you understand that I did not say that all good things are because of God.
    I must admit that I find belief in God a very mysterious phenomenon. This post makes me wonder in what way this opportunity was "God given"? Are all opportunities and impulses to do something good, or right, "God given"? What about similar opportunities and impulses occurring in the life of a non believer like me? And if I do something bad (strangely enough, it has been known) is that entirely down to me, or did "the devil make me do it"?

I recently donated a substantial sum of money to my little local charity (mentioned in my earlier post) Did God inspire me to do that without my realising it? I know when the donations are mentioned in the newsletter it will be God who gets the credit (which is fine by me) not the donors. But it really did feel like my decision. As so often often before, I am perplexed by all this.
    "Mozart is the heart's touchstone" (Edwin Fischer)

Quote Originally Posted by downthecreek View Post
    I must admit that I find belief in God a very mysterious phenomenon. This post makes me wonder in what way this opportunity was "God given"? Are all opportunities and impulses to do something good, or right, "God given"? What about similar opportunities and impulses occurring in the life of a non believer like me? And if I do something bad (strangely enough, it has been known) is that entirely down to me, or did "the devil make me do it"?

I recently donated a substantial sum of money to my little local charity (mentioned in my earlier post) Did God inspire me to do that without my realising it? I know when the donations are mentioned in the newsletter it will be God who gets the credit (which is fine by me) not the donors. But it really did feel like my decision. As so often often before, I am perplexed by all this.

probably wasn't God

matthew 6:1-4

A STICKY!

Thor is well pleased.
    The best statement I've seen from this latest carnage came from a student who lived through it -

"My generation will not allow this to continue!"

Remember voting age is 18. Read it and weep reds.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    Virtue signaling
    It's difficult to explain virtue signalling, as I was just saying to my Muslim friends over a fair-trade coffee in our local feminist bookshop.
    Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race. H. G. Wells

^Where's the like button?
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

^ you must add it to your sig to spread it like a virus
    Quote Originally Posted by isla View Post
    It's difficult to explain virtue signalling, as I was just saying to my Muslim friends over a fair-trade coffee in our local feminist bookshop.

^ OK confession time. I stole it from a comedian on the Edinburgh Fringe (Lucy Porter). There, now I've accredited it I feel so much better. What, you thought I was that clever?
    Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race. H. G. Wells

I did. The truth is a bit disappointing so I decided not to believe it. There's a lot of that going around these days.

eh, clever isn't always original. It sometimes is a matter of place and timing and use. Having now said that it sounds like luck. I like luck.

Quote Originally Posted by wsgilliam View Post
    ^ you must add it to your sig to spread it like a virus
    Excellent idea. My old sig was getting a bit tired, and I'm sure Lucy won't mind the exposure.

yer too subtle by far!

Clever enough to steal a bloody good line.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Keep calm, persistence beats resistance.

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    Clever enough to steal a bloody good line.
    Amen

Love the new tag line too!

I'm inspired by Isla to work on a new one as well. The old wooden boat smell on my clothes has finally worn off. Kind of sad, really.