Thread: Rodney Kerne

Default Rodney Kerne

Is there any marine plywood suppliers that make 4ft x 18ft sheets of 3/8 thick

Default Re: Rodney Kerne

Large scale users (large boat builders) do have custom runs of oversized plywood sheets produced, but they can be quite hard to piggy back onto. (Yearssss ago I was able to get a 4x12 sheet.)
    You may well have to scarf standard 8 ft sheets together, rather normal and not particularly difficult.

Default Re: Rodney Kerne

And scarfing is incredibly easy. No machinery, just a sharp long bed low angle plane. Make whole panels before cutting out. 8:1 on 3/8" means make a line 3" back from the end and plane to that. Since you'll always have at least two edges to plane and depending on the job perhaps more, rack them up in 3" steps, very carefully aligned and secured with the bottom panel at the edge of your work surface. (Which can be a firmly made 2x4 frame sort of thing.) Put on your favorite tunes and plane away. I've put such bevels on 6 panels all racked up. Took about 20 minutes. I find it easier than using a power planer which can get a bit aggressive.