Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Offshore Passage in a Gartside Yawl

Default Re: Offshore Passage in a Gartside Yawl

San Francisco is a great town. The day after we arrived, it was the Festival of the Sea at the Maritime National Historical Park on the Hyde Street Pier. We took the ferry across the Bay and joined the throngs, nay, hordes of tourists milling about along the Fishermen’s Wharf and got to the historic pier, where, though it was busy, the crowds thinned a little. There were musicians, demonstrations and the ships were open.

It was a seriously windy afternoon again and the further you got out onto the pier, the cooler it was and the more layers you needed. It reminded me of Mark Twain’s famous quotation “The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco”.

A park Service rigger had a table set up on the lumber schooner, Alma and was demonstrating traditional worming, parcelling and serving.

He had an impressive array of tools to aid him, many of which he had made himself.

There was a demonstration of a breeches buoy rescue, with the line set up between the foremast of the Alma and the beach. I’d known about this historical technique but had never seen it carried out before.

There is an old single cylinder make-and-break gas engine, of the type used in early 20th century Bay fishboats, that sits on the dock. It was running for the day with a Parks staffer minding it and talking about it. What was impressive to me is that you could have conversation next to it while it was running. Mind you, it didn’t have any load on it, but still.
    Alex

"A man who is not afraid of the sea will soon be drowned, for he will be going out on a day he shouldn't. We do be afraid of the sea, and we only be drowned now and again" Aran Islands Fisherman

Here’s another video of the make and break. I love the fact that all the valve train is out in the open and you can actually see the bottom of the piston at the bottom of its stroke.
    Alex

"A man who is not afraid of the sea will soon be drowned, for he will be going out on a day he shouldn't. We do be afraid of the sea, and we only be drowned now and again" Aran Islands Fisherman

Thanks for posting the story, Alex. Much more eloquent than my version would be.

And thanks for being such a great crew member!

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Thanks for posting rekindling some great memories.
    What make of dinghy is that on the foredeck?
    That's a Portland Pudgy.

While we were cruising the inside passage and coastal British Columbia, we towed a Doug Hylan Beach Pea that I built a couple of years ago.

The Beach Pea rowed and towed beautifully, but at 13' was too big to get on deck for offshore passages.

The Portland Pudgy is 8' long, weighs around 125 lbs, and is made of rotomolded plastic. It has water-tight compartments that hold the oars, sailing rig and inflatable exposure canopy.

It has a lot more drag than the Beach Pea when being towed, but is bullet-proof for rocky beach landings.

It also has an inflatable exposure canopy and serves as a lifeboat during offshore passages.

Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    Lots of people find Stugeron miraculous. I've occasionally seen it make people woozy and also give headaches.

OTC in Canada and the UK. Prescription only in the US.

Keep the story coming.
    Stugeron was indeed miraculous for me and Alex. I had no side effects at all. We got ours from a friend who brought it from the UK.

It's actually not available in the US or Canada, with or without a prescription.

However, I was able to find it here: https://www.canadadrugsdirect.com

Strangely, they require a check from a US bank as payment for the first order, the medication is shipped directly to the US from the UK, and they won't deliver to Canadian addresses. $32.00 for 100 tablets, plus $6.99 shipping.

4 to 5 weeks for delivery, so plan ahead if you order from them.

Alex, thank you for the great narrative.

Dave & Rosemary, fair winds in your further travels. I hope to see you again back in the PNW.

Jeff

Thanks for a great narrative and pics! It's encouraging to see someone go down the coast without encountering the "Cape Blanco Low"

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    Thanks for a great narrative and pics! It's encouraging to see someone go down the coast without encountering the "Cape Blanco Low"
    Hugh, the problem we had generally that week was lack of wind, not too much wind. Maybe that is typical for mid-summer but I just don't have enough experience with this particular stretch of coast to know. The only other time I have done that trip under sail was 19 years ago at the beginning of June, and we had good winds then, except for half a day's calm between SW winds dying down and NW winds kicking in.
    Alex

The only time I've been down myself was just after Swiftsure, helping a friend take a boat down for Pac Cup (Rage). We had really light air down the Washington coast and it hit 50 knots around Blanco. Boat handled it better than I did