Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 34

Thread: So, I've bought a pub.

Default Re: So, I've bought a pub.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Bloody hell... so now we've got a water feature. I need to get there. Quickly

One thing I just found out we do have, that I'd like to display a bit better is this bike

IMG20180826101208.jpg

It's the downhill bike ridden by world champion, Steve Peats, to win a world championship on.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Woo hoo... I'm on the way. Watching the Emirates flight crew boarding now. Have an Aussie guy just checked in to the pub. Rode a postie bike with sidecar up from Oz.

I wasn't going for a few more days, but my body was telling me to stop the heavy lifting. Decided to go today... And here I am. Not looking forward to another 1.45am arrival in Bangkok. Such is life.

You are awesome! Congrats!

Don’t forgets pics of the Postie Bike with the sidecar...

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    Don’t forgets pics of the Postie Bike with the sidecar...
    I'm still five or six hours travel away, ... Aren't airports fun places to spend 7 hours or so in the early morning hours... But I see my brother has taken some shots. Here's one

FB_IMG_1538601290477.jpg

Tum, my business partner, is a treasure - and has the kitchen and behind the scenes elements humming. There's lots of new gear in already, new staff are on board this week in both the kitchen and bar and we are introducing new menu items. We've introduced our new coffee culture here and the staff are loving it, after initial resistance.

There's more innovations on the horizon too - and more new equipment arriving every day. It seems our Central Perk sign attracts a lot of shutter clicks too. Might have to get one of the staff to sit out there.... "you take photo... now you buy" (a standard line I encountered in SaPa, Vietnam)

It's just over six years since I first came here to stay... and last night was a repeat match of what started it all

Tum won again.

Meanwhile... she's made me two fabulous cappuccinos already today and my brother is at the machine doing more. We'll be buzzing by the time the McGregor fight starts... with the preliminaries on the screens now.

Then again, today is all about enjoying the MotoGP on the new big screens.

congrats Ian

Thanks Lee.

I think it's fair to say that I've been busy. I'm supposed to be putting together a ride thread... but I need a nanna nap.

I flew to Bangkok a couple of days ago and promptly got booked. $9 this time... after $15 the other day.

Failed with the bureaucracy in getting the paperwork transferred, so headed home. I'd flown Tum down to help with the transfer... but, the Thais don't do paperwork very well.

I headed home the long way, staying in Phetchabun, before hitting the delightful Highway 12.

It's a pig of a place to ride, that Bangkok - especially with a failed GPS battery... and trying to navigate with a hand held phone.

Of course, a thunderstorm hit and I got wet

By the time I'd scored batteries for the GPS, I was out of the rats nest and hammering past the slow cars

The back roads were quiet and I could test the rev-limiter

Just as a matter of interest.... I packed for three days here. No need for big aluminium boxes. Hell, I even brought toothpaste and a brush.

Plenty of open sweepers. Slight modification to the numbers in this photo.

I had a ball. Hundreds and hundreds of corners like this

I had a bit of an incident.... sideways and going down... but saved it. Don't know how. GPS said 52 kph... and I reckon I got to 45 degrees to straight and 45 degrees lean, but it snapped back into line. New underpants needed.

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

Livin' large. Good job.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Thanks Lee.

I think it's fair to say that I've been busy. I'm supposed to be putting together a ride thread... but I need a nanna nap.

I flew to Bangkok a couple of days ago and promptly got booked. $9 this time... after $15 the other day.

Failed with the bureaucracy in getting the paperwork transferred, so headed home. I'd flown Tum down to help with the transfer... but, the Thais don't do paperwork very well.

I headed home the long way, staying in Phetchabun, before hitting the delightful Highway 12.

It's a pig of a place to ride, that Bangkok - especially with a failed GPS battery... and trying to navigate with a hand held phone.

Of course, a thunderstorm hit and I got wet

By the time I'd scored batteries for the GPS, I was out of the rats nest and hammering past the slow cars

The back roads were quiet and I could test the rev-limiter

Just as a matter of interest.... I packed for three days here. No need for big aluminium boxes. Hell, I even brought toothpaste and a brush.

Plenty of open sweepers. Slight modification to the numbers in this photo.

I had a ball. Hundreds and hundreds of corners like this

I had a bit of an incident.... sideways and going down... but saved it. Don't know how. GPS said 52 kph... and I reckon I got to 45 degrees to straight and 45 degrees lean, but it snapped back into line. New underpants needed.
    Most people who pack for 3 days include fresh undies, but yeah, not a lot of room in that little gear sack.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Most people who pack for 3 days include fresh undies, but yeah, not a lot of room in that little gear sack.
    More room than it looks. Bit of a Tardis pack. Undies, shirts and socks.... but no spare daks. I was riding in jeans, which got soaked, but had dried by the time I got to each day's end of ride.

Meanwhile, I just bought a stack of very old teak, with some miscellaneous other timbers included. About US$500 got me one table (not teak), one rather large weird chair (again, not teak), five teak dining chairs and five teak+ bar stools built around old teak wagon wheel centres.

That chair with the cushion is quite comfortable and is very heavy. It will go somewhere that the girls don't have to move it.

I've started with a pressure washer - so much ingrained dirt.... and will get Bang to stain / varnish to match the existing wagonwheel based furniture in the bar side.

Here's the core staff in front of, ahem, Central Perk