Page 1 of 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: So, I've bought a pub.

Default So, I've bought a pub.

I've mentioned it in passing... but, the deposit is paid, the paperwork is on my desk, due diligence is scheduled for this coming weekend... with settlement pretty much straight away - we're aiming for early to mid September. Hell, I've even hired my first two employees (for the pub).

As I'll be living on the premises, I've sold up in Sydney.

Yesterday was back-breaking. Up at 3am today to get my mate and his father under way... but, the borrowed car trailer played up and they hit the road at just before 7am.

I bet the neighbours loved us rewiring the trailer and moving the truck around at 3.30am. With wind gusts of 30 knots... pre-dawn it was an apparent temp of 2C while we were doing it.... for three hours. In the end, we ran all new wires, new plug, etc.

soiboughtapub.jpg

That truck was great for loading... it's a former tow truck - tilt tray type, so we were able to winch on all my workshop gear that I've given to my mate. Table saw, bandsaws, heavy compressor, thicknesser, jointer, cutoff saw, ancient metal lathe bed, wood lathe, sandstone grinding wheel... etc, etc.

We loaded a lifetime's collection of hand and power tools on too. More than a lifetime, really - Dad's and my grandfather's too. Box after box of them.

I've given him my two Harley Davidsons too... but he's just minding my other bikes for me. We managed to fit four on, along with the VW Beetle with the Subaru turbo engine. He'll be back for another bite at it in a couple of weeks.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Default Re: So, I've bought a pub.

cha , cha , changes !

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    cha , cha , changes !
    Oh, yeah. Big changes.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Reckon you might make a good publican Ian. What's the existing clientele like and did you have a few drinkas at the bar with them before you paid over the dough?

Good luck! Were I closer, I'd stop by with a ten-spot, signed with words of good luck, that you could hang behind the bar.

Do you have that custom for well-wishing a new business in Oz?

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

A photo of the pub Ian?
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Reckon you might make a good publican Ian. What's the existing clientele like and did you have a few drinkas at the bar with them before you paid over the dough?
    I know the place. I will post up some photos in a week or so's time. Sorry... can't do it beforehand. I have had a couple of the locals contact me, because they'd heard rumours that I was buying it. All positive. It's better described as a bar / restaurant / coffee shop / hotel. The coffee shop is a relatively recent expansion, that is quite good. The hotel accommodation is only 2 star (my rating, rather than anything official).... about 8 rooms all up, but I'll be in residence, so will probably have 5 for tourists.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    Good luck! Were I closer, I'd stop by with a ten-spot, signed with words of good luck, that you could hang behind the bar.

Kevin
    I'll forward my address

I haven't seen that custom here... which isn't to say it doesn't exist.

Incidentally, I was contacted by PM a week or so back by one forumite who said "you aren't buying ....., are you?" He got it. Damned fine bit of deductive work by him.

In the meantime... I'm working on a $66 million business case for a client, with a firm deadline. I've cracked the back of it. The moving out of a house I've lived in for 35 years is a tougher ask.

It's not easy at any time, Grantulla, all the tools, the bikes, the dreams…………… You leave a deal of your life behind.
    Take it easy……...

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Oh, yeah. Big changes.
    best wishes Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    It's not easy at any time, Grantulla, all the tools, the bikes, the dreams…………… You leave a deal of your life behind.
    Take it easy……...
    Indeed. The biggest concern I have is that I'll drink the profits, so to speak. I'm a social drinker... rarely drink alone, but if I'm with people, I'll drink. Hmm. The guy I'm buying from had a hard and fast rule that I never saw him break. He wouldn't drink anything until 7pm. Then he'd have a red wine - from a cask, so as to not have pressure to "finish the bottle". I think the bar manager has to have a clause in their contract "if the boss gets pissed, you're fired".

I'd arranged to send Grantala to my mate's place, but he and his (retired builder) father had a look yesterday. She's off to the knackery instead, which is a crying shame.

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

Best wishes Ian! I’d join Breakaway in wishes that I could hoist a pint in congratulations.

Real shame about Granrala.

Hope your new endeavor is a smashing success!

Oh shoot I read too quickly, thought you bought a sub !

Well, it is a boat site ...

That's great Ian! Best wishes on your success!

I remember some picture you posted of Granrala, and a bit if an EBS. Love to see them again.

If you don't wish to post it public, PM the address of your pub. I'd love to visit next time I'm 'Down your way'.
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

Kevin
    GREAT IDEA !!!

Ian PM me your Pub Address and I will send you one to hang up.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Indeed. The biggest concern I have is that I'll drink the profits, so to speak. I'm a social drinker... rarely drink alone, but if I'm with people, I'll drink. Hmm. The guy I'm buying from had a hard and fast rule that I never saw him break. He wouldn't drink anything until 7pm. Then he'd have a red wine - from a cask, so as to not have pressure to "finish the bottle". I think the bar manager has to have a clause in their contract "if the boss gets pissed, you're fired".

I'd arranged to send Grantala to my mate's place, but he and his (retired builder) father had a look yesterday. She's off to the knackery instead, which is a crying shame.
    I have a lifetime behind the stick - I can tell you if you have "The Curse", no matter of a any hard and fast rule will prevent you from going down that rabbit hole.

1) NEVER drink in your own establishment
    2) If you do you will NEVER make money
    ....a) You can't count
    ....b) You will buy too many rounds and loose profit
    ....c) You will acquire too many "Friends"
    Last edited by Joe (SoCal); 08-19-2018 at 12:32 AM.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Best wishes for this new segment in your life.
    I once thought I was wrong, but I was wrong, I wasn't wrong.

Very sorry about Grantulla, but you did your best, and likely lavished more on her than anyone else would have. I enjoyed those days on the Hawkesbury.

I wonder if BF purchase is the whole gig; id est land title, business and licence... Anyone care to reply and if this is personal promotion of a service as the forum cautions thereof?

Quote Originally Posted by purri View Post
    I wonder if BF purchase is the whole gig; id est land title, business and licence... Anyone care to reply and if this is personal promotion of a service as the forum cautions thereof?
    How could it possibly be a promotion when the name of the place isnt mentioned?
    Whether Ian bought just the business or the premises as well is his business, and it is up to him to tell us or not as he chooses.
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

^ I have no idea but time will out...

BTW I and others here operate enterprises with no reference to such other than in generic terms. MMD springs to mind,

From his description it sounds like a demotion.
    But, I wish him well.

As I do. !!! BTW as a former member of the NSW State Heritage Office beware the DCP/LEP and the harpies and crones of "concerned residents" and underqualified "heritage advisors" touting their wares to local government. They are the worst of all to deal with!!

Good luck with your new acquisition, Ian.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Congrats on the new venture.

A pub is an excellent way to create something... and to express yourself. My dad always wanted to own one, and I think he would have done well. He even came close to purchasing one just out of town. Which would have been a smart business move - as the plywood business would be on the rocks within 10 years of that incident. But by then his health (congenital heart defect - first heart attack in his 30's) was such that he didn't think he could manage it... and the mill was low-stress. Pretty much ran itself.

Hope you turn it into something lovely.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Grantalla Grantula Granrala…..? must have missed that part of the BF story...off to the knackers, ? horse,? boat,? other undisclosed project. ?

Best of luck anyway. it's a busy life, or trust implicitly your staff, being a publican….hope it doesn't curtail your wheeled adventures, they are always a good read.!

parabems é boa sorte!
    Last edited by jonboy; 08-19-2018 at 08:41 AM.
    'C'est la vie' say the old folks it goes to show you never can tell

Yes. What's a knackery? And good luck!

Gronicle store

GREAT IDEA !!!

Ian PM me your Pub Address and I will send you one to hang up.
    Well....sh!t! It was me who brought it up. PM me the address, as well!

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Well....sh!t! It was me who brought it up. PM me the address, as well!

Kevin
    He did offer to forward his address in post 8, in direct response to you.
    Tom

Do we know what it's called? can we name it? Can we have a poll? 'Traveller's Rest', 'You're banned' 'The World Turned Upside Down' ( Old Kent Road but good for Oz)

He did offer to forward his address in post 8, in direct response to you.
    I'll forward my address
    Thanks, Tom.

I took his smiley to mean the statement was in good-natured jest.

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy View Post
    Do we know what it's called? can we name it? Can we have a poll? 'Traveller's Rest', 'You're banned' 'The World Turned Upside Down' ( Old Kent Road but good for Oz)
    Call it 'Koteka'.
    Rattling the teacups.

Best of luck!

And be willing to count the French-fries (chips) on the plates if you want it profitable.

You could call it Bigfella's.