Thread: Interior Boat Primer

Default Interior Boat Primer

Can anyone here recommend an interior boat primer? Maybe a water-based one? One that is reasonably priced?
    If he ever drinks the brew of 10 tanna leaves, he will become a monster the likes of which the world has never seen

Default Re: Interior Boat Primer

What sort of boat? What material? Open or enclosed cabin? IE does it need to be durable to the weather?

I’m just using interior house paint on my timber H28, though an oil based one, a Berger oil based primer under Berger semi-gloss enamel.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    What sort of boat? What material? Open or enclosed cabin? IE does it need to be durable to the weather?

I’m just using interior house paint on my timber H28, though an oil based one, a Berger oil based primer under Berger semi-gloss enamel.
    Its a Seabright 33 by Reuel Parker, plywood/epoxy with an enclosed cabin.
    If he ever drinks the brew of 10 tanna leaves, he will become a monster the likes of which the world has never seen

I'm about to paint the interior of my (open) daysailer, so your post interests me. I have just about finished with the application of 4 coats of epoxy resin. My plan was to sand and follow up with a Pettit Easypoxy one-part urethane. (Color TBD). If your boat, too, is coated on the inside with epoxy, which seems to be Reuel's recommendation, is a primer necessary? Perhaps I need to re-think my plan...

I paint the interior of my open day sailer with a nondescript acrylic latex paint that I bought from Ace Hardware. It is self priming. This paint does not come in a high gloss sheen, but that's OK with me because I don't want one. I use a semi-gloss. In six years of use, the paint has never chipped or released from the plywood, epoxy, or solid wood it was applied to. I only touch it up to cover the inevitable smudges from my shoes and bumps from gear. I keep the boat covered on the mooring and she lives in my garage during the winter. I would not hesitate to use this sort of paint on the interior of any boat.

Jeff

For interior, you could probably use something like Zinsser primer, which is pretty much available everywhere, and is water based. I would not use latex water based paint on any boat surface though. You can use Brightsides or Epifanes if you are going with a stock color. Fine Paints of Europe will mix any oil base color you want. I use there Hollandlac satin on all my house boattrim.
    Now is a good time!

Steward of MAKOTO [WB Magazine #232], and Honored Member of the LPBC

I'll second the zinzer primer, put some facade of a building in Eastern North Carolina, It's held up 3 years fine with no finish coat, with Northwest Exposure. Its better than the old school oil paint I got paid to apply on boats and it is water cleanup. Now to get it off my hands, primed a bit of a bathroom today. the 1 2 3 primer.

I have also used Zinsser primer with good results. As well as most of the various dedicated marine enamel primers. They all seem to work fine but for a couple of other options to consider, I am planning to try the Totalboat Elixir water based paint on a whitehall pulling boat I am refinishing. It does not require a separate primer. And I am also interested in trying linseed oil paint: https://sagerestoration.com/collecti...-paint#colours

However I expect the professional refinishers on the forum (you know who you are) will come along soon and tell me how misguided I am in even thinking these impure thoughts about marine coatings.
    - Chris

Any single boat project will always expand to encompass the set of all possible boat projects.

Life is short. Go boating now!

What topcoat are you planning to use? Best to use the primer recommended for it; others may work.....

A professional painter, although not a boat painter advised using the Zinsser water based primer as it can handle the wood not being totally dry.
    Simple, but I hadn't thought of that as another positive attribute. We aren't talking pooling water though!
    It can also handle water or oil based topcoats over the top too.

Quote Originally Posted by Corella View Post
    What topcoat are you planning to use? Best to use the primer recommended for it; others may work.....

Okay, now since you mentioned it what topcoat would you use?

For an enclosed cabin you really don’t need to overthink this one, you don’t need to worry about UV, abrasion, weather, rain, salt water and so on. Start what top-coat colour you want in whatever product is readily available near you at the price that suits you and just see what primer they recommend to go with it. Your local paint shop will give you better advice on the products that they have available than what you can get here.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by Rigadog View Post
    Okay, now since you mentioned it what topcoat would you use?
    I finished the interior of my boat not long ago; I used International Toplac (similar to Brightside), flattened with some flattener, over several coats of International Yacht Primer. Went on easily, looks great.