Thread: Horizon aircraft N449QX stolen from SeaTac airport.

Default Horizon aircraft N449QX stolen from SeaTac airport.

Someone from the ground crew took off in an empty planne.

ALASKA AIRLINES
    Information on Horizon Air Aircraft N449QX
    Posted on August 10, 2018 By Alaska Airlines
    We are aware of an incident involving an unauthorized take-off of a Horizon Air Q400. We believe there are no passengers on board. More information as we learn more.
    IMMIGRANTS BUILT AMERICA - IMMIGRANTS BUILD AMERICA

Default Re: Horizon aircraft N449QX stolen from SeaTac airport.

Looks like it crashed on an island. ( a citizen/civilian/ witness Tweet: https://twitter.com/iRVvyBaun/status...32460154970112 )

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Daughter in law works for Alaska Airlines
    They're sponsoring the Pearl Jam concert in Seattle. She was in the corporate suite at Safeco Field when everyone's cell phones went off.
    She and the CEO took off for SeaTac airport immediately.

Plane has now crashed into Ketron Island about 7 miles from our house.

The US military started installing keys (to start the engine, usually just via the ignitor circuit) in it's helicopters because someone stole one and flew it Washington DC.

Perhaps the FAA will create a rule that Part 121 (your normal airlines) to put keys in their aircraft. If that's the case, there will be the occasional announcement from the Captain about how he's sorry for the delay, but they can't find the key.
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

Here's it's final flight "path?" Before crashing on Ketron IslandP_20180810_220549.jpg

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

I think the fighters shot it down.

Good.

No shots were fired.

As an airline mechanic we have all thought about it. Never figured someone would be dumb enough to do it.
    Tom

Some pretty crazy flying in the videos and the audio is something else as well.
    https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2018/0...n-and-crashed/
    Lots of audio here. The guy had some issues it sounds like. Too bad he never got help or didn't realize it was that bad.
    https://www.geekwire.com/2018/stolen...curity-threat/
    Last edited by Tom Wilkinson; 08-11-2018 at 05:41 AM.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wilkinson View Post
    As an airline mechanic we have all thought about it. Never figured someone would be dumb enough to do it.
    Suicidal. And if he'd wanted to crash into downtown Seattle instead, he could have.

Bazillions of dollars wasted, their much-vaunted "security" worthless. "Kept us safe" dream on. The guy only wanted to take himself out.

"Our hearts and thoughts are with the families" gag me with a spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by on the border View Post
    Suicidal. And if he'd wanted to crash into downtown Seattle instead, he could have.

Bazillions of dollars wasted, their much-vaunted "security" worthless. "Kept us safe" dream on. The guy only wanted to take himself out.

"Our hearts and thoughts are with the families" gag me with a spoon.
    you sound resentful

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    you sound resentful
    Have you ever flown ? Have you ever considered how much money they throw away on that retarded "security" apparatus that could be used for something useful ?

Yes. Resentful. Also resentful about the 800 billion a year they throw away on a navy that's good for crashing into cargo ships and an air force that's great at attacking marked hospitals with Puff the Magic Gunship.

I wish Trump were the only thing to be upset about in the US.

edit: Listen to the audio. The guy is cool "Oh yeah I know a little, I played video games" Air control is okay too. At least he got to go out with a bang
    Last edited by on the border; 08-11-2018 at 08:32 AM.

A lot of that is pretty sad to listen to. You can almost hear him having second thoughts.

I'm hearing reports now that it was not a mechanic but ground crew/ramp agent. That makes a little more sense to me after hearing some of the audio.
    Tom

A lot of that is pretty sad to listen to. You can almost hear him having second thoughts.

I'm hearing reports now that it was not a mechanic but ground crew/ramp agent. That makes a little more sense to me after hearing some of the audio.
    Whatever, but seemed to be rather proficient in that he knew the starting procedure, plus taxiing, taking-off and even flying around...

Is it nearly as trivial, as when a silly,14-ish adolescent boy, after a long series of observations, takes his fatherīs car for a joy ride without him knowing it ? (how do I know this )

Perhaps not so.

Quote Originally Posted by carioca1232001 View Post
    Whatever, but seemed to be rather proficient in that he knew the starting procedure, plus taxiing, taking-off and even flying around...

Is it nearly as trivial, as when a silly,14-ish adolescent boy, after a long series of observations, takes his fatherīs car for a joy ride without him knowing it ? (how do I know this )

Perhaps not so.
    There really isn't anything particularly difficult about starting or taxiing. Especially with some of the video games and flight sims available now. There was probably a checklist in the cockpit.
    Tom

I've boated from Eld Inlet over to Anderson Island. Never landed on Ketron. I'm surprised the plane WASN'T shot down. That's spitting distance from Ft. Lewis & McChord AFB.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    I've boated from Eld Inlet over to Anderson Island. Never landed on Ketron. I'm surprised the plane WASN'T shot down. That's spitting distance from Ft. Lewis & McChord AFB.
    They were trying to get him to land at McChord. And the guy was friendly enough in the audio. I can see why he wasn't shot down. He was obviously conflicted about what he had done so they probably thought there was a chance they could get him to land. Shooting him down has a hell of a lot of risk. He was over some populated areas for part of it at least.
    Tom

They were trying to get him to land at McChord. And the guy was friendly enough in the audio. I can see why he wasn't shot down. He was obviously conflicted about what he had done so they probably thought there was a chance they could get him to land. Shooting him down has a hell of a lot of risk. He was over some populated areas for part of it at least.
    I'm sure you're right... I was being hyperbolic. Sad.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Ketron Island is my GO TO spot in hundreds of trips in my speedboats. A 25 mile round trip from Gig Harbor. The south end has a nice little beach, kayakers land there.
    Lotta military near there. I see military training in Zodes there regularly, helicopters doin stuff regularly. Army guys limln on the mainland half a mile away at a small boat launch almost all the time.

That guy could have flown into a building in downtown Seatle or into a dense suburban neighborhood or onto a crowded ferry.

I would have shot him down, he spent enough time over water. It's a mercy it ended without a massive tragedy.
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic and stop the madness. Save the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    That guy could have flown into a building in downtown Seatle or into a dense suburban neighborhood or onto a crowded ferry.

I would have shot him down, he spent enough time over water. It's a mercy it ended without a massive tragedy.
    Lots of things could have happened. If you listen to the audio it's pretty clear the guy had no intention of hurting anyone else.

Anyone "could" do something everyday. Driving a truck, flying a plane, shooting a weapon..... Given the circumstances I think this was handled pretty well.
    Tom

How long until a copycat, do you think?

Anyone "could" do something everyday. Driving a truck, flying a plane, shooting a weapon.....
    Absolutely. What this really exposed is what a joke the TSA is. Sure, they can hassle a mom with three screaming kids, confiscate the two jars of unopened play sand I was bringing to a nephew, feel up some guys junk cuz he looked Manly, check out the good-looking girls on the Superman seethrough screen, give orders and act snotty. But stop anyone serious?

Not a chance.

@Gerard ? Have you heard of gravity ?

Here the TSA equivalent is giving people with artificial joints, pacemakers etc a hard time, and isolating them from their luggage, and sometimes their carers, without securing it and guess what, it get's stolen. "Not our problem" they say, and stats say they are hassling older travellers more than others. Making them takeoff their shoes which can be hard with an artificial hip or knee, and even harder to get them back on again. They even made at least one take off his prosthetic leg to go through the scanners, He had to take off his trousers in public. They expected him to hop?

Same mindset at work, and maybe a scam as well.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Here the TSA equivalent is giving people with artificial joints, pacemakers etc a hard time, and isolating them from their luggage, and sometimes their carers, without securing it and guess what, it get's stolen. "Not our problem" they say, and stats say they are hassling older travellers more than others. Making them takeoff their shoes which can be hard with an artificial hip or knee, and even harder to get them back on again. They even made at least one take off his prosthetic leg to go through the scanners, He had to take off his trousers in public. They expected him to hop?

Same mindset at work, and maybe a scam as well.
    You always love the negative.

Can you provide a reliable link to this? I've got a decent sized plate and screws in my leg.... and it's never set off any detection device.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post

Can you provide a reliable link to this? I've got a decent sized plate and screws in my leg.... and it's never set off any detection device.
    Skuthorp may be right when it comes to blowing the whistle on how some - definitely not all - security and/or customs/immigration staff take handicapped and elderly persons for a ride.

Obviously, an able bodied person as yourself is not someone they would dare inconvenience.

Yet still, when my father was in his early 90īs travelling with my mother 13 years younger than himself, some airport customs staff would take issue with him carrying Napoleon Cognac (long before regulations prohibited any liquids on board).

Spirited sort that he was right to the day he departed, he would bring up Napoleon ....and the Battle of Trafalgar..... which saw them drop their guard...

Quote Originally Posted by on the border View Post
    Absolutely. What this really exposed is what a joke the TSA is. Sure, they can hassle a mom with three screaming kids, confiscate the two jars of unopened play sand I was bringing to a nephew, feel up some guys junk cuz he looked Manly, check out the good-looking girls on the Superman seethrough screen, give orders and act snotty. But stop anyone serious?

Not a chance.

@Gerard ? Have you heard of gravity ?
    I'm curious what you think the TSA should have done here. The guy apparently had no history of any kind of issues. No threats, no previous contact with law enforcement. Family and friends don't seem to know why he did it. What protocols would you put in place. Aircraft have to be accessible to the people that work on them.

I'm not a fan of the current protocols and think it largely for show, but I don't think there was a huge failure by the TSA here.
    Tom

I'm curious what you think the TSA should have done here. ... I don't think there was a huge failure by the TSA here.
    You miss my point. I agree with you, there is nothing the TSA could have done -- which points out how useless the TSA is. Anyone who seriously plans to demoish a building with an airplane, or a bridge with a boat, or any really creative act of sabotage ? The TSA can do nothing.

It's not that they should have done something better. It's that their whole reason for existence is horse droppings.

X-ray the luggage is probably sensible but the rest ? Stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post

My replacement knees have. I usually go through the body scanner but once had a TSA pass that allowed me to keep my shoes on and just walk through the metal detector. After setting off the detector I offered to go to the long line for the body scanner. Not allowed. Now I had to submit to a TSA feel-up.How much sense did that make?
    Ratus ratus bilgeous snipeous!

You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
    Mahatma Gandhi

It may depend on who you get, but the story has gotten some feedback and the procedure, and the baggage thefts are certainly not one offs.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/elderly-wo...041237754.html
    http://www.starweekly.com.au/news/ai...-meadows-home/
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-0...theft/10082150

There are more.

Di has four artificial joints... both hips, both knees. She's done a couple of trips to the US in recent years. No problem at either end... except with United - but that had nothing to do with security issues.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I was told that the Israelis have the most hassle-free pre-boarding security check anywhere, achieved by assigning skilled spotters at several locations on the premises acting in conjunction with armed personnel.

If there's a scam on Ian, that may explain it, but there is opportunity there and someone is exploiting it.