Thread: Hey copter folk.

Default Hey copter folk.

Wheres the tail rotor?
    What kinda copter is it?
    IMMIGRANTS BUILT AMERICA - IMMIGRANTS BUILD AMERICA

Default Re: Hey copter folk.

I've seen and heard of this type before. The main rotor appears to be driven by 'tip jets' at the end of the main rotor blades.

The lack of a transmission between the front of the engine and the main rotor system is obvious. High pressure (and very hot at this stage) air is bled off of the turbine engine at the power turbine section of the engine, and directed up to the main rotor (I say main rotor, even though there is no tail rotor, so I could just say 'rotor') and ducted into the main rotor blades, down to their tips, and exhausted towards the trailing end so the main rotor spins just like it was driven by a transmission.

In a standard helo, the high pressure air at the power turbine section would be used to turn the power turbine wheels mechanically connected to the main rotor via the main transmission.

The ability to eliminate the tail rotor is due to the main rotor not being driven through a transmission, hence no torque generated in that axis. I suspect there is still some torque generated because the main rotor is still connected to rest of the helicopter by flight controls and rotor mounts, which will impart some torque. That torque may be small enough to be countered at the end of the tail boom via airfoils reacting to the rotor wash from the main rotor flowing over them in a hover, then airflow during forward flight.
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

The Fairey Rotodyne also used tip jets...

Here's a different approach.

Someday, I'm going to settle down and be a grumpy old man.

Brian, thanks for that explanation.
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    I've seen and heard of this type before. The main rotor appears to be driven by 'tip jets' at the end of the main rotor blades.

The lack of a transmission between the front of the engine and the main rotor system is obvious. High pressure (and very hot at this stage) air is bled off of the turbine engine at the power turbine section of the engine, and directed up to the main rotor (I say main rotor, even though there is no tail rotor, so I could just say 'rotor') and ducted into the main rotor blades, down to their tips, and exhausted towards the trailing end so the main rotor spins just like it was driven by a transmission.

In a standard helo, the high pressure air at the power turbine section would be used to turn the power turbine wheels mechanically connected to the main rotor via the main transmission.

The ability to eliminate the tail rotor is due to the main rotor not being driven through a transmission, hence no torque generated in that axis. I suspect there is still some torque generated because the main rotor is still connected to rest of the helicopter by flight controls and rotor mounts, which will impart some torque. That torque may be small enough to be countered at the end of the tail boom via airfoils reacting to the rotor wash from the main rotor flowing over them in a hover, then airflow during forward flight.
    I suspect that the exhaust from the engine flowing over that large rudder also contributes.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

While on the subject, how does the regular Help transmission work to gear down a tens of thousands RPM turbine to the rotor speeds?
    And gas turbine driven ships too, for that matter?