Thread: New Favorite Porsche?

Default New Favorite Porsche?

This has potential. Price? Don't bother me with reality... I'm fantasizing here!!!

https://www.tflcar.com/2018/08/2019-taycan-600-hp-news/

David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Default Re: New Favorite Porsche?

Why do electric cars, and Porsche electric cars at that, have front radiator openings?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    Why do electric cars, and Porsche electric cars at that, have front radiator openings?
    Maybe...

David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Other than racing, Porsche hasn't made a single decent car since 1967...

Jeff C

Quote Originally Posted by leikec View Post
    Other than racing, Porsche hasn't made a single decent car since 1967...

Jeff C
    i was thinking 1972. . .

ca0815-227079_3@2x.jpg

My brother was pretty fond of his '89 930 - the turbo with the 5-speed manual.

What are you doing about it?

that new one might be the best looking car they've made in 50 years. (not a porsche fan)

Brake cooling? Battery/motor cooling?

Hell I don't know... ask an expert, ask Katherine.
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

The batteries require considerable cooling.

Wow they put considerable time and energy into making some exceptionally ugly wheels for that one.
    No adversary is worse than bad advice.

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    This has potential. Price? Don't bother me with reality... I'm fantasizing here!!!

https://www.tflcar.com/2018/08/2019-taycan-600-hp-news/

[IMG]https://www.tflcar.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/taycan-2-768x433.jpg[/I]
    How long is the cable?
    Someday, I'm going to settle down and be a grumpy old man.

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    Wow they put considerable time and energy into making some exceptionally ugly wheels for that one.
    I think maybe they're supposed to be 'edgy'...

Quote Originally Posted by P.I. Stazzer-Newt View Post
    How long is the cable?
    300+ miles. (that's maybe 500 kilo-metrics for y'all) <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Air scoop in the front for the aerodynamics, ie sucking the car to the pavement for more traction in the twisties?

It might not seem like it but I really like my oh-one boxster s. All except the melting engine part. I would love to have that hp in my z3, but it isn't necessary at all, the one-ninety is fine. If they were new and side by side and cost the same, I'd pick the beemer, but that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy the Porsche otherwise. It would be weird, I think, to have all the power and acceleration that car must have and getting on it, being as quiet as an electric motor.
    I don't care to know what the tough do when the going gets tough.

I am interested in what the enlightened do.

Buddy of mine was just out visiting from the east coast and noticed how many Tesla Model 3's there are here. He then said there should be a great business in designing a front bumper grill wrap for it because it looks naked without one. I kinda agree.

This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

A couple of years ago, one day out having lunch on a rural road alongside the deep water channel that parallels the Sacramento river, I watched a young guy drive up and park and get out of a home-built electric car. It looked like a sorta big go-kart, no doors and no top, and it was absolutely quiet. He came in and got his tamales, and when he went back out to drive away, he just sat down and sped to the little parking lot's driveway near the four way stop, without apparently doing anything to get going except work the accelerator. But he just sat down and put the tamales to the side and was doing ninety out of the driveway in a hearbeat, with no noise, and he was a mile down the round seemed like instantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    Buddy of mine was just out visiting from the east coast and noticed how many Tesla Model 3's there are here. He then said there should be a great business in designing a front bumper grill wrap for it because it looks naked without one. I kinda agree.
    The front kinda looks like the back. But whaddabout the rest of the air duct looking stuff in the front at the bottom? A human brain is so suggestible by design, that the lack of the visual clue of a traditional grill opening would cause other drivers to experience a dizzying moment of cognitive dissonance, panic, and ultimately, traffic anarchy, rioting, looting and blood in the streets. And so in the usual spirit of conscientously minding the safety and well-being of the driving public, the automakers add that cosmetic shirt. Heartwarming.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mahan View Post
    Air scoop in the front for the aerodynamics, ie sucking the car to the pavement for more traction in the twisties?

It might not seem like it but I really like my oh-one boxster s. All except the melting engine part. I would love to have that hp in my z3, but it isn't necessary at all, the one-ninety is fine. If they were new and side by side and cost the same, I'd pick the beemer, but that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy the Porsche otherwise. It would be weird, I think, to have all the power and acceleration that car must have and getting on it, being as quiet as an electric motor.
    Funny. I have a 2000 manual Boxster, and a 2002 tiptronic. And a 1998 2.8 Z-3. I prefer the Porsches. Even though they are just 2.7s, not the S. The BMW is a bit less refined. Kind of clunky in a stolid Germanic way.

I like it! I'll never be able to afford it, but I like it very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Funny. I have a 2000 manual Boxster, and a 2002 tiptronic. And a 1998 2.8 Z-3. I prefer the Porsches. Even though they are just 2.7s, not the S. The BMW is a bit less refined. Kind of clunky in a stolid Germanic way.
    Sorta how I felt test driving the Honda S2000. Same weight and HP as the boxster S's 3.2 six, at about twenty-seven hundred pounds and two-fifty. My z3 is the 2.8l, the book says one-eighty-nine, same weight about. The boxster cockpit felt more tucked in and the door sills too high. I personally like the manual top, but I wish my car had the glass and not the plasitc rear window.

Drift. Drifting drift. About a week or so ago, for no particular reason that I remember, it occured to me to see what it was like driving without the traction control anti skid on. And I broke the rear loose and got a little squirrely in some turns around town on some errands, not breaking the speed limit of thirty-five or forty mph, and then in some fit of nostalgic something from my high school days, out of the blue, I smoked the tires, peeling out at the four way stop on the main feeder to the grocery store. It was awesome. Positraction. Do you have any idea of the grief I would endure if I had been given a ticket for that stunt, by the Minister of All Things, Blessed be Her Unutterable Name?

It's Diane.

Its nice but it's no Tesla Roadster in performance or looks in my opinion

Tesla
    Roadster

The quickest car in the world, with record-setting acceleration, range and performance.

0-60 - 1.9 sec
    +250 mph top speed
    620 mi range

Good luck Porsche

This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    Never mind the wheels, what about the name! What the heck is "Taycan" supposed to be evocative of?
    Actually I quite like the wheels, but they'd be a disaster area in the hands of some incompetent skilled in the art of kerbing.
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

what was wrong with porsche giving their models number designations???

taycan is some made up word with turkish roots supposedly meaning wild foal

If you can't be happy in a cardboard box with nothing, then you can't be happy with expensive things that you do not deserve.
    The Reverend

I love the idea of a fast, silent car!

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis Mike View Post
    If you can't be happy in a cardboard box with nothing, then you can't be happy with expensive things that you do not deserve.
    You seem to have a lot of knots in your rope today.

There is nothing wrong with owning a nice car, or a nice house, or a beautiful boat. It can be unhealthy to overvalue those things by using them to define self worth, just as it is (IMO) equally unhealthy to be bitter about another person's lifestyle.

Jeff C

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Orca View Post
    My brother was pretty fond of his '89 930 - the turbo with the 5-speed manual.
    ... and the only year that they came with the five speed.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Somedays i miss my old 72.. the only car i ever owned that actively tried to kill it's driver every chance it got. I sold it and bought a lancia
    "Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of Strength"

-Edmund Burke

Porsche has, and can, out deliver Tesla in anything. Including short squeezes https://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/30/b....17372644.html

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post

I see a similarity.
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

taycan is some made up word with turkish roots supposedly meaning wild foal
    A young mustang?
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

porsche2.jpgporsche1.jpg

Saw this one Saturday. I think it's just fine.
    The best helping hand you will ever receive is the one at the end of your own arm.