Thread: Oil-sucking nano-sponges

Default Oil-sucking nano-sponges

I read this abstract in the most recent Marine Technology magazine, which is a publication of the Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers (SNAME). It might have 'trickle-down' impact on private boats in the future:

Reusable Magnetic Nanocomposite Sponges for Removing Oil from Water Discharges

By Ping Y. Forlan, Brian M. Ackerman, Michelle E. Melcer, and Sergio E. Perez

Vessels produce oily wastewater during evolutions including engine room operations and maintenance, cargo operations, deck machinery operations, washdown, and runoff. Currently, technologies require effluent to be gathered in a central tank for treatment or managed through best management practices. Technologies to remove oil include gravity separation, filtration, absorption, coalescing, centrifuging, and flocculation. The majority of the technologies require periodic replacement of treatment materials associated with oil removal. These technologies may lose efficiency due to vessel motion. In this article we introduce a simple, efficient, eco-friendly procedure using readily available materials and equipment for fabricating high-performance magnetic polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS) nanocomposite sponges for oil-water separation. The magnetic sponges are resistant to corrosive chemicals, exhibit high sorption capacities for oils and cleaning agents, and selective sorption for oil from oil-water emulsions. The sponges can be used multiple times with no sign of deterioration. They are magnetically controllable and will hold position when magnetized, allowing for seperations not compromised by vessel motion. The magnetic PDMS nanocomposite sponge(s) provide a promising technology for removing oil from vessel water discharges.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Default Re: Oil-sucking nano-sponges

ok.. that's some serious rocket science there.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

There are also some cool materials known as zeolites. Zeolites are an aluminasilicate with different size pores for different tasks. One of the most common uses is in the aluminum frames for double pane windows. They're there to absorb moisture that may accumulate between the panes. Other uses are as traps or filters for other fluids - including oils. IIRC, you can "wash" the zeolites with other materials to remove the filtered materials - so oil and water separation. The upside is that they're cheap.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

"Oil-sucking nano sponge" - what a great insult!
    I rather be an American than a Republican.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianY View Post
    "Oil-sucking nano sponge" - what a great insult!
    Insult? Itís the name of my new garage band!

Peace,
    Derrick Shaleworthy

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Insult? It’s the name of my new garage band!

Peace,
    Derrick Shaleworthy
    I'll add that to my "Great Band Name" list
    I rather be an American than a Republican.