Thread: Fox News & white nationalism

Default Fox News & white nationalism

Openly promoting it now.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...145500286.html

The Trump Era does have one upside: people now feel comfortable saying the quiet parts out loud. You no longer have to decipher what they're really about-they'll just tell you straight-up. That's why it's a more and more common experience to wake up and see that one of the fabulously rich resentment-peddlers on the president's favorite news network spent the previous evening spouting unabashed white nationalism on-air. Usually, it's Tucker Carlson who pops up on Fox News to rail against "demographic changes" in America-that is, non-white people immigrating here. That kind of rhetoric has earned Carlson praise from Richard Spencer and David Duke.

But Laura Ingraham certainly gave Carlson a run for his money Wednesday night, unleashing a nakedly white nationalist rant that suggested "the America we know and love" has been destroyed by "massive demographic changes" due to both illegal and legal immigration:
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Default Re: Fox News & white nationalism

I'm of two minds here; maybe better to get it right out in the open - or maybe making this kind of thing publicly acceptable (well, in some circles at least) runs the risk of encouraging it.

One thing - it does make those who have criticized the tendency of some on the left to shout 'racism' at the slightest provocation look a little silly. I've done it myself. There's very obviously more real racism under the mask on the right than they claimed - or perhaps more accurately, ethnocentric nationalism - although it's probably not coincidental that most of those nasty other folks have darker skin or funny-looking eyes. I wonder whether it was always there, or whether it's reappeared as the right has gotten more or more extreme. Probably some of both.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Itís always been there.

Peace,
    Robert

so the new code phrase for racism and xenophobia is "massive demographic changes"... Got it.
    I rather be American than a Republican.

It's only going to get worse as Caucasians slowly become a minority in this country. What they are really afraid of is being treated like they chose to treat PoC all these years.
    "Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of Strength"

-Edmund Burke

As the figures change it may get much worse, but If Aus is any example the younger generations seem much less hung up about it.
    And don't forget the malign influences of uncle Rupert are not so far in the background of this, and money and political influence are his playthings.

Gack. That Jerri Hall married Rupert still blows my mind.

Meanwhile, yes, Fox may as well just start using 'all the white people news all the time ' as their service slogan.
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic and stop the madness. Save the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Haberland View Post
    It's only going to get worse as Caucasians slowly become a minority in this country. What they are really afraid of is being treated like they chose to treat PoC all these years.
    They're afraid of Good Negro Government.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post

Meanwhile, yes, Fox may as well just start using 'all the white people news all the time ' as their service slogan.
    How about 'All Whitey is Alrighty!'
    Rattling the teacups.

You’re doing it again.
    Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country. John Fn Kennedy. (D)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIAXG_QcQNU

Quote Originally Posted by mdh View Post
    You’re doing it again.
    Yes.

I am.

I'm sorry I'm 'forcing you to be a Nazi' . . . . Snowflake.

Truly, I am.
    Rattling the teacups.

Trump and Fox have identified their audience but promotion of bigotry and fear will not help that segment of the population, it’ll hurt them.

https://www.juancole.com/2018/08/bus...ant-crime.html

President Donald Trump’s core supporters consist of 60 million to 80 million American adults, 90 percent of them White and four-fifths age 40 and older. They score high on unofficial measures of “racial resentment,” anger at perceived “loss of status” and victimization of White Christians, fearfulness, and support for authoritarianism. Are these psychological tendencies the cause or consequence of alarming social trends that are only just now getting attention?

Trump and right-wing pundits accuse immigrants, urban gangs, and their liberal “abettors” of inflicting epidemics of violence, drugs, violent killings, and “crime, crime, crime” on Americans. Reality is the opposite. It’s Trump’s own mostly-older, White constituencies who are suffering and perpetrating surging crises of lethal self-destruction, crime, and violence.

So did the violence increase because of the political persuasion of the county population, or did the political attitude change because of the changing violence?
    What were the demographic changes in those counties over the 25 years?
    Do we see the same trends in other states?

Quote Originally Posted by David W Pratt View Post
    So did the violence increase because of the political persuasion of the county population, or did the political attitude change because of the changing violence?
    What were the demographic changes in those counties over the 25 years?
    Do we see the same trends in other states?
    Economic stagnation with the older generation seeing their kids with a less hopeful future. Political persuasion isn’t a factor in the violence, it’s a coincidence. While Republican Party recognized the disenfranchisement of the white rural demographic they also allowed for the cultivation of resentment and bigotry.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianY View Post
    so the new code phrase for racism and xenophobia is "massive demographic changes"... Got it.
    Stepping on my own thread here, but it seems to me when they make it difficult, or impossible, for poor folks of color to obtain abortions, or birth control, or even sex ed, they are helping grow the non white population faster.
    How do we form a mutiny? Our new captain is navigating poorly.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Haberland View Post
    Is that code for treated equally?

Laura Ingraham stated no one voted for demographic change. Worth peeling that onion, eh? She must see a need to restrict movement to her state/county/city/neighborhood as in Jim Crow legislation.

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    Stepping on my own thread here, but it seems to me when they make it difficult, or impossible, for poor folks of color to obtain abortions, or birth control, or even sex ed, they are helping grow the non white population faster.
    Well, they do need people to clean their house, take care of their kids and pick their fruit and vegetables...
    I rather be American than a Republican.

It is instructive that proto-Nazi and white supremacist demonstrations were basically unheard of until our current president gave them dog-whistle encouragement. They even had one in Washington DC, fer crissakes.
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic and stop the madness. Save the country.

It is instructive that proto-Nazi and white supremacist demonstrations were basically unheard of until our current president gave them dog-whistle encouragement. They even had one in Washington DC, fer crissakes.
    they weren’t unheard of, DHS identified their rise in 2009.

https://www.wired.com/2012/08/dhs/

But Johnson's career took an unexpected turn in 2009, when an analysis he wrote on the rise of "Right-Wing Extremism" (.pdf) sparked a political controversy. Under pressure from conservatives, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) repudiated Johnson's paper – an especially bitter pill for him to swallow now that Wade Michael Page, a suspected white supremacist, killed at least six people at a Sikh temple in Oak Creek, Wisconsin. For Johnson, the shooting was a reminder that the government's counterterrorism efforts are almost exclusively focused on al-Qaida, even as non-Islamist groups threaten Americans domestically.

"DHS is scoffing at the mission of doing domestic counterterrorism, as is Congress," Johnson tells Danger Room. "There've been no hearings about the rising white supremacist threat, but there's been a long list of attacks over the last few years. But they still hold hearings about Muslim extremism. It's out of balance."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.6afbcf1ded0d

Eight years ago, I warned of a singular threat — the resurgence of right-wing extremist activity and associated violence in the United States as a result of the 2008 presidential election, the financial crisis and the stock market crash. My intelligence report, meant only for law enforcement, was leaked by conservative media.

Since 2008, though, the body count from numerous acts of violent right-wing terrorism continued to rise steadily with very little media interest, political discussion or concern from our national leaders. As this threat grew, government resources were scaled back, law enforcement counterterrorism training was defunded and policies to counter violent extremism narrowed to focus solely on Muslim extremism. Heated political campaigning by Donald Trump in 2016 pandered to these extremists. Now, right-wing terrorism has become the national security threat which many government leaders have yet to acknowledge.
    America finds itself overwhelmed with domestic terrorist attacks, increased terrorist plotting and the emergence of new polarizing political issues. Meanwhile, the U.S. government has not only failed to implement an effective strategy to combat right-wing terrorism; it is afraid to even raise the subject in public for fear of political backlash or contradicting its narrow-minded terrorism narrative (e.g., terrorism only comes from Muslims).
    The Islamist militants who brought down the World Trade Center’s twin towers 16 years ago (or the ones who rammed their vehicles into pedestrians in London, Paris and Barcelona recently) had no domestic constituency. Their acts weren’t enshrined instantly on social media or obliquely heralded by the president, duly elected representatives or rationalized by media ideologues dead set on preventing a political backlash. The terrorists I have dedicated my life to stopping have had all that going in their favor. This is more than a formula for disaster. It virtually invites the disaster upon us.
    Last edited by LeeG; 08-11-2018 at 12:37 PM.