Thread: TomF - That's a little too close to home!

Burlington, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.

Default TomF - That's a little too close to home!

Crap, this stuff isn't supposed to happen in our small cities. Is this anywhere near you?

At least four people are dead after an early-morning shooting in a residential area of Fredericton.
    Police are telling residents to avoid the Brookside Drive area as they "investigate an ongoing incident." They confirmed in a tweet there were four fatalities.
    "More information will be available when we can confirm," Fredericton police tweeted.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...lice-1.4780396
    Stay calm, be brave....wait for the signs. Possibly precariously prevaricating.

Default Re: TomF - That's a little too close to home!

Yes, check in Tom.

Essentially the same release on the Beeb

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-45146056

I'm fine. Apparently police have a suspect in custody now, though no further info being released. Fredericton is a small city - while this was on the other side of the river from me, nothing is far away. The shooting apparently was about 7-8 minutes away from me, and the same distance away from my daughter and son-in-law's house (though in a different direction).
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Glad to hear you and yours are safe
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Yeah. As this was in a middle-income residential neighbourhood and seems to have been focused on one home in particular, my guess is that it's some horrible family drama. Or less likely, drug-crime related. The reports seem to suggest that multiple shots were fired at about 7:00 in the morning, that at least 4 fatalities occurred, and that the perpetrator then left the residence - presumably, still armed. Hence the lockdown in the area of the city which could be reached easily on foot, or which would have been contained by roadblocks on a couple of arterial roads.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

OK, I'm revising that. News just in that of the 4 people who died this morning, 2 were police officers. Which makes me re-think whether this was a family tragedy or crime related.

No further threat. The suspect is being treated in hospital for serious injuries related to the morning's events. Lockdowns have been lifted by police.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

I'm looking forward to a double murder/suicide at my neighbors .

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    OK, I'm revising that. News just in that of the 4 people who died this morning, 2 were police officers. Which makes me re-think whether this was a family tragedy or crime related.
    police responding to domestic violence/family tragedy would be my guess
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    I'm looking forward to a double murder/suicide at my neighbors .
    Easy there. Somebody even noisier and wealthier will end up buy8ng the place.

shooter in custody, injured
    no other details
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Not only the shooter was injured - multiple others too. To the point that the hospital has requested that folks don't go to the Emergency Room unless, well, it's an emergency...

Sad story for all involved. RIP to the victims and the fallen officers and strength to the survivors.
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

This is just awful.
    Will

There's to be a news conference conducted by the Police in an hour or so - where we will likely learn something more.

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

Terrible story Tom. Best wishes to your community.

Officers were responding to a "shots fired" call, and observed the two civilian victims lying on the ground when they arrived at the scene at 7:10 this morning. Events went from there; the two police officers who died were named, and were each in their mid 40s. One a 20 year veteran, the other a 2 year veteran with a further 2 years as an auxiliary member of the police. The shooter is a 48 year old male from Fredericton. Other than that, no information is being released, because of the ongoing investigation.

RIP.

Pleased to hear that you and yours are safe and that the crim is in custody.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.