Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm reading that "Pelosi should go". Why?

Default I'm reading that "Pelosi should go". Why?

I'm not seeing any reasons, which is a reflection on the media reporting. The usual crap like "liberal bias" and "elitism" does not apply here, just inadequate reporting.

Default Re: I'm reading that "Pelosi should go". Why?

'Pelosi should go' in the same sense that Hillary was shrill, but mostly because They will castigate her for being one of the faces of opposition to the mcyrtles and ryans, bannons mercers millers et al.

She should stay, and continue to serve, like at least ninety percent of the enemy incumbent, precisely, in part, because They want her gone.
    I don't care to know what the tough do when the going gets tough.

I am interested in what the enlightened do.

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

Speaker Pelosi and Majority Leader Reid were inadequate leaders during the Obama administration. Obama deferred to Congress often on his signature legislation, and they failed to deliver. In particular, the deliberations over the Affordable Care Act were a train wreck. It’s hard to imagine that she’s learned new leadership skills.

Today, Ms Pelosi is also a caricature for attack by Republicans.

Democrats would be better served by a different leader in the House for both reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Ross View Post
    Speaker Pelosi and Majority Leader Reid were inadequate leaders during the Obama administration. Obama deferred to Congress often on his signature legislation, and they failed to deliver. In particular, the deliberations over the Affordable Care Act were a train wreck. It’s hard to imagine that she’s learned new leadership skills.

Democrats would be better served by a different leader in the House for both reasons.
    I agree.

The thing the Democrats need is 'fresh faces'.... time for the old guard to give way. Pelosi, et. al., have way too much baggage now.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Not progressive enough.

That's the long and the short of it for me.
    No adversary is worse than bad advice.

Dims will have tough time getting rid of her. She’s the party’s biggest fund raiser and even more so than Hillary she knows where all the bodies are buried. And talk about ego, hers is outlandish. She ain’t going no where.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    Not progressive enough.
    while I do agree that Pelosi and even to a lessor extent, Hillary, are not progressive enough, I really hate the fact that so many would not hold their noses and vote for them. This is one of the reasons that The Donald is President.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

The sentiment against Pelosi grows:

“While Democrats grow optimistic about their chances of taking control of the House in November, they are increasingly anxious that the presence of their longtime and polarizing leader, Nancy Pelosi, is making it harder for many of their candidates to compete in crucial swing districts,” the Washington Post reports.

“Republicans, clinging to a 23-seat majority in the House, have made the House minority leader a central element of their attack ads and are portraying many of their opponents as inextricably tied to the liberal from San Francisco. At the same time, some Democrats are expressing alarm that she is standing in the way of the next generation of leaders.”
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

If the Ds persuade Pelosi to not be the next the Speaker, they'll still use her like they still use Hillary.

I agree that she should take one for the team. And that the old guard needs to support the next generation, and that not only do we need fresh faces and ideas, we ought to figure out how to get a D (or I) majority, and keep it, without having it be comprised of life-time incumbents. We need the center to move back left, and we need to make the Rs whine and squeal for being the perpetual minority in government at all levels across the planet.

Hi Onz.
    I don't care to know what the tough do when the going gets tough.

I am interested in what the enlightened do.

When a political party has repeatedly lost elections in all areas of Government.
    Normally the leadership would step down allowing for the party to rebuild.

By not stepping down the Dem leadership is causing some in the party to go public with their desire for change.

" inextricably tied to the liberal from San Francisco ... "

Totally false. She's a carpetbagger from Baltimore, not San Francisco and not a liberal, and crooked as they come. Her husband has a large construction company which just coincidentally gets tons of public works contracts. She flaunts the emotional flag but after the lights go down, she's the one passing around "Let's Give Another 500 Billion to Goldman-Sachs" legislation.

If she did go, it would be best for the identity of the Democratic Party.

Quote Originally Posted by Boater14 View Post
    I googled. The right wing media is right on the story. Since when is being rich unamerican?
    It's antithetic to what the Democratic Party is supposed to be. If people want to be rich as***les, they can be Republicans. Getting votes by telling the working class you are there to represent them, then selling them out to Wall Street is not cricket.

It's not the right wing media, btw. Real Democrats (both of us) have despised her for decades.

Quote Originally Posted by on the border View Post
    It's antithetic to what the Democratic Party is supposed to be. If people want to be rich as***les, they can be Republicans.
    hahaha

can't wait till ozna sees this one

juts curious, on the border, is that really you rodb???

All of them should go. On both sides. We don't have a government. Let anarchy rule. The sooner we hit rock bottom, the better. We can rebuild from the ashes and make America great again.

eh? that you sky blue?

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis Mike View Post
    All of them should go. On both sides. We don't have a government. Let anarchy rule. The sooner we hit rock bottom, the better. We can rebuild from the ashes and make America great again.
    You can't kick it all out and build new. There are some very good parts of our Government that are worth saving, propping up, and building upon. Our system is pretty sound, it's the idiots at the helm and in the rigging that are making the ship of state stray off of it's heading.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Sounds like you are a Trump supporter, drain the swamp.

The reds are terrified of having a woman in charge. Expect calls to lock her up any day now. Now if only she had gone to Bengazi...

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    The reds are terrified of having a woman in charge.
    Nah, we already had Jiang Qing. Pretty confident we can survive anything now.

Quote Originally Posted by genglandoh View Post
    Sounds like you are a Trump supporter, drain the swamp.
    Who will be indicted first? Jared? Ivanka? Don Jr? Wilbur Ross? Michael Cohen?

If you truly want the swamp drained, you should be rooting for Mueller's investigation to proceed until it is finished.

Jeff C

this is where one of those cases of "both sides are guilty of" is true. We have idiots and stupidity on all sides of the political spectrum. If this call to get rid of Pelosi is coming from the Right in an effort to weaken or get rid of her, enough people on the left will believe it and work against her. This happens EVERY generation. As the young fresh bucks come up the ranks, they find their progress slowed by the older generation. It's all part of growing up and getting wiser. Do I agree with everything Pelosi does, no. Is she a bit detached and removed from the people, yes.. but she is still our best foil against The Donald and his cohorts and until she ages out and retires, she is in a good position to get things done.

-Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Art Haberland View Post
    she is in a good position to get things done.
    so what has she got done?
    what are her hallmark legislative achievements? just off the top of your head. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Art Haberland View Post
    ... until she ages out and retires
    When's that going to be ? When she's 120 ? She's almost 80 now, fer hevvinsake !

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    what are her hallmark legislative achievements? just off the top of your head. . .
    She hasn't done anything. None of them have with the exception of destroying the middle class. There is nothing left. Both sides are to blame. Let God sort em out. There are rich elites on both sides. Pelosi is one of them. The bag eyed beotch should resign but she won't because greed has her by her balls.

Term limits for all of them. Two years. No chance for re election after that. Cut their damn gubmint benefits. Let them scrounge like the rest of us. Let them work for minimum wage. No insurance.

Mrs. Pelosi is arguably the most powerful woman in American history. There have been female governors, secretaries of state and Supreme Court justices, but only one female Speaker.” – The Economist, March 2010
    SPEAKER PELOSI AND HOUSE DEMOCRATS PASSED OVER 230 KEY MEASURES – MORE THAN 70% WITH SIGNIFICANT BIPARTISAN SUPPORT
    The House had a quick, successful start (“Six for ’06” Agenda) and continued to build on that record of accomplishment throughout the Congress. Listed are selected highlights of the legislation signed into law:
    INNOVATION AND JOBS
    COMPREHENSIVE ENERGY LEGISLATION, which raised vehicle fuel efficiency standards (35 mpg by the year 2020) for the first time in 32 years, and making an historic commitment to American homegrown biofuels.
    TAX INCENTIVES FOR CLEAN RENEWABLE ENERGY that helped create or save over 500,000 jobs.
    COMPETES ACT promoted high‐tech jobs, expanded math and science education, and boosted research and innovation.
    ECONOMIC RECOVERY AND STIMULUS PACKAGEwith Recovery Rebates for 130 million American middle class families to provide some help during difficult economic period.
    EDUCATION
    LARGEST EXPANSION OF COLLEGE AID IN SIX DECADES, cutting loan rates in half and increasing Pell Grants.
    NEW GI BILLto provide free college education to veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan.
    HEAD START REAUTHORIZATION, first reform and expansion in 10 years.
    FAIRNESS
    MINIMUM WAGE INCREASE,first in 10 years, a $4,400 raise for 13 million Americans.
    ECONOMIC RESCUSE LEGISLATION to protect Main Street from the crisis on Wall Street.
    ALTERNATIVE MINIMUM TAX REFORM protected 25 million middle‐class families from paying the AMT.
    MENTAL HEALTH PARITY to end coverage discrimination against patients seeking treatment for mental illnesses.
    LANDMARK LOBBY AND ETHICS REFORM, including creating of an outside, independent ethics panel.
    NATIONAL SECURITY
    ENACTED 9/11 COMMISSION RECOMMENDATIONS to strengthen homeland security.
    LARGEST INVESTMENT IN VETERANS’ HEATH CAREin the 77‐year history of the VA.
    HOUSE ACTIONS BLOCKED BY THE PRESIDENT
    MANY MAJOR INITIATIVES PASSED BY THE HOUSE WERE BLOCKED BY PRESIDENT BUSH’S VETOES (11), VETO THREATS (64), OR AN HISTORIC LEVEL OF FILIBUSTERS BY SENATE REPUBLICANS
    Among the bills passed by the House that were blocked by the President’s veto or obstruction by Republicans in the Senate were:

• Responsible redeployment of U.S. troops from Iraq
    • Children’s health insurance for 10 million children
    • Fall Economic Recovery and Stimulus Effort to create jobs, build essential infrastructure, help states meet soaring health care costs, expand emergency food programs, and extend
    • Unemployment Insurance benefits
    • Expansion of life‐saving Stem Cell Research
    • Giving Medicare the authority to negotiate with drug companies for lower prices, saving seniors hundreds of dollars a year
    • Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act to ensure women are paid equal pay for equal work
    • Curbing excessive oil speculation
    • Employee Free Choice Act to restore workers’ rights by removing obstacles that prevent workersfrom choosing whether or not they want to form or join a union

Term limits for all of them. Two years. No chance for re election after that. Cut their damn gubmint benefits. Let them scrounge like the rest of us. Let them work for minimum wage. No insurance.
    We have term limits. They're called elections.

Jeff C

Quote Originally Posted by leikec View Post
    We have term limits. They're called elections.

Jeff C
    Elections are bought and played for by whoever has the most money. Sorry you don't know about that. The whole process is screwed and scewed for the benefit of those of you that are wealthy.

Off the top of my head is hardly fair, I am not anywhere near California..

One of the biggest jobs the Speaker of the House has is to unite the differing factions towards or against the bills that come to the floor. She had a LOT to do with the ACA getting passed. She also shepherded in over 200 bills that would have helped the middle class that never saw the floor on the Senate. Her biggest failure was not bring a bill to reform the taxes to the floor before the mid-terms. If she had, things might have been a lot different.

-Dalai Lama

I don't buy it. The problem with the ACA negotiations wasn't Pelosi, it was McConnell. Whoever the Democrats put in a position of power, Republicans will attack. Should Democrats jettison their leaders because of Republican character assassination?

Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    I don't buy it. The problem with the ACA negotiations wasn't Pelosi, it was McConnell. Whoever the Democrats put in a position of power, Republicans will attack. Should Democrats jettison their leaders because of Republican character assassination?
    Yes, the Republicans attacked hard, and unfairly.

Pelosi and Reid failed to manage the process. Obama was foolish to cede them control over pace and tempo and content. Previous Speakers of the House would not have allowed the process chaos that Pelosi in particular created. All other things aside, she did not distinguish herself as a strong leader.

The House will go Democratic. The Senate will almost certainly stay Republican. The Speaker of the House will be the leader of all opposition to President Trump. The Democrats need a cool-headed, reputation unimpaired, methodically agenda-managing badass in the Sepaker's chair. I personally don't see those characteristics in Congresswoman Pelosi.

I still blame Lieberman for monkeywrenching the ACA. Insurance whore.
    No adversary is worse than bad advice.

Yes, the Republicans attacked hard, and unfairly.

Pelosi and Reid failed to manage the process. Obama was foolish to cede them control over pace and tempo and content. Previous Speakers of the House would not have allowed the process chaos that Pelosi in particular created. All other things aside, she did not distinguish herself as a strong leader.

The House will go Democratic. The Senate will almost certainly stay Republican. The Speaker of the House will be the leader of all opposition to President Trump. The Democrats need a cool-headed, reputation unimpaired, methodically agenda-managing badass in the Sepaker's chair. I personally don't see those characteristics in Congresswoman Pelosi.
    Reputation unimpaired? That will only last until they get power, then the attacks will start.

That's where the "badass" part comes in.