Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trying out my new camera

Default Re: Trying out my new camera

yup that one works
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Thanks Paul, I will do as you suggest. In the meantime I'll try a couple more re-sized down to half just to see.

Here and there there are clusters of these giant daisies or dandelions or whatever they are. You there Donn? I meant to bring a couple home and see how they'd do in the improved conditions of our garden, something I've done with wild onions and some really nice yellow iris, both of which flourished, but I forgot.

Panasonic FZ300 camping 2018 045.jpg

Panasonic FZ300 camping 2018 046.jpg

They do upload much more quickly at half the height by half the width, which means 1/4 the size I suppose.

Are they working for everybody else?

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie 2 View Post
    Great....I love seeing photos of places it is highly unlikely I will ever visit.
    When I post photos I always (edit-resize-save as) the photo I am about to post but always retain the original as is with it's original name.
    Otherwise they are too big, especially with these modern high pixel cameras.
    Keep them coming....last years trip too.
    It appears that you were the first to spot the problem Robbie. Thank you for that. I'd have followed your advice but I just didn't know what you were talking about. Kind of a Luddite.

On the originals I can zoom the heck out of them and still have great resolution. The same is true even at 1/4 size. Great camera, for sure. I guess there was just too much info.

Now if I could just find a way to re-size the whole new folder all at once. Dream on, Gibby.
    Last edited by Gib Etheridge; 08-11-2018 at 01:03 AM.

I like this spot under the trees. Nice view and nice comfy moss to lay back on.

Panasonic FZ300 camping 2018 052.jpg

Here's another natural knee for you. Lotta breasthooks in there. Red cedar.

Panasonic FZ300 camping 2018 053.jpg

Nothing like the wall tent I used last summer. It's crowded in there. Trying to get in and out without getting muscle cramps in my legs was a challenge. Ever get them in the muscles of the inner thigh? Hard to stretch out. Getting old I guess.

Panasonic FZ300 camping 2018 055.jpg
    Last edited by Gib Etheridge; 08-12-2018 at 02:22 PM.

Another nice view. Evocative, for me anyway.

Panasonic FZ300 camping 2018 057.jpg

I think this is a wild variety of sedum. The colors fit in very nicely with the surroundings.

Panasonic FZ300 camping 2018 059.jpg

More sedum.

Nikon Summer 2017 250.jpg

Sorry, that one is from last year, I couldn't resist. You must agree though, the colors go together very well.

Bedtime now, need my sleep. A friend is coming over early tomorrow to have me help him resaw some 2x10 cedar on the bandsaw. I'm just a guy who cain't say no.
    Last edited by Gib Etheridge; 08-11-2018 at 01:52 AM.

Mr E - would you have a link to your earlier Romulus and Remus thread ? I can't find it anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Etheridge View Post
    There are enough lumber grade logs that got away from booms before they started hauling on barges to rebuild half of Canada, and then there's all of the pulp grade. Still, no one salvages any appreciable amount of it and they just keep on clear cutting. Waste is a sin.

Here's a hemlock log about 36" diameter and 33 feet long, straight with no twist and very little taper and very tight grained. Kiln dried and finished s4s the lumber, which is an excellent interior finish material, would go for a premium. Over the years the winter storms will reduce it to splinters.

Attachment 20848

Excellent photos ! Really, thanks for posting them.

I'm amazed that no one is milling these logs where they lie with a mobile rig !
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by on the border View Post
    Mr E - would you have a link to your earlier Romulus and Remus thread ? I can't find it anymore
    There was no previous thread, I haven't taken the time yet. One of these days though...

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Excellent photos ! Really, thanks for posting them.

I'm amazed that no one is milling these logs where they lie with a mobile rig !
    If I were to do that I would want a big barge with a crane or excavator and a mill on it, or better yet just haul the logs to a land based mill. The sawdust would have to be contained. One can get a log salvage license here, but the regulations are extremely restrictive so few do.

It looks like all of the attachments are being inserted now. Is anyone having a problem viewing them?

looking good here
    glad you sorted that out

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    looking good here
    glad you sorted that out
    Sometimes I surprise myself, sometimes even in a positive way.

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

It appears that you were the first to spot the problem Robbie. Thank you for that. I'd have followed your advice but I just didn't know what you were talking about. Kind of a Luddite.

On the originals I can zoom the heck out of them and still have great resolution. The same is true even at 1/4 size. Great camera, for sure. I guess there was just too much info.

Now if I could just find a way to re-size the whole new folder all at once.
    Dream on, Gibby.
    Download a copy of IrfanView. It is free and will do batch editing. https://www.irfanview.com/

I thought I'd try photographing a fast moving subject. It took a few tries, they're hard to find on the view finder, but here's one. It came out surprisingly clear. First I had to find it, then stay with it for a moment while the camera focused, then press the shutter release. The camera has the ability to do burst photos, several consecutively once the release is pressed. That would have been the better approach, some of the shots would probably have been better, but I'm just learning.

Panasonic FZ300 camping 2018 060.jpg

More eagles later.

Here we have some low cloud over a rugged shoreline as I motor past headed north. When the 20 foot swells smash into those caves they must make a very loud booming noise. I've never been in this area when that was happening, and that's probably a good thing since the 20 foot swells are usually accompanied by high winds. My little 14 foot "alumy" wouldn't last long against the rocks.

Panasonic FZ300 camping 2018 062.jpg

Panasonic FZ300 camping 2018 063.jpg

Panasonic FZ300 camping 2018 064.jpg

Trees that are subject to the full force of the elements all year long. I bet the growth rings are impossible to count without magnification.

Panasonic FZ300 camping 2018 065.jpg

I went to where I spent so much time with the wolf pups last summer. There was no sign of them, and when I saw this nice little girl there I knew I wouldn't see them here again right away. She wouldn't be there if they were about. Wolves favorite meal is venison.

She was well aware of my presence. I just stayed back and used the full optical zoom, 24:1.

She was eating the lichen off of the dead tree, processing it then redepositing it for consumption by new growth. Lichen is a staple of their diet. I have read that that's why clear cutting is not conducive to deer populations. Even though it provides lots of browse from the new growth during the summer there is none of the lichen that grows on old growth for them to eat in the winter. Starving to death in the wet cold doesn't sound like much fun.

She's a healthy looking one, as are all of them I've seen in this area.

Panasonic FZ300 camping 2018 066.jpg

Panasonic FZ300 camping 2018 068.jpg

Panasonic FZ300 camping 2018 069.jpg

Panasonic FZ300 camping 2018 071.jpg
    Last edited by Gib Etheridge; 08-11-2018 at 12:42 PM.

oh ****, back to attachments

These 3 were much more beautiful to the naked eye than the camera was able to capture, or should I say than I was able to capture using the camera.. I'll post them anyway.

Panasonic FZ300 camping 2018 072.jpg

Panasonic FZ300 camping 2018 073.jpg

Panasonic FZ300 camping 2018 074.jpg

Attachment 20960
    Last edited by Gib Etheridge; 08-15-2018 at 11:10 AM.

The forum keeps telling me that I'm only allowed to post at most 5 attachments per post, won't even accept one. I must have tired it out, will give it a break.
    Last edited by Gib Etheridge; 08-11-2018 at 11:49 AM.

I see that now Paul. These were all re-sized. I'll see if Scott can help.

Sent.

Beautiful!

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

After giving it a break I went back and re-loaded #51. It seems to be OK now, but I'm leaving #53 for Scott to see. He's probably pretty busy, might be a while.
    Last edited by Gib Etheridge; 08-11-2018 at 07:18 PM.

Now if I could just find a way to re-size the whole new folder all at once. Dream on, Gibby.
    Yes....I haven't figured that one out yet either.
    Have to choose and edit each photo one at a time.
    Sometimes it takes literally hours to sort out what I want.
    I once thought I was wrong, but I was wrong, I wasn't wrong.

Sometimes it takes literally hours to sort out what I want.
    With film, it takes a long time to compose and get the one shot. Digital is so much faster ! You can take five or six ! then choose and edit and retouch and color correct

Another vote for Irfanview tho - it's not as good for minute adjustments as Photoshop but way faster and easier and better organized for basic operations.

There was no previous thread, I haven't taken the time yet. One of these days though...
    Thank you. I could swear you wrote something tho, which had me fascinated for hours. Don't tell me where it is, the whole Sunday will be gone. Again

Thank you. I could swear you wrote something tho, which had me fascinated for hours. Don't tell me where it is, the whole Sunday will be gone. Again
    Perhaps you mean this one? I've posted the odd photo, but this is the only anecdote I can remember posting.

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...try-Experience

If I were to do that I would want a big barge with a crane or excavator and a mill on it, or better yet just haul the logs to a land based mill. The sawdust would have to be contained. One can get a log salvage license here, but the regulations are extremely restrictive so few do.
    The logs obviously float so rolling them into the water and towing them to a place where they can be conveniently craned out would seem to be a good idea.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

[QUOTE=on the border;5646883]With film, it takes a long time to compose and get the one shot. Digital is so much faster ! You can take five or six ! then choose and edit and retouch and color correct

Another vote for Irfanview tho - it's not as good for minute adjustments as Photoshop but way faster and easier and better organized for basic operations.

Thanks for that...but I never Photoshop , retouch or color correct photos I take.
    I prefer to look carefully, compose and focus on what I wish to show.
    With digital, I do take a lot more photos then I used to in the old film days though.
    I once thought I was wrong, but I was wrong, I wasn't wrong.

I never Photoshop , retouch or color correct photos I take.
    You almost have to

The whole color thing on digitals is so complicated and unreliable. You can leave the photo the way it is, but be aware that it will look different to everyone who sees it. Monitors are all different, operating systems are all different, it's a mess. My main monitor is color-corrected and gamma-adjusted and matched to the printer and views perfect for me but when I send the photos to other people, not the same. Not unless they have my exact setup, anyhow

So I adjust my stuff to look best sort-of halfway between Windows and Mac even tho that isn't really right, so that the most people get closest to what I want.

Also, the cameras themselves don't have flat response curves and unless you shoot raw, their internal software "adjusts" the photos for you. Canon in particular "glamorizes" photos.

You shouldn't be ashamed to adjust the colors. They aren't real even coming straight out of the camera.

So I adjust my stuff to look best sort-of halfway between Windows and Mac even tho that isn't really right, so that the most people get closest to what I want.
    thanks for the extra effort
    no really

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    The logs obviously float so rolling them into the water and towing them to a place where they can be conveniently craned out would seem to be a good idea.
    Regulations specify only certain places where the logs can be sold and those places are very few and far between. It's expensive to haul a boom, and when you get there you're only going to get 1/2 of market value for even the very best of what you bring in and much less for the lesser grades. So, the correct approach would be to saw them yourself, right? Sorry, that's forbidden. The logging companies have a choke hold on the province. No surprise.

It's not even legal to go out and get just one for personal use, be it for lumber, shakes or firewood, although I've done a whole lot of that and never been bothered, or is it simply that I've never been caught. If there were licensed salvagers around they would turn me in, but like I said, there are none, and here on the inside pretty much everything is beach worn and non-marketable anyway.

Even then it doesn't always work out. My neighbor found some nice cedar for splitting out pickets. He cut it to length, loaded it into is boat then park rangers came along and made him put it back on the beach where it will eventually disintegrate while the clear cutting continues. Waste is a sin.

To paraphrase Ian McAllister, "The province has done an abysmal job of protecting the coastal environment."
    Last edited by Gib Etheridge; 08-12-2018 at 02:31 PM.

Gil, your photos are amazing. A quick question. Is your laptop a PC? I have a similar camera earlier model-the Z200) and for the life of me I canít xfer my pics onto Apple products. Any suggestions?
    Paul

Thank you. I wasn't trying for beautiful or amazing, just recording what turned me on. There will be lots more if we can figure out the attachments thing, and indeed I do think a few are exceptional. Beginner's luck, plus taking lots of shots then eliminating 2/3 of them. Yay digital! I emailed Scott, twice now, but it's the weekend. We'll see.

Yes, a desktop PC.

I tried to upload from the FZ300 to the computer with a USB cable, or is it HDMI, I don't know the difference. Nothing. What I had to do was plug the SD card into the PC, then it was easy. I understand from Kerrisdale Camera (where I bought it) that that is the trend with the new cameras so may well be the case for you.
    Last edited by Gib Etheridge; 08-12-2018 at 01:36 PM.

Thanks Gib. I’ve got an old PC that’s been in storage. I’ll see if that will do the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    thanks for the extra effort
    no really
    I don't know if you are being sarcastic or not but ... I don't understand a lot of people who do work for the internet. If you want to communicate something, then make it suit the people you are trying to reach. Telling them "Download this viewer ! It's free !" is bee ess. Your audience shouldn't have to do anything special.