Page 1 of 5 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Trying out my new camera

Default Trying out my new camera

Last summer when I spent 3 months living with the wolves I found that my Nikon D300S with a Sigma 150/500 and a Nikor 50/200 lenses was just too heavy and bulky, especially with the Manfroto tripod attached, to be hauling around in rocky terrain. It was also difficult and often impossible to get it set up for the spontaneous shots that presented themselves so often. On top of that the Sigma lens said on the box not to let it get wet since the moisture damage would cost more to repair than a new lens, not great news, the northwest coast of Vancouver Island is a damp place at times.

This year I could only get away for 8 days and I wanted to be better equipped so I traded all of that stuff and $100 in for a Panasonic DMC FZ300 with a Leica 25/600 lens and 3 batteries and 3 SD cards. It's much smaller, it just hangs around my neck and fits easily and comfortably under my coat where it is easily accessible and is protected from banging on rocks. It's splash and dust proof and drop proof and has 2.4 times the optical zoom capability, which can also be digitally increased to 4.7 times what I had with the big Sigma. It has a much better auto focus and has incredible image stabilization, which is just what my shaky hands need, so much better in fact that I never even used the tripod. Also, it's altogether easier to use while sacrificing nothing that I, the unsophisticated photographer, could use with the Nikon etc.

https://www.panasonic.com/ca/consume...dmc-fz300.html

It also takes videos, of course.

I have about 230 photos to share here. I'll post a few every day and will be pleased to answer any questions as they come up, and comments are welcome. I've hijacked enough threads that I will have no objection to anything anyone wants to add so long as it's not political. A lot of the shots are probably only interesting to me. I love the area so much that really any photo feels good, but I'll post them all as if they were interesting to everyone.

The area this year is Kyuquot sound, you can find it on Google earth.

So, to start off here's a not great shot, but it was the first and a bit unusual since while I know they swim all of the time I've never seen a bear swimming before so here it is. I saw 2 swimming on this trip but didn't get a shot of the second one because the camera was in a bucket and by the time I got it out the bear was ashore and into the woods. No zoom here, he was just as close as it looks.

Panasonic FZ300 camping 2018 001.jpg

Not all of the photos will have a caption. Here are a couple more that I like.

Panasonic FZ300 camping 2018 009.jpg

Panasonic FZ300 camping 2018 006.jpg
    Last edited by Gib Etheridge; 08-10-2018 at 01:47 AM.

Default Re: Trying out my new camera

Super.

These are BEAUTIFUL pictures.
    Choose wisely -Treat kindly...

A secret to a good marriage is to have a quick mind and a slow mouth...

S/V ORCA 38' Herreshoff Ketch

Glorious terrain.
    Creationists aren't mad - they're possessed of demons.

Plenty of firewood.

Quote Originally Posted by Spin_Drift View Post
    These are BEAUTIFUL pictures.
    Thank you Spinner. It's easy when everything one looks at is beautiful and the camera does all of the work.

Quote Originally Posted by P.I. Stazzer-Newt View Post
    Glorious terrain.
    Lots more to come, and a lot more rugged.

Quote Originally Posted by birlinn View Post
    Plenty of firewood.
    There are enough lumber grade logs that got away from booms before they started hauling on barges to rebuild half of Canada, and then there's all of the pulp grade. Still, no one salvages any appreciable amount of it and they just keep on clear cutting. Waste is a sin.

Here's a hemlock log about 36" diameter and 33 feet long, straight with no twist and very little taper and very tight grained. Kiln dried and finished s4s the lumber, which is an excellent interior finish material, would go for a premium. Over the years the winter storms will reduce it to splinters.

Panasonic FZ300 camping 2018 021.jpg
    Last edited by Gib Etheridge; 08-10-2018 at 03:19 PM.

Here's a bit more driftwood. With simple hand tools it would be easy to build a nice little cabin. Notice the natural knee in the background, a good stem or some frames perhaps.

Panasonic FZ300 camping 2018 024.jpg

Sheesh, it takes 70 seconds to upload one of these photos from my computer to here. That must be due to the high resolution settings I specified when taking them. Well, I've got time, and they don't all have to be done in one day. I'm getting a certain amount of inspiration from Peter's small boat thread.

I thought that if one were to flatten the top of this and put 3 legs under it it would make a beautiful character table of some sort.

Panasonic FZ300 camping 2018 025.jpg

A look into the woods just above this beach. These are Sitka Spruce. Most of the trees in these parts are Sitka Spruce, Western Red Cedar, Hemlock and Douglas Fir.

Panasonic FZ300 camping 2018 029.jpg

Doug fir on the wet coast? I thought they preferred the dry side of the Island?

Here's one that would have come down one of the many rivers, washed down after the bank caved in during the spring melt runoff.

Panasonic FZ300 camping 2018 030.jpg

Attachment 20852

This is a good place to lie in waiting while photographing wolves. It's a good place to get out of the rain as well, and always cool and shady. Note the massive spruce knee.

Panasonic FZ300 camping 2018 032.jpg

Attachment 20853

Roots make very tough frames, etc. Consider the small sizes of the spruce roots in a Guide Boat.

Panasonic FZ300 camping 2018 033.jpg

Attachment 20854
    Last edited by Gib Etheridge; 08-10-2018 at 05:46 PM.

none of these images in this post are coming through
    Quote Originally Posted by Gib Etheridge View Post
    Here's one that would have come down one of the many rivers, washed down after the bank caved in during the spring melt runoff.

Attachment 20852

This is a good place to lie in waiting while photographing wolves. It's a good place to get out of the rain as well, and always cool and shady. Note the massive spruce knee.

Attachment 20853

Roots make very tough frames, etc. Consider the small sizes of the spruce roots in a Guide Boat.

Attachment 20854
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Wow

simply, Wow

I ate a lot of thimble berries last week.

Panasonic FZ300 camping 2018 034.jpg

Attachment 20855

Salal too. I've always liked salal berries but never ate too many because they are so well attached and soft so when one picks them they mush. Then one day I watched a bear eating them. He would pull the berry cluster into has mouth and pull his head back stripping the berries into his mouth, just as I've seen elk stripping the leaves off of branches. I tried that and found that I was able to eat large quantities in a very short while. This kept me regular, to say the least. Too much info, I know. When harvesting this way one gets some stems along with the berries, but they're soft and easily chewed.

Panasonic FZ300 camping 2018 035.jpg

Attachment 20856
    Last edited by Gib Etheridge; 08-10-2018 at 05:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by robm View Post
    Doug fir on the wet coast? I thought they preferred the dry side of the Island?
    They do, but there are a few. The occasional one is quite large, 24" diameter is not uncommon.
    Last edited by Gib Etheridge; 08-10-2018 at 05:46 PM.

up through post #10 i'm getting inserted images in each of your posts

since then i'm getting links to attachments but when i click on them they don't open

here's a test from my laptop in chrome, an image from your first post to this thread which i've saved to my desktop

Panasonic FZ300 camping 2018 006.jpg
    Last edited by Paul Pless; 08-10-2018 at 04:48 PM.

The ones I can see are great. The others, after #10, yield this message:

Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

Hope the voyage is a long one.
    May there be many a summer morning when,
    with what pleasure, what joy,
    you come into harbors seen for the first time...

Ithaka, by Cavafy
    (Keeley - Sherrard translation)

Hang on, you spent 3 months living with Wolves, and you want to talk about your camera and upload speeds?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Hang on, you spent 3 months living with Wolves, and you want to talk about your camera and upload speeds?
    That was last summer Phil. I still haven't gotten around to posting that trip. 630 photos or so, big job, and made bigger because I want to crop and zoom some of them and don't know how. What I'm posting now is just a short camping trip from last week, no cropping or zooming, just what I took and as I took it.

And so far as the invalid(?) posts go I'm going to try deleting back to 10 and try again. Here goes.
    Last edited by Gib Etheridge; 08-11-2018 at 12:51 AM.

OK Paul, are 12 and 15 working now? I found that if I click on edit the new editing window shows the text but not the attachments so I just add the photos and it appears to work.

Sharpie?

Anybody?

Speaking of being regular, salal based bear (and human ) poo comes out a lot like purple mud. I don't have any pics of either, and I'm truly sorry , but here's the most solid bear scat I've ever seen, and I've dissected perhaps 100 over the years looking for what they've been eating. This one has thimble berry seeds and other plant matter. They spend a lot of time at the estuaries eating grass and sedge,

Panasonic FZ300 camping 2018 105.jpg

and here's one with some small beach crab remnants. Could be the same bear. I've watched them spend hours on the beach turning over rocks weighing up to about 150 pounds with one paw and licking up the beach crabs that get exposed. It seems counter intuitive to think of a 400 pound bear eating little crabs that only weigh a few grams, but they do a lot of that, as do the wolves. I've found scat from both that is almost entirely beach crab shells, although the wolves seem to do a better job of digesting the shells. Strong stomach acid I guess.

Panasonic FZ300 camping 2018 113.jpg

If anyone wants to use either of these as desktop please help yourself.
    Last edited by Gib Etheridge; 08-11-2018 at 12:53 AM.

OK Paul, are 12 and 15 working now? I found that if I click on edit the new editing window shows the text but not the attachments so I just add the photos and it appears to work.
    yup they do appear to be there in both post #12 and post #15

fascinating look into your world
    i still can't get over all the drift wood!

Here are 2 of Angelica, which the natives used to eat a lot of.

Panasonic FZ300 camping 2018 036.jpg

Panasonic FZ300 camping 2018 037.jpg
    Last edited by Gib Etheridge; 08-10-2018 at 09:29 PM.

I'm going to go water the garden while I wait to hear if these attachments are coming thru.

Here are 3 of AngelicaAttachment 20876
    negatory

no pics

Great....I love seeing photos of places it is highly unlikely I will ever visit.
    When I post photos I always (edit-resize-save as) the photo I am about to post but always retain the original as is with it's original name.
    Otherwise they are too big, especially with these modern high pixel cameras.
    Keep them coming....last years trip too.
    Last edited by Robbie 2; 08-10-2018 at 07:41 PM.
    I once thought I was wrong, but I was wrong, I wasn't wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    negatory

no pics
    I clicked on edit and it showed the photos so I clicked on save and that seems to have rescued it. This looks like it's going to be a challenge.

Life is tenuous out there. I'm always impressed with the way the plants and animals survive in such minimal conditions.

Panasonic FZ300 camping 2018 039.jpg

Maybe if I limit the posts to one photo each things will work out better.
    Last edited by Gib Etheridge; 08-10-2018 at 09:27 PM.

The trees on the ocean side of an island will often be smaller than those on the lee side. Here's the windward side. The wind here is no joke in the winter, with gusts up to 160 Km/H. That's about 100 MPH.

Panasonic FZ300 camping 2018 040.jpg
    Last edited by Gib Etheridge; 08-11-2018 at 12:56 AM.

Wind damage. That spruce is 4 feet in diameter at the butt. Lotta masts in there.

Panasonic FZ300 camping 2018 041.jpg
    Last edited by Gib Etheridge; 08-11-2018 at 12:58 AM.

Kind of a moody place. Not gloomy, just penetrating and intense, or something like that. I like it. I'm not always too good with the words, but look at how dark those woods are. It's moving.

Panasonic FZ300 camping 2018 042.jpg
    Last edited by Gib Etheridge; 08-11-2018 at 12:59 AM.

Not much sustenance to had from whatever soil is in those cracks in the rock, but hey, we'll just try harder!

Panasonic FZ300 camping 2018 039.jpg
    Last edited by Gib Etheridge; 08-11-2018 at 01:00 AM.

OK, Ive copied and pasted the entire folder into a new folder where I have figured out how to resize down from 4000 by 3000 to half that but still at 180 DPI.

Lets see what happens when I post one of those.

Panasonic FZ300 camping 2018 001.jpg