Thread: Did I Mention Boat Songs?

Default Did I Mention Boat Songs?

This song is about some guy whose wife bought him a full ride to the WoodenBoat School for a week.

When he got home, she'd moved out and filed for divorce.

Rattling the teacups.

Default Re: Did I Mention Boat Songs?

Then there's this:

Nothin' is forever, say the old men in the shipyards.

Turnin' trees into shrimp boats, hell I guess they oughtta know!

Rattling the teacups.

This song's from an album i co produced, recorded and mixed in 95. The band from Eden, New South Wales where tuna fishermen in the 70' and had a band, The Killers of Eden back in the 70's. At a family wedding,I met Ralphy who wrote and sang the song below. We jammed on a few songs and when i found out their music had never been recorded i pushed him to get it done. A few months later the band had reformed for the recording of a CD of their songs. Real authentic contemporary folk music. If you have never heard the story of Tom and the Killer Wales of Eden, it's well worth checking out.
    If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question

....and another, tells the story of a local landmark from the perspective of a fisherman.

Quote Originally Posted by Hallam View Post
    If you have never heard the story of Tom and the Killer Wales of Eden, it's well worth checking out.
    Tell it.
    He's a Mexican. -- Donald Trump.
    America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama. -- Governor Chris Christie (R) New Jersey
    It wasn't racism, it was an attack on Christianity. -- Fox News
    Crying white mothers are ratings gold. -- National Rifle Association

Quote Originally Posted by Osborne Russell View Post
    Tell it.
    I'll let Brett Ralph introduce you to the story........

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killer...den,_Australia

The killers of Eden or Twofold Bay killers[1] were a group of killer whales (Orcinus orca) known for their co-operation with human hunters of cetacean species. They were seen near the port of Eden in southeastern Australia between 1840 and 1930. A pod of killer whales, which included amongst its members a distinctive male called Old Tom, would assist whalers in hunting baleen whales.[2] The killer whales would find target whales, shepherd them into Twofold Bay, and then alert the whalers to their presence and often help to kill the whales

Indigenous Australians[edit]

The local indigenous people, the Yuin tribe, believed the killer whales to be their totem animal and reincarnations of their ancestors.[2][1] Yuin elder Guboo Ted Thomas heard stories of his grandfather riding on the backs of killer whales. Thomas and his daughter Lynne describe Yuin cooperating with dolphins (cetaceans, like killer whales) to drive fish to shore where they could be speared.[1] Local historian Barry Smith speculates that the black-and-white ceremonial dress of Koori warriors is based on the killer whale.[3]
    Documentarian Greg McKee believes that Aboriginal Australians cooperated with whales for at least 10,000 years.[4]
    Davidson whalers and "the law of the tongue"[edit]

Old Tom's role was commonly to alert the human whalers to the presence of a baleen whale in the bay by breaching or tailslapping at the mouth of the Kiah River, which is one of the smallest rivers, where the Davidson family had their tiny cottages. This role endeared him to the whalers and led to the idea that he was “leader of the pack,” although such a role was more likely taken by a female (as is typical among killer whales),[2] probably the whale known as Stranger.
    After the harpooning, some of the killer whales would even grab the ropes in their teeth and aid the whalers in hauling. The skeleton of Old Tom is on display at the Eden Killer Whale Museum, and significant wear marks still exist on his teeth from repeatedly grabbing fast-moving ropes.[2]
    In return for their help, the whalers would anchor the carcass overnight[5] or leave it hitched to the boat[6] while the killer whales to eat the tongue and lips of the whale, then haul it ashore.[2][7] The arrangement is a rare example of mutualism between humans and killer whales.[2] The arrangement was called "the law of the tongue".[4] The killer whales would also feed on the many fish and birds that would show up to pick at the smaller scraps and runoff from the fishing.
    Many of the Eden killer whales were individually known and named, often after whalers who had died. Some of best known killer whales included Tom (who died 15 September 1930), Hooky, Humpy (died 1926/7), Cooper, Typee (died 1901), Jackson, Stranger, Big Ben, Young Ben, Kinscher (female), Jimmy, Sharkey, Charlie Adgery, Brierly, Albert, Youngster, Walker, Big Jack, Little Jack, Skinner and Montague.[8]
    End of whaling arrangement[edit]

In around 1923, retired pastoralist John Logan and third-generation whaler George Davidson went fishing on White Heather, Logan's motorised yacht, with Logan's daughter Margaret Brooks.[1] Old Tom forced a small whale to the surface, where Davidson harpooned it.[1] Because he wanted to get off the water before a storm arrived, Logan attempted to bring the carcass ashore without Old Tom eating the tongue and lips.[9] Old Tom apparently grabbed the tow rope in his mouth and lost some teeth in the struggle,[7] with Brooks recounting that Logan said "Oh God, what have I done?" when he realised that Old Tom had lost teeth.[1]
    When Old Tom's corpse washed ashore in 1930, the mouth had abscesses from missing teeth and he may have died of starvation.[7][9][1] His death was reported in the 18 September 1930 issue of The Sydney Morning Herald as "King of the Killers".[1]
    Killer whales became less common in the area after Old Tom died. One theory is that the rest of the pod was killed by Norwegian whalers in Jervis Bay, rather than being related to Old Tom's death.[9]
    Logan provided the premises for the Eden Killer Whale Museum, which still has Old Tom's skeleton, "partly out of guilt".[9][1]
    Three killer whale pods were observed in one week in 2010 - roughly on the 80th anniversary of Old Tom's death.[7]

Last edited by Hallam; 08-10-2018 at 12:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hallam View Post
    ....and another, tells the story of a local landmark from the perspective of a fisherman.

Great song.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Thumbs up Re: Did I Mention Boat Songs?

Keep calm, persistence beats resistance.

Cool Re: Did I Mention Boat Songs?

Cool Re: Did I Mention Boat Songs?

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

Ry Cooder, Ricky Skaggs, Sharon White - Take Me In Your Lifeboat

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

Lyle Lovett & His Large Band - If I Had A Boat

Let's switch over to a highbrow song:

"If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Skye Boat Song

Hope the voyage is a long one.
    May there be many a summer morning when,
    with what pleasure, what joy,
    you come into harbors seen for the first time...

Ithaka, by Cavafy
    (Keeley - Sherrard translation)

If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

T-Pain, how did this thread get this far without T-Pain

Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

I have always thought the chorus to the "Mingulay Boat Song" described tacking a dipping lug. Is there anyone with actual experience who can comment on this idea?

The Mingulay Boat Song was written by Hugh Roberton,a composer and choir director in Glasgow 25 years after all the inhabitants had left the island of Mingulay (a godforsaken little knob of rock at the south end of the Outer Hebrides). AFAIK, nobody from Mingulay ever sang it. And they spoke Gaelic anyway. Still a good song, although Richard Thompson's version is a bit lugubrious for my taste. It's one of my favorite songs to sing in the pub; see below. If any of you gentlemen ever manage to make it to St. Paul on the second Monday, come by the Dubliner on University Ave, and you can do the same.

(You can see me at about 4:35, large balding guy with a beard, plaid shirt.)

Last edited by Keith Wilson; 08-10-2018 at 03:53 PM.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

I was aware of the origin. But still, listen to the chorus: Let her go (the halyard), heave her head round to weather, now all together (on the halyard to get the sail up again). Just because it was written years too late, doesn't mean the composer didn't try to get it right. Or got close, by accident, perhaps!

Makes sense. They would traditionally have used dipping lugsails in that part of the world, right?

Oh, why not, one more from the Dubliner:

Last edited by Keith Wilson; 08-10-2018 at 04:08 PM.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Sea Pictures, Sir Edward Elgar. Dame Janet Baker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaV4eO4irUM

Quote Originally Posted by robm View Post
    I have always thought the chorus to the "Mingulay Boat Song" described tacking a dipping lug. Is there anyone with actual experience who can comment on this idea?
    Yep, probably a bit like this from the north Hebrides.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

I have put a dipping lateen on my sailing canoe, much more tractable than the original balanced lug on such a tender boat.

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    This song is about some guy whose wife bought him a full ride to the WoodenBoat School for a week.

When he got home, she'd moved out and filed for divorce.
    Really? I love the song, but I never heard the back story.