Thread: Poplar Marine????

Default Poplar Marine????

Why Not?????
    Strength to weight nothing beats it!
    Finally starting the build, Pacific Proa Make O'Break and why it's time for Poplar Marine.

Keep Shunting, Balkan Shipyards.

https://youtu.be/xfdOcfHE0bU

Default Re: Poplar Marine????

Why not? Rot prone.

Okoume, rot resistance: Rated as non-durable; poor insect resistance.

Black Poplar, rot resistance: Rated as non-durable, and also susceptible to insect attack.

Source: https://www.wood-database.com/wood-f...=P&fwp_paged=5

Worst possible wood for rot. In fact it is sold for 18 a tonne, for paper pulp and matches only in the UK. So given those uses....

Edit... Just to clarify, I am assuming you are talking about tree species Populus, which in the UK we call 'poplar', and not any other, which is often the case in the US.
    Last edited by lupussonic; 08-10-2018 at 07:19 AM.

I once made some shutters out of poplar with the same same thought. Why not?. I primed them, then painted with a good quality exterior enamel paint. They lasted about a month before the sun and rain destroyed them. Look.... warped, exploding shutters!!!. The wood was at a stable moisture content. Kiln dried. Made replacements out of Douglas fir. They are still there 5 years later and looking as good as day 1.

Edit: just noticed you are in Bulgaria. I have no idea if American poplar is the same as European poplar.

Well now would it not depend on where and how the poplar is used in a boat a house whatever. Its lack of "rot resistance" is but one characteristic that can be mitigated by protecting it from the elements as barrier coating, glassing, using where it would not be exposed to the elements. I laminated a combing for a 17' catboat, "Edith" Mystic Seaport plans, using two inner plys of poplar with white oak for the outer surfaces. The laminate was epoxy glued and am confident that the poplar will not suffer rot as it is not exposed to the elements. Poplar is readily available, cheap compared to other "boat building" wood, light in weight and easy to work with hand or power tools. In the right application, IMHO it is grossly underrated wood.

I would choose just about any other wood before poplar. It is great for secondary wood in furniture, but for a boat????,....no thank you.

Flo-mo (Lazy perfectionist), I couldn't put it better my self! Poplar is junk, and so is Okoume! Still the most widely used marine ply, Stamped BS1088 is Okoume!!! Go figure.....
    Good Job, nothing to add.

Aric, the Poplar here is Populus nigra (Black Poplar) it has very low rot resistance. Still, what you describe in your comment is not rot, it's wood movement, your shutters were solid wood, I believe... Wood moves, but well made plywood has little to no movement.

Seagull, Thanks for taking the time to explain what I did not. Poplar is the strongest per weight of all plywoods, with a proper water barrier, it will last. For small boats, kayaks, canoes and dinghies that are kept on the hard, under cover, they will probably out last their builders........ Extra strength, reduced weight, low cost and availability are only some of the side effects.....

The next Vid proves my point! The Poplar Ply in the clip has been outdoors for over 4 years. I said "No varnish inside, no nothing..." and so it is, the back side of that ply is completely bare, absolutely nothing on it, the front side has 3 coats of outdoor latex, that's all. Now, after 4 years of living out doors, mud, sun, snow and rain the ply is as good as new. I've been working with Poplar ply for 20 years, like all materials, it's up to the user to learn how and when to use them.....

The ply is only 4 mm thick, Made by Welde Austria, laminated with phenol formaldehyde to the highest standard! how do I know??? I went to the factory and asked.... Then, before building my first skiff, as the fire place blasts away in Balkan Shipyards during winter 2012, I boil tested a few off cuts for a whole week. A full week in water that reached boiling temperatures several times did absolutely nothing to them.

https://youtu.be/_Kwx8_whMeI

Keep shunting, Balkan Shipyards.

Sounds like there's Poplar and poplar. I doubt we can get high standard, waterproof glued poplar ply here in the States (although I haven't checked). That said, a friend of mine decked a quick stitch'n glue kayak with 3mm Baltic Birch over ten years ago and last time I saw it it seemed to be holding up just fine. Epoxy, thin glass an lots of varnish over the top to keep UV off and I'd say, "Go for it!" But I'd want pictues

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    Sounds like there's Poplar and poplar. I doubt we can get high standard, waterproof glued poplar ply here in the States (although I haven't checked). That said, a friend of mine decked a quick stitch'n glue kayak with 3mm Baltic Birch over ten years ago and last time I saw it it seemed to be holding up just fine. Epoxy, thin glass an lots of varnish over the top to keep UV off and I'd say, "Go for it!" But I'd want pictues

I'll do better! Here's a video.....

All Poplar! "Crystal Clear" the Mother ship of Balkan Shipyards, on her maiden sail.

https://youtu.be/4yAm2QgKc1c

Her rig proved to have a mind of it's self.... Shunting her schooner crab claw proved almost impossible... If I can get a Junk rig to work on my current build, I will put one on her next year. Still she's a cool boat, slices through waves like only an outrigger can. She was in the sea for 2 months, tied to a mooring buoy while testing till I gave up on her rig, had no problems with her ply. I agree that 2 months is not much, but then again, beaching an outrigger canoe is easy enough that such a boat could be kept dry most of the time....