Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: If you have friends/family in other countries.....

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Default Re: If you have friends/family in other countries.....

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    SV, if it wasn't so serious it would be funny, like one of those movies made in the 30's satirising dictators.
    ITIS serious.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Noyes View Post
    Awesome Steve! the Humble Brag, got to love it!

When a loud aircraft flies over just sort of quietly say sorry.

If you'r in France choose some random word and remark how unpleasant it sounds in the German or Russian dialect... and then say "Your Welcome."

the possibilities are endless!
    More gobbledygook from the noise one. I think he just posts to see himself post as usually, it's just garbage. What is the Russian or German dialect do you mean? Perhaps you mean accent!

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    Not to burst any bubbles, but I met both a Syrian and an Iraqi who both seriously did not like Obama. The whole ‘ugly America/US sucks’ is not a new phenomenon.

Haters gonna hate.
    Seriously Brian? Was that before or after the US completely f****d Iraq over?
    Every American I have ever met has been hospitable and generous with their time, but politics, foreign policy and attitudes around firearms are like the elephant in the room when it comes to conversation.
    But C'mon. Johnson Space Centre in Houston, awesome (OK, I'm a space geek, but anybody who isn't mind boggled by what is there has no imagination), the whole vibe in the French Quarter in New Orleans - the food, music and people. Lee G's Spotted Cat Music Club suggestion. Downtown Philadelphia, so much history. Flying from Philly back to Houston on a clear day with a good window seat, wow, there is just so much America down there.
    I know that is a tiny snapshot of a country, dictated by crazy work schedules, but without exception, every time I have visited your country I have found some really cool stuff in the few hours downtime I've had. Don't be defined by the Orange one .

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    How do you brag about America when you talk to them?
    Why would I take blame or credit for what the government does?

I have more important things to discuss with friends and family.
    Life is complex.

^tehe
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

If the US is so awful people are ashamed of it or feel the need to apologize for it, why don't they just get the Hell out?

There are plenty of people literally risking their lives, their children's lives, to get in here, people that would be happy to taste just a bit of what the spoiled, silly bunch here has enjoyed all these years.

If there is anything to be embarrassed about, anyone to apologise for, it is silly people that go on like this.

Brag was maybe a poor choice of word, but jeez Blooie, if a lefty furriner can find some great "selling points" for the US of A, in spite of some of its more asinine quirks, what is wrong with being enthusiastic about the good things? Anyone would think you're ashamed or something.

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post
    If the US is so awful people are ashamed of it or feel the need to apologize for it, why don't they just get the Hell out?

been waiting for it, there it is!

Few things disgust me more than hearing entitled and leisured liberals, nearly all of them white men, most of them among the most wealthy and secure people in the world, endlessly moaning on about how bad it really all is, and how they're embarrassed and ashamed.

What they should be embarrassed and ashamed about is their silly vanity, not their country.

that is some a-one virtue signalling you got going on there sb

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    that is some a-one virtue signalling you got going on there sb
    We've been though this, Paul. It can't be virtue signaling if the relevant audience is unlikely to agree with the sentiment or see it as correct and virtuous.

what, you don't think bobbys isn't lurking here right now?

or scot? you do know that scot's a neocon, right?

And there's always Putin, eh? Vlad may like wooden boats. Or one or another of SB's handlers ...
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Thanks for looking out for me, Paul. I appreciate it.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

I spent an evening a couple of weeks ago in the pub with 2 guys from Chicago. Politics came up, of course, in a low key kind of way.
    There were clearly embarrassed by Trump. Kinda like the mad uncle who has a particularly embarrassing tourretts compulsion.
    They didn’t apologise for him, and i would never have expected them to. Certainly proud of their heritage – but definitely ashamed of the idiot. Also perplexed that it could happen.

They knew next to nothing about Australian or European politics, closer to nothing, and their knowledge of US politics wasn’t particularly impressive either.
    They cringed when I told them I was paid to go to university and my healthcare was free. They were uncomfortable with that, it was like I’d farted or something.
    Guns didn't come up, too obvious, but the US prison population did.

Both university educated, well travelled, decent, funny, young men.
    They didn’t buy a round! Cultural faux pas.

I got a sense of hopelessness and powerlessness (disengagement) on things political and social.
    Philip K. Dick — 'Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away'.

There are plenty of people literally risking their lives, their children's lives, to get in here, people that would be happy to taste just a bit of what the spoiled, silly bunch here has enjoyed all these years.

If there is anything to be embarrassed about, anyone to apologise for, it is silly people that go on like this.
    Because in the next election or 2 we are going to take our country back from the nasty, vile people like you.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    I got a sense of hopelessness and powerlessness (disengagement) on things political and social.
    less than fifty percent of the eligible voters in the u.s. take part in our electoral processes

Not to burst any bubbles, but I met both a Syrian and an Iraqi who both seriously did not like Obama. The whole ‘ugly America/US sucks’ is not a new phenomenon.

Haters gonna hate.
    they found out he wasn't really a muslim from kenya???

or they didn't care for his withdrawal from military adventurism in the mideast?

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    There are outliers in every crowd...
    Even here, but they're pretty uncommon.

We had a really unprintable of a guy appointed by Trump as ambassador to New Zealand, the word around the place is that he no longer goes out to dinner as he's been refused service a number of times.
    Sad stuff, the previous ambassador was a good guy, worked hard to improve the relationship between our countries while the present unpleasant being has managed to offend a large number of people. Arrogance personified.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

They do, there have been more, several times more, American applicants for residency here in NZ than there were a year ago, and, from anecdotal evidence (the only kind available, there are no questions as to political affiliation on any of the application forms) a large proportion of those are wealthy republicans or, on the other hand, movie and pop stars.
    Quite a few of those have expressed their political views, and they're not liberals.
    Interesting though that they come to a country which by their standards is way out to the left with taxpayer funded retirement incomes, hospital care and such.

John Welsford

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    And people didn't like either Bush, or Clinton, or Reagan, etc. etc. I first heard the term "ugly American" in the 60s...
    I thought that the baseball cap, the Hawaiian shirt, shorts, big belly with the expensive camera resting on it and the loud mouth was a caricature until one day I was buttonholed by one just like that, wanted to know where I was travelling to from Fort Lauderdale airport. I told him I was heading to Birmingham England. I figured that I needed to add England so he'd understand that I wasnt travelling locally.
    I got a huge argument telling me that Birmingham was in Alabama, not England. I was tired, grumpy, had just flown in from Guadeloupe ( the island in the Caribbean) after spending two days and nights in an airport lounge sitting through a hurricane so made a point of telling him that Birmingham England was a city way before Columbus's grandparents met, and that Alabama was not on my bucket list.
    I thought for a few minutes that he was going to punch me, he was yelling so hard that a security guard came over and while the two were discussing the issues I quietly walked away and into the departure lounge so he couldn't follow.

Thankfully, people like that are rare.

I've many friends in the USA, good, decent people, and I admire much about the country, but what I'm watching makes me worry for their well being.

John

Quote Originally Posted by john welsford View Post
    and that Alabama was not on my bucket list
    surely absent from your 'bucket list' based solely upon ignorance of its many virtues. . .

^

For eight years all that came out of the gob of every single red here was how embarrassed they were by Obama.
    Last edited by Old Dryfoot; 08-09-2018 at 08:56 PM. Reason: speeling
    Nosce te ipsum

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Quote Originally Posted by john welsford View Post
    Even here, but they're pretty uncommon.

We had a really unprintable of a guy appointed by Trump as ambassador to New Zealand, the word around the place is that he no longer goes out to dinner as he's been refused service a number of times.
    Sad stuff, the previous ambassador was a good guy, worked hard to improve the relationship between our countries while the present unpleasant being has managed to offend a large number of people. Arrogance personified.

John Welsford
    The word Numpty was invented for people like him.
    A male ex-peace corps volunteer described a strained atmosphere developing at the party as the ambassador shouted at guests to be quiet and listen to him.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...to-new-zealand
    Philip K. Dick — 'Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away'.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    they found out he wasn't really a muslim from kenya???

or they didn't care for his withdrawal from military adventurism in the mideast?
    They both felt abandoned. One on the cusp of recovery, one on the cusp of dispair.

Bet you can guess which one is which.

But stop it now... my examples aren't good enough for some.
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

Few things disgust me more than hearing entitled and leisured liberals, nearly all of them white men, most of them among the most wealthy and secure people in the world, endlessly moaning on about how bad it really all is, and how they're embarrassed and ashamed.

What they should be embarrassed and ashamed about is their silly vanity, not their country.
    I am embarrassed by a president who want to force allegiance to the flag or anthem.
    How do we form a mutiny? Our new captain is navigating poorly.

I look at the various categories where we are world leaders

We owe more money
    We shoot more of our own
    We fail to insure all our citizens
    Percentage of population in prison

The point is I cannot seem to come up with a category where leading the world is a good thing.

We are obviously home to a great deal of racism and bigotry which Trump didn't cause, but he did let it out of the closet.
    How do we form a mutiny? Our new captain is navigating poorly.

A pointless, meaningless, vacuous post. Didn’t even address the OP.

On the contrary. That particular inanity is a product of which America should be thoroughly ashamed. Happily, and unlike many other American products, it has been markedly slow to catch on beyond the borders of its native land.
    "Mozart is the heart's touchstone" (Edwin Fischer)

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    I am embarrassed by a president who want to force allegiance to the flag or anthem.
    And ignores why they are doing so even though the reasons have been explained enough that even a five yr old can understand.

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

I don't brag, but I'm not ashamed about the fantastic things in the U.S.

My brother has lived in Japan since 1982, and my younger daughter lived in France for four years, recently returning. I get outside the U.S. a couple times a year. I find most people in most places see positives and negatives about their own countries, and very few people love their political leaders.

If an American wanted to brag, the list might include Google, Apple, Amazon, Tesla, Silicon Valley writ large, Boeing, Caterpillar, John Deere, the NBA, Hamilton!, Hollywood, Levi's, barbecue, pickup trucks, the Mayo Clinic, baseball, Jazz, Coke AND Pepsi, universities and college football, cowboys, and hip hop and rap music. All things which are known and sought world-wide. Add in epic scenery and lovely small towns, all the National Parks and the Constitution, and you've got pretty good bragging rights. Not saying our skies are bluer than anyone else's, but not a bad little country.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Ross View Post
    I don't brag, but I'm not ashamed about the fantastic things in the U.S.

My brother has lived in Japan since 1982, and my younger daughter lived in France for four years, recently returning. I get outside the U.S. a couple times a year. I find most people in most places see positives and negatives about their own countries, and very few people love their political leaders.

If an American wanted to brag, the list might include Google, Apple, Amazon, Tesla, Silicon Valley writ large, Boeing, Caterpillar, John Deere, the NBA, Hamilton!, Hollywood, Levi's, barbecue, pickup trucks, the Mayo Clinic, baseball, Jazz, Coke AND Pepsi, universities and college football, cowboys, and hip hop and rap music. All things which are known and sought world-wide. Add in epic scenery and lovely small towns, all the National Parks and the Constitution, and you've got pretty good bragging rights. Not saying our skies are bluer than anyone else's, but not a bad little country.
    It occurs to me that a lot of that stuff was dependant on British inventions.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    It occurs to me that a lot of that stuff was dependant on British inventions.
    Go Britain!

I've spent many happy hours in British museums of various stripes. A few years ago I spent a half day in the Scottish National Museum in Edinburgh. It was a treat to see the birthplace and nursery room of the Industrial Revolution. Man, to have lived in Scotland at the end of the 18th Century! What a scene.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Ross View Post
    Go Britain!

I've spent many happy hours in British museums of various stripes. A few years ago I spent a half day in the Scottish National Museum in Edinburgh. It was a treat to see the birthplace and nursery room of the Industrial Revolution. Man, to have lived in Scotland at the end of the 18th Century! What a scene.
    Did you time your visit for the striking of the clock?
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.