Thread: Jackets

Question Jackets

When I was much younger I always fancied getting a leather jacket.

Not a 'bomber' style jacket, but more of a regular sports jacket/blazer.

Then when I was able to afford one the interest had totally disappeared. Never wore one.

I did wear a sheepskin jacket for a few years when I lived and worked in colder climes. I definitely needed that one.

What unusual clothing item or hankering was yours in your 'younger days' ?
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

Default Re: Jackets

LeeStormRider.jpg

Just never got around to it...
    God is great, beer is good and people are crazy.

Billy Currington

i've had the same leather jacket for 25 years. my wife HATES IT.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

One like this guy is wearing, but without all the hardware over the breast pocket...

Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

What about a pea coat?
    The jackets you should be wearing this winter

pea coat.jpeg

THE PEA COAT: MAGEE FINTRA PEA COAT

For those in the know, the pea coat was once the garment of choice for seafaring gentleman looking to keep the wind chill and ocean spray off their necks.

But even on solid ground this style is a wardrobe staple.

Master of Donnegal tweed, Magee, adds its own twist in this navy hip-length offering that finds a happy medium between rugged naval look and tailored fit. magee1866.com

https://www.squaremile.com/style/bes...ckets-for-men/

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    One like this guy is wearing, but without all the hardware over the breast pocket...

Reminded me of the WALMART SENIOR GREETER:

Charley, a new retiree-greeter at Wal-Mart, just couldn’t seem to get to work on time.

Every day he was 5, 10, 15 minutes late. But he was a good worker, really tidy, clean-shaven,
    sharp-minded and a real credit to the company and obviously demonstrating their “older Person
    Friendly” policies.

One day the boss called him into the office for a talk. “Charley, I have to tell you, I like your work
    ethic, you do a bang-up job, but you’re being late so often is quite bothersome.”

“Yes, I know boss, and I am working on it.”

“Well good, you are a team player. That’s what I like to hear. It’s odd though your coming in late. I know you’re retired from the Armed Forces. What did they
    say if you came in late there?”

“They said, “Good morning, Admiral, how would you like your coffee, sir?”

Been there, done pea coats. Good, but not great for our kind of weather. Needs a water-resistant outer layer for our drizzly, wet-snow winters.

The coat in the photo I posted is that of a Canadian Merchant Marine Captain.

39-45 star, Atlantic star, Pacific star, Italy star? ,volunteer service medal, Canada medal. Someone had themselves a busy war.

Yes, I did notice that the fellow seemed to have gotten around for a few nasty years.

Mine has logged couple thousand hours.

The best statement I've seen from this latest carnage came from a student who lived through it -

"My generation will not allow this to continue!"

Remember voting age is 18. Read it and weep reds.

I wanted a pair of rainbow colored rain boots like my elder sister had.
    Ragnar B.

Sidenote: There used to be some sort on Naval District headquarters in the Seattle federal building. One day, as I was wearing my bus driver uniform, I saw 3 heavily striped gents on the sidewalk. I approached them and said something like "Excuse me, but I was in the Navy for four years and I never met an Admiral. Just wanted to say hello."
    Two just stood there dumfounded, but one thought that was the funniest thing he ever heard. He patted my shoulder and shook my hand.
    IMMIGRANTS BUILT AMERICA - IMMIGRANTS BUILD AMERICA

I have a leather jacket from when I was 21. It was big then, so still fits.

I always wanted a leather vest, but never bought one. In fact, I was shopping them recently, then went cold on the idea again.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Leather vest. Pea coat. I always thought the fighter pilot type flight suit would be good on a motorcycle.

After I got out of the air force, coming up on exactly thirty-eight years ago, while I was working odd jobs and going to school, I splurged and spent a cool hundred bucks on a mil spec A-2 jacket just like JoP's, from Sears mail order. Now it is the second oldest thing I still own. My hiking boots were a similar splurge, at a time when I was first divorced, older than the jacket by a couple of years, still using them occasionally. I didn't realize it was actually an official thing, but it is in the air force regs that the A-2 flight jacket is a uniform item and only gets worn by air crew on active flying status, and mostly that is officers, pilots, navigators.
    I don't care to know what the tough do when the going gets tough.

I am interested in what the enlightened do.

Quote Originally Posted by John of Phoenix View Post
    Mine has logged couple thousand hours.

JoP, I had one of those ( quite ratty by then) and one of our horses used to lay his head over my shoulder and follow me around the farm - evidently, he thought I was his best buddy or something .

I always wanted a leather bomber in my youth, couldn't afford one. When I got out of college and had money, I bought several over the years. An A-2 bomber, a navy issue one from goatskin, a retro styled one by Ralph Lauren (pre-war style with buttons). Very stylish all, but don't wear them much these days. These days in slightly chilly weather I like a wool blanket-lined denim trucker jacket or barn coat. In the wetter weather I love my Filson waxed-cotton coat, something that I also pined for over the years, never wanted to spend the big money after retiring, I was past my big spending, but then found one at Filson's garage sale years back, size large that had all the wax washed out and shrunk from large to medium, $44 including tax. I re-waxed it per Bob Smalser's recipe (minus the pine tar and orange oil) and it turned out marvelous. About fifteen years ago I also started collecting ex-military greatcoats, and when I want to look stylish in cold weather, I pull out one of those. My favorite is (IIRC) an ex-Canadian military, dark olive, back pleats and belt, shoulder epaulets, wide lapels, double breast, quite classic in style. Over a black crew neck and black or dark olive slacks, I'm almost dashing.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by FishoutaFlorida View Post
    LeeStormRider.jpg

Just never got around to it...
    Lee Storm Rider. Great jacket.
    Mine,from1989,is pretty ragged,but still usable for welding.
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

I always wanted a leather bomber in my youth, couldn't afford one.
    I remember when I bought mine for a hundred bucks, that was a big deal for me, budget-wise, and I remember right after I pulled the trigger on it, there was a Seinfeld episode about Jerry spending four hundred bucks on a 'fashion' bomber jacket. One of the few times I identified with Kramer.
    I don't care to know what the tough do when the going gets tough.

I am interested in what the enlightened do.

When the Beatles were in their early days I really wanted some Beatle Boots. Saved my money from an after-school job and got some.
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

I am so-o-o glad that there are no photos existing of me in my shiny green satin paisley Nehru shirt with big gold peace medallion necklace in 1967...

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    I am so-o-o glad that there are no photos existing of me in my shiny green satin paisley Nehru shirt with big gold peace medallion necklace in 1967...
    I know the feeling. Recently I found a pic circa 1983 of my wife and I in our 'almost hippie' days. Even now I feel embarrassed about how we looked.
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.