Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Congressman Running for AG Espouses Violence

Default Re: Congressman Running for AG Espouses Violence

O please. Advocating violence. What utter BS.

If you want to parse his words, he said they were poised to tear the house apart ( hyperbole ). So his response would be to stand alert with a baseball bat ( also hyperbole ).
    You would be wrong. ( And, name calling is impolite and does not serve to move a conversation forward.)

Congressman Maloney explains his, " baseball bat," ad:

I asked Maloney to explain the ad as we ran through Brooklyn Bridge Park. “The baseball bat is about defending your home and your family when someone’s coming through the front door and you have nowhere to run,” he said. “That’s not violence, that’s self-defense. That’s making a decision that you’re going to make a stand or go down swinging.”

Maloney goes on...( pardon my editing; I'd get banned for an unedited c and p. Click the link if you can't fill in the blanks, or want to read more.)

“I don’t give a f*&k what the Trump fans say. That’s not what this is about,” Maloney said. “This is about speaking from the heart. About a family I’ve built for 25 years that’s in the crosshairs of these as&^(((s. And doing something about it.”

What a Bozo.

Kevin

https://www.cityandstateny.com/artic...ing-tough.html
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery View Post
    He was advocating change, of course.
    He was advocating violent departure from the rule of law. He was advocating a virtual coup.

"I asked Maloney to explain the ad as we ran through Brooklyn Bridge Park. “The baseball bat is about defending your home and your family when someone’s coming through the front door and you have nowhere to run,” he said. “That’s not violence, that’s self-defense. That’s making a decision that you’re going to make a stand or go down swinging.”"

Metaphors, metaphors. Everybody knows what he was saying. He may be a jerk, but he's not stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    He was advocating violent departure from the rule of law. He was advocating a virtual coup.
    Oh, grow up.

The violent departure from the Rule of Law is being perpetrated by Trump's kleptocrats.

This guy isn't having any, and neither am I.

Virtual coup?

REALLY!!

All these 'Republican' snowflakes need to retreat to their safe space, and allow the adults to run the country.
    Rattling the teacups.

Oh he's not having any part in it ozna, but if someone else………………… well……………..

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Oh he's not having any part in it ozna, but if someone else………………… well……………..
    BULLSPIT!!!!!!

Here's a man who rightfully perceives the 'Republican' Administration as wreckers of everything decent about the US.

He sees that Trump is gathering his forces to abolish anything but Rule By Trump.

He intends to defend his home and his country from these wretched marauders by becoming AG.

He uses metaphor to describe his stance.

Trump, on the other hand, is openly advocating violence against individual citizens who don't toady up toot sweet.

The quotes in this cartoon are ACTUAL QUOTES.

Yet Kevin takes issue with Maloney.

Snowflakes need to head for their safe space, and let the adults send their Mendacious Messiah to Guantanamo, where he belongs.
    Rattling the teacups.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    I asked Maloney to explain the ad as we ran through Brooklyn Bridge Park. “The baseball bat is about defending your home and your family when someone’s coming through the front door and you have nowhere to run,” he said. “That’s not violence, that’s self-defense. That’s making a decision that you’re going to make a stand or go down swinging.”

Maloney goes on...( pardon my editing; I'd get banned for an unedited c and p. Click the link if you can't fill in the blanks, or want to read more.)

“I don’t give a f*&k what the Trump fans say. That’s not what this is about,” Maloney said. “This is about speaking from the heart. About a family I’ve built for 25 years that’s in the crosshairs of these as&^(((s. And doing something about it.”

What a Bozo.

Kevin
    But you characterize the situation as responding to a mere difference of opinion. That's clearly incorrect. It's self-defense against violence offered to you in your home. Are you a pacifist?
    He's a Mexican. -- Donald Trump.
    America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama. -- Governor Chris Christie (R) New Jersey
    It wasn't racism, it was an attack on Christianity. -- Fox News
    Crying white mothers are ratings gold. -- National Rifle Association

But you characterize the situation as responding to a mere difference of opinion. That's clearly incorrect. It's self-defense against violence offered to you in your home.
    The above is a c and p from a follow-on interview in which Maloney is asked to explain the words he used in his ad. In the ad, he asserts that Trump/ Republican social positions require the use of a baseball bat.

Are you a pacifist?
    No. I'm not a pacifist.
    More to your point: I would not bring a knife to a gunfight. But neither would I bring a baseball bat to an argument.

Kevin

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

The above is a c and p from a follow-on interview in which Maloney is asked to explain the words he used in his ad. In the ad, he asserts that Trump/ Republican social positions require the use of a baseball bat.

No. I'm not a pacifist.
    More to your point: I would not bring a knife to a gunfight. But neither would I bring a baseball bat to an argument.

Kevin

Kevin
    Argument?

Maloney perceives quite accurately that the men Trump has gathered in the front yard intend to tear his house apart!

That's not an 'Argument' any more than The Shrub going-to-war-with-Iraq-because-of-the-lie-that-the-Iraqis-had-denied-access-to-weapons-inspectors is an argument.

What if you were happily married to your gay husband, and had two little adopted children to look after?

Would you stand in the hallway with a baseball bat THEN?

No?

I once told you Mister Kevin Breakaway, that if I were to unexpectedly orphan my children, I would hope that someone like you might look after them.

Now, I'm not so sure.
    Rattling the teacups.

What if you were happily married to your gay husband, and had two little adopted children to look after?

Would you stand in the hallway with a baseball bat THEN?
    Not if someone with an opinion differing from mine was approaching the door, no.

Kevin

I naturally lean to the left but I try to stay neutral, and not very well, with your politics. The same standards apply to both sides, they must.

Not if someone with an opinion differing from mine was approaching the door, no.

Kevin
    But that's not the question. These men are here to tear your house apart.

Do you skin out the back door, or do you stand in the hallway with a baseball bat?
    Rattling the teacups.

As for minorities, and the press, please provide citations where specific acts of violence were suggested.

So, you're okay with actual violence encouraged against people attending a rally, as per post #29, but not metaphorical violence like that in the ad?

Human beings, I'll never understand them.

You would be wrong. ( And, name calling is impolite and does not serve to move a conversation forward.)

Congressman Maloney explains his, " baseball bat," ad:

What a Bozo.

Kevin

Really?

What is it about the family he's been building for 25 years is unworthy of your respect?

I mean, what is it that makes him and his family so unworthy of defending against a crew of ratfreakers who will derive sadistic glee from beating him and his partner to DEATH to satisfy their own inadequacies and insecurities?

We've seen this behavior over and over from the so-called 'conservative' side of the aisle.

NO!

No more!

Why you are incapable of accepting this man's right to express his intention to defend his home and his family against his DECLARED ENEMIES who would cause enormous human suffering to his family on the basis of their own insecurities is simply a mystery to me.

Who the heck ARE you, anymore?
    Rattling the teacups.

He's my congressman and his office is in my town. I ve had many interactions with professionally, at citizen/representative meetings and in pubs. He's a great guy, attorney and representative. I actually hope he stays in the house, but I think he would be a great AG. I'd also pick up a bat to defend him and his family should his rights be attacked by narrow minded, self serving and divisive promoting folks.

Is there someone who really, actually, doesn't understand the concept of a metaphor?

All I can do is quote a line from one of my favorite movies: "Did I.Q.'s just suddenly drop around here?"
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    Is there someone who really, actually, doesn't understand the concept of a metaphor?
    So the guy’s a logologist? Is that worse than a Russian?
    ‘Rubbish!’ he always said. ‘It’s just a story about rabbits.’”

This is precisely like Trump's attack on football players kneeling during the anthem. He can't argue with the real purpose that the players offer in kneeling so he makes up a false one he can attack with impunity. Kevin knows what a metaphor is well enough but that does not suit the preferred narative.
    Tom L

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Noyes View Post
    the Lame Stream media for one... have a look at this article! CNN cant figure out that the Teflon Don was using a "metaphor"!

Trump boasted Saturday that support for his presidential campaign would not decline even ifhe shot someone in the middle of a crowded street.
    https://www.cnn.com/2016/01/23/polit...ort/index.html
    A metaphor perhaps, but one with a lit fuse. How about Trump's rants in post #40? Were those metaphors also?
    Tom L

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Lathrop View Post
    A metaphor perhaps, but one with a lit fuse. How about Trump's rants in post #40? Were those metaphors also?
    Oh, the sudden silence. Is that a surrender?

surrendercat-400x293.jpg
    Tom L

Originally Posted by Tom Lathrop
    Oh, the sudden silence. Is that a surrender?
    More like, work and kids leaving no time for Forum Fun.

I am not sure of your meaning. Are you saying that the bad behavior of one person gives license for another to act badly?

Kevin

Kevin,

Sorry, but you're wrong on this one. Better go spend MORE time on the water to get your mind right <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

More like, work and kids leaving no time for Forum Fun.

I am not sure of your meaning. Are you saying that the bad behavior of one person gives license for another to act badly?

Kevin
    Not at all. I'm saying that the second person did not act badly. C'mon Kevin we all know that you are smart enough to figure this out and certain you are sure of the meaning. Feigning ignorance does not suit you.
    Tom L

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    Perhaps it's time for an intervention.

Not at all. I'm saying that the second person did not act badly. C'mon Kevin we all know that you are smart enough to figure this out and certain you are
    sure of the meaning. Feigning ignorance does not suit you.
    I am not feigning ignorance.

All of those Trump quotes in that cartoon, are:

a) out of context

and

b) in response to first overt actions by other people ( tomato throwers, people taking the podium forcibly from a candidate per Bernie, etc.

Mostly, I don't have a problem with those statements because they were responses to unruly and violent behavior. "Be good or be gone," are words to live by, in my book. They were also made extemporaneously.

Maloney's statement suggests that he will take the initiative with violence; it is not a response to violence. Furthermore, he made these statements in a taped and scripted ad, so he had time to consider them, edit them and change them if he so chose.

Metaphor? Read the candidate's own explanation of the words he used in his ad. Here is the link again, you must have missed it the first time.

Now, gents ( and any ladies, too)...this thread is about Maloney, a legislator and candidate for Attorney General of the State of New York, who advocates the use of a baseball bat in response to ideological opposition.

This thread is not about Trump. This thread is not about me. This thread is not about the behavior of anyone else but the person running for a very powerful political position. Can we at least try to stay on topic? If not, please start another thread in which these other people are the subject of discussion.

Thank you.

Kevin

I am not feigning ignorance.
    [redacted]

All of those Trump quotes in that cartoon, are:

a) out of context

and

b) in response to first overt actions by other people ( tomato throwers, people taking the podium forcibly from a candidate per Bernie, etc.

Mostly, I don't have a problem with those statements because they were responses to unruly and violent behavior. "Be good or be gone," are words to live by, in my book. They were also made extemporaneously.
    I wonder how long Trump would last in the Bilge?

Do you think Scot would abide the 'out of context' BS?

Maloney's statement suggests that he will take the initiative with violence; it is not a response to violence. Furthermore, he made these statements in a taped and scripted ad, so he had time to consider them, edit them and change them if he so chose.

So, the men gather in your front yard with the intention of tearing your house apart, and that means that YOU are initiating violence?

I don't think so.

I don't think you're feigning ignorance, either. I think you're feigning outrage about the baseball bat, because there's something else about Maloney that bothers you terribly.

Metaphor? Read the candidate's own explanation of the words he used in his ad. Here is the link again, you must have missed it the first time.

Now, gents ( and any ladies, too)...this thread is about Maloney, a legislator and candidate for Attorney General of the State of New York, who advocates the use of a baseball bat in response to ideological opposition.
    You mean this?

If you think that a short, declarative sentence that specifically says "That's not violence, that's self defense." translates into 'espousing violence' in your mind, then I would say that the problem is in between YOUR ears, not Maloney's.
    Rattling the teacups.

This is what the threat of violence looks like in Trump's America. Coming straight from the right: WBF thread titled "USA - Constitutional Convention," Post #7.
    War is peace.
    Freedom is slavery.
    Ignorance is strength.
    Trump is doing beautifully.