Thread: betty lou oliver - holy cow

Default betty lou oliver - holy cow

Betty Lou Oliver was working on the 80th story of the Empire State building on July 28, 1945. On that day, due to thick fog a B-25 Mitchell bomber crashed into the north side of the Empire State Building. The plane struck the 79th floor of the building and Oliverís car was on the 80th floor. She was thrown from her car and received severe burns, and her pelvis, back and neck were broken.

Then!

Then!!!

After treating her injuries, first aid workers put her in an elevator to send her down to the main floor. But the cables of that elevator had been weakened by the crash, and they broke! And as a result, Oliver plummeted 75 stories to the basement! How Did She Survive?
    The thousand feet (300 m) of elevator cable had fallen to the bottom of the shaft creating a softer landing surface. And the rapid compression of the air also likely helped cushion the landing.

Jesus, what a day!

5 months later she returned to the top of the empire state building.

betty-lou-oliver.jpg
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Default Re: betty lou oliver - holy cow

What an experience.

How is she working, and in her car, on the eightieth floor of the Empire State building?
    I don't care to know what the tough do when the going gets tough.

I am interested in what the enlightened do.

How is she working, and in her car, on the eightieth floor of the Empire State building?
    Elevator car, not automobile.

If you visit the building you learn all kinds of weird-cool facts. One lady fell or jumped....but gusty winds landed her on a ledge 10 or 12 stories from her point of departure, where she was rescued.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Kevin I suppose you know the really old joke about the little Irish tourist peeping over the edge at the view from the top of the Empire State Building, and an American feller walks over and says- You know, if you jump off here, the wind will catch you and bring you right back up again. No Way! says the Irish man. Yep! Says the American- watch this- and jumps. He fall a couple of hundred feet, slows and then comes back up and is once again standing beside the Irish feller. Look I'll show you again- works every time. You try it, he says, and eventually talks the little Irish man into jumping- he plummets to his death. A second American walks over and says to the first- You know Superman, sometimes you really s#!t me. JayInOz