Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Collective Psychosis in Sweden is Breaking

Default Re: The Collective Psychosis in Sweden is Breaking

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    "BS is more entertaining than reality." - skaraborgcraft

DING! DING! DING! We have a winner!

(Sad commentary on the level of dialogue from certain folks hereabouts, though...)
    I thought it a priceless bit of irony, given the poster who stated it.

no SB BS artiste we aren't talking about Sweden. We are talking about your fantasys of Sweden.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post
    This is Sweden we're talking about, Cris. Sweden.

That we're even having this discussion shows just how much things have changed.
    We wouldn't be if you hadn't gone off on it. You can't reference yourself in regards to defending this thread
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Art Haberland View Post
    We wouldn't be if you hadn't gone off on it. You can't reference yourself in regards to defending this thread
    I suppose you can if you are a fully qualified troll.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Haberland View Post
    Since when are you required to participate or even follow the thread?

More pertinently, however, have you no comment on the apparent rise to power of the far right in a country such as Sweden? It's more important to you to take silly shots at people?

You can join birlinn in the "nothing much to add" crowd. Boring

No, no, no, Blooie. He does not "take silly shots at people", he takes shots at silly people.

Myself, I would comment on the apparent rise to power of the far right in a country such as Sweden, if I were to see it happening.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

What I like about Cris Ross is that there is no insult or dishonesty about him.

The reality is that he has something to say, and he is sufficiently literate to convey it.

Were that the case for so many others here.

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    Whats your point? How do you expect people to react?
    There are many ways people might be expected to react. The far right feels fear and loathing and rallies around Nativism and Nationalism and Populism. Others feel compassion. Others see an economic opportunity for a Europe with negative population growth. The far right has an incandescent belief that their viewpoint is the only viewpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    How about paying some attention to your own country for a change SB ?.... asbestos as Trump's gift to the workers.
    , you tell him
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

Since when are you required to participate or even follow the thread?

More pertinently, however, have you no comment on the apparent rise to power of the far right in a country such as Sweden? It's more important to you to take silly shots at people?

You can join birlinn in the "nothing much to add" crowd. Boring
    And just what do you add, SB, with your constant trolling? Mega boring.

Quote Originally Posted by birlinn View Post
    And just what do you add, SB, with your constant trolling?
    res ipsa loquitur

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    No, no, no, Blooie. He does not "take silly shots at people", he takes shots at silly people.

Myself, I would comment on the apparent rise to power of the far right in a country such as Sweden, if I were to see it happening.

You might want to read this from Britain's most-established, left-leaning periodical New Statesman:
    https://www.newstatesman.com/culture...y-ungovernable
    EUROPE
    4 JULY 2018
    How the remorseless rise of the Swedish far right could leave the country ungovernable

Support for the party, which has its roots in the neo-Nazi movement and once pledged to “keep Sweden Swedish”, surged after Europe’s 2015 immigration crisis.

BY RICHARD MILNE

Every July, Sweden provides one of the world’s great democratic displays. Politicians of all hues descend on the Baltic island of Gotland for the annual Almedalen festival (1-8 July), meeting voters and debating issues ranging from forestry and fake news to immigration and imams in schools.

But in advance of the general election on 9 September, a spectre haunted this year’s Almedalen. Swedish politics is facing its most severe test for decades. The consensual, egalitarian model that has attracted global admiration is under immense strain.

The most notable sign is the surge in support for the populist, anti-immigration Sweden Democrats. Opinion polls suggest the far-right party could potentially double its 2014 vote share (13 per cent), which made it the country’s third-largest party with 49 seats. It is even conceivable that the Sweden Democrats, who recently backed a referendum on EU membership (“Swexit”), could finish first.

The nationalist outfit’s rise has been accompanied by a collapse in support for traditional parties. Sweden’s ruling Social Democrats were once electorally hegemonic, governing for more than 60 years of the 20th century and averaging 45 per cent of the vote (twice exceeding 50 per cent).

For the last four years, the party has led a minority government in alliance with the Greens. But in common with their German, French and Italian counterparts, the Social Democrats are now struggling and are on course for their worst result for more than a century (a recent YouGov poll put them on just 22 per cent).

The centre-right opposition, led by the Moderate Party (on 17 per cent), is faring no better. A four-party alliance, that governed from 2006 to 2014 and passed radical free market reforms, is in danger of fracturing.

How did Swedish politics enter such a disruptive era?

For more than a decade, the main parties established a cordon sanitairearound the Sweden Democrats. They were entirely ostracised, gaining no positions of influence in the Riksdag, the Swedish parliament, after their breakthrough in 2010 (when they won 20 seats).
    Many of their policies – including an EU referendum, which a majority of Swedes oppose – have been stubbornly resisted by other parties.
    Such a stance reflected the Sweden Democrats’ history.
    The party’s roots lie in the neo-Nazi movement – an early slogan was “keep Sweden Swedish”. But the far right has since sought to detoxify its image.
    Jimmie Åkesson, the leader of the Sweden Democrats since 2005, has periodically purged its more extreme members.
    The rebrand, however, has not always succeeded. A local Sweden Democrat politician was forced to resign last year after suggesting Muslims were not fully human. And the MP Björn Söder, a leading member of the party, recently caused consternation by suggesting that Jews and Sami people were not true Swedes.
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

The Swedish Democrats are nowadays a xenophobic and isolationalistic version of traditional social democracy. The nazi elements were always few and have now been purged. More than 20% of the Swedes are xenophobic and isolationalistic so their potential is grater than 20%. They are however Swedish and therefore only moderately xenophobic. As king makers they are limited in their options; they cannot suppport a red/green government.

Sweden will continue to run even if a government cannot be formed. Don't worry, or do worry if you expected Sweden to come apart because of the Swedish Democrats.

Erik

Well I'm just glad I made it to the ABBA museum before the country fell to the nazis.
    The best statement I've seen from this latest carnage came from a student who lived through it -

"My generation will not allow this to continue!"

Remember voting age is 18. Read it and weep reds.

right then,

Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

Thanks, I needed that.
    The best statement I've seen from this latest carnage came from a student who lived through it -

"My generation will not allow this to continue!"

Remember voting age is 18. Read it and weep reds.

I am at least glad to see Rum Pirate finally acknowledge that the rise of the far-right can leave a country ungovernable.

Quote Originally Posted by ERGR View Post
    The Swedish Democrats are nowadays a xenophobic and isolationalistic version of traditional social democracy. The nazi elements were always few and have now been purged. More than 20% of the Swedes are xenophobic and isolationalistic so their potential is grater than 20%. They are however Swedish and therefore only moderately xenophobic. As king makers they are limited in their options; they cannot suppport a red/green government.

Sweden will continue to run even if a government cannot be formed. Don't worry, or do worry if you expected Sweden to come apart because of the Swedish Democrats.

Erik
    And there you have it, from the horse's mouth. SB has apparently failed to understand the basic mechanics of a coalition system of government. While the Swedish Democrats might well get a sizeable portion of the vote, that is no guarantee they will be a part of the coalition that actually forms the government.
    Exactly this happened in our last election. Although the National Party individually polled highest, they were kept out of power by a coalition of other parties.

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

Quote Originally Posted by epoxyboy View Post
    And there you have it, from the horse's mouth. SB has apparently failed to understand the basic mechanics of a coalition system of government. While the Swedish Democrats might well get a sizeable portion of the vote, that is no guarantee they will be a part of the coalition that actually forms the government.
    Exactly this happened in our last election. Although the National Party individually polled highest, they were kept out of power by a coalition of other parties.

Pete
    that is one of the reasons I wish we had more parties here in the US. Anything that keeps one party from dominating everything is good.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

I'd simply ask for a thoughtful take on the rise of the far right in Sweden (of all places).

Anybody got one?
    1. Yin/Yang
    2. The rabble's hunger for novelty
    3. Atavistic tribalism
    4. Long winters
    5. MEM
    6. Over-population
    7. Russian meddling
    Last edited by Osborne Russell; 08-09-2018 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Let us NOT forget
    He's a Mexican. -- Donald Trump.
    America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama. -- Governor Chris Christie (R) New Jersey
    It wasn't racism, it was an attack on Christianity. -- Fox News
    Crying white mothers are ratings gold. -- National Rifle Association

Quote Originally Posted by Osborne Russell View Post
    1. Yin/Yang
    2. The rabble's hunger for novelty
    3. Atavistic tribalism
    4. Long winters
    5. MEM
    6. Over-population
    7. Russian meddling
    That is brilliant. Danka!
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

I guess we can conclude from the responses here that the possibility that the far right could win a majority of the votes next month in Sweden's national elections is no big deal. This is Sweden we're talking about, people.

Not Visegrad, mind you. Sweden.

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

There is no possibility whatsoever that they will win a majority of the votes.

They might receive more votes than other parties, but it will be between 20-30%.

They are unlikely to be able to form a government - who will join them? And if there is a coalition government, what part of the Denocrats’ agenda survives?

Yes it is shocking that 20+/-% of any OECD country’s population would be seduced by the silliness and retrograde bloviating of these far right Nativist Nationalist Populist movements. When it becomes obvious how empty and useless their rhetoric is, this too shall pass.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Ross View Post
    There is no possibility whatsoever that they will win a majority of the votes.

They might receive more votes than other parties, but it will be between 20-30%.

They are unlikely to be able to form a government - who will join them? And if there is a coalition government, what part of the Denocrats’ agenda survives?

Yes it is shocking that 20+/-% of any OECD country’s population would be seduced by the silliness and retrograde bloviating of these far right Nativist Nationalist Populist movements. When it becomes obvious how empty and useless their rhetoric is, this too shall pass.
    Thank you for being precise. My understanding is that, on balance, the party that takes the most votes ends up with the most seats. Please correct me if I'm wrong about that.

I think freezing them out of power and continuing on as before would be an awful mistake.

The number of seats a party gets is proportional to the number of votes, provided the party gets more than 4% of the votes.

If the parliament cannot agree on a new budget, the previous budget is automatically just extended. If the parliament cannot agree on a new government, the old ministers will continue to administrate. Sweden will continue to run without changing direction. Not a big deal.
    Erik

not a big deal
    The Left wing press in the US has a different assessment.

https://www.politico.eu/article/swed...eral-election/

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b07aea7542f347

The Swedish business community is also concerned.

https://www.ft.com/content/bc8d90a4-...2-5946bae86e6d

A slight shift (compared with the previous election), to the not so far right, if you believe the Hufpo article. The "far right" is being actively purged or self-eliminating, from the party. Why would that be SB?

Always calm in public, party leader Jimmie Åkesson boosts his credentials as a moderate by reacting quickly to any incidents that hint at what critics say is the hateful true nature of the Sweden Democrats. He pushed out a local candidate photographed wearing a swastika armband, another who posted racist comments online and a former lawmaker filmed using racial slurs. Even as examples continue to pile up ― on June 22, a top party member wrote on Facebook that Jews “are not Swedes” ― the Sweden Democrats have built enough mainstream credibility to overcome these moments.

A small but steady exodus of the party’s most hardline rank-and-file members to a new splinter group called Alternative for Sweden has helped too.

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

Thanks Pete, Sweden saw enough of swastikas and Nazis 55 years ago to not want any more, despite Bluey's fantasies.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Sweden was neutral in WW2, but I am sure they saw enough of what happened to their neighbours.

That's what I meant, they were surrounded by jackboots.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    I am at least glad to see Rum Pirate finally acknowledge that the rise of the far-right can leave a country ungovernable.
    True (never said it couldn't) just as a far-left can leave a country ungovernable.

The solution is somewhere in-between, but just where and that could vary from country to country.
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    That is brilliant. Danka!
    You're welcome (English will have to do!)
    He's a Mexican. -- Donald Trump.
    America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama. -- Governor Chris Christie (R) New Jersey
    It wasn't racism, it was an attack on Christianity. -- Fox News
    Crying white mothers are ratings gold. -- National Rifle Association

Quote Originally Posted by S.V. Airlie View Post
    Or insecticides or coal ash in streams or air pollution or drilling in the Anwar Wildlife Refuge or decreasing the size of several western monuments for drilling purposes.
    So all the people in the US are guards at Auschwitz ? Trump is personally going to be dumping coal ash in streams, drilling in ANWAR and tearing down monuments ?

Whose planet is it ? If the people of the US don't give a damn about their own world, why are you blaming Trump ? He's just one guy and you know what ? Nobody has to listen to him.