Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Collective Psychosis in Sweden is Breaking

Default The Collective Psychosis in Sweden is Breaking

Sweden Democrats are poised for a landslide. The people want their country back. I'll believe it when I see it, but the polling seems awful strong. Sweden looks to be in for some big changes.

https://yournewswire.com/anti-immigr...dish-election/

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Default Re: The Collective Psychosis in Sweden is Breaking

For someone who has more than likely never been there, this is rich SB. And bashing other countries is your MO especially when your God is trashing America from all directions. I can understand why you want to ignore or deflect what's going on here. It's hard to defend the indefensible all the time. Must be exhausting in fact!
    Last edited by S.V. Airlie; 08-08-2018 at 05:58 PM.

Read another article today that was discussing some of Sweden’s not-so-left policies: https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/...xciting-words/
    Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country. John Fn Kennedy. (D)

Well, somebody’s collective psychosis is breaking, anyway.

Did SB ever defend Trump's reintroduction of asbestos ?
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

It's crazy. The far right are on the cusp of becoming kingmakers in Swedish politics. This is Sweden we're talking about, people. SWEDEN.

The dullards will still ignore the message. Their vanity, their need to adore themselves, knows no bounds. They will sacrifice everything for it.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Did SB ever defend Trump's reintroduction of asbestos ?
    Or insecticides or coal ash in streams or air pollution or drilling in the Anwar Wildlife Refuge or decreasing the size of several western monuments for drilling purposes. Nah, when his grandchildren grow up, he cat take them to the zoo where the few animals live in cages. Yup, that's the ticket.

you blokes!

SWEDEN, people

They seemed normal but upon closer inspection... 5984BC71-A168-40F1-A61D-442AC68381C9.jpg
    King Moonraiser:
    A toy is never truly happy until it is loved by a child.

Aren't trolls from Sweden?
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Art Haberland View Post
    Aren't trolls from Sweden?
    Broader, just say Scandinavia!But, this girl does have a pair of good sized feet.

Wife has a cousin with Am/Nor dual citizenship next door in Drobak, Norway. We'll be seeing her in Illinois soon, so we'll inquire. Her word sure is a lot more trustworthy than yours, Sky.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Scheuer View Post
    Wife has a cousin with Am/Nor dual citizenship next door in Drobak, Norway. We'll be seeing her in Illinois soon, so we'll inquire. Her word sure is a lot more trustworthy than yours, Sky.
    But, but, but SB is an authority on everything bad in Europe. Of course, the US is moving right along swimmingly.

I'd simply ask for a thoughtful take on the rise of the far right in Sweden (of all places).

Anybody got one?

Truthfully, would you let that stop you?

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    They seemed normal but upon closer inspection...

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post
    SWEDEN, people
    How about paying some attention to your own country for a change SB ?.... asbestos as Trump's gift to the workers.
    Grateful Dead

The ease of the welfare state allows such dilettante pursuits to grow, and there are always the disaffected and those who will exploit them for their own power purposes. Add the fact that male brains do not mature to around 25 and by then attitudes are hard to change.
    I'm sure that some will object to non european migration and refugees as well. In such a small society that is not surprising.

Hey Sky, my Albin-25 Diesel Motor Cruiser was built in Sweden in 1976. The vessel may well make me more of an expert on SWEDEN than you are. Add the fact that my wife and I have actually toured SWEDEN by auto and boat in the company of the Norwegian cousins..

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

I'd simply ask for a thoughtful take on the rise of the far right in Sweden (of all places).

Anybody got one?
    I wouldn't get too carried away.
    The Swedes are a pretty steady group of people. Their far right is probably somewhere closer to your democrats that your republicans (or your KKK).
    You say they want their country back, you might be surprised to find nobody took it off them.

The scandinavian countries are all struggling with immigration - for cultural reasons,.
    They are an extremely ordered and homogenous bunch the blue eyed blond Gods. They eat the same food at the same time, dress the same, cycle the same bikes. Are equally blunt to the point of rudeness and have an enlightened perspective of homosexuality and feminism. There's a disjoint when other cultures come in (even other europeans) who invariably can't dovetail smoothly.
    Rather than the Nazi nirvana I'm sure you hope will be unleashed, you'll probably find a slowing down of intake and a greater emphasis on cultural awareness and training and such.
    (Its worth noting the intake of migrants has slowed down considerably in the last 2 years - typical wingnuts emerging to close the gate again after the horse has bolted. Are they called conservative because they only see things that happened years ago?)

Of course there are the 2% of right wingnuts who I'm sure can provide you with plenty of photogenic nazi shots on Google - but for the most part those steady northern heads will remain very steady. Unlike the slightly hysterical jubilant tone of 'SWEDEN people'. The desire for some goose stepping is palpable.
    Philip K. Dick — 'Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away'.

thank you, Gypsie for that enlightened look at those folk from up north.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

Anybody got one?
    Sure.

The far right's rise across Europe and the US to me resembles the rise of the Greens in the 80s. In both cases these fringe parties rose in a time of fear or resentment, they successfully exploited the complacency of established parties, and they offer simple easy answers to complex problems. They successfully nudge the agenda a little off center, but when they can't develop a broad message or coalition needed to govern they become mostly irrelevant minority party back benchers.

Nativism, Nationalism and Populism are the formula for the far right, just as Environmenalism and Anti-militarism were the formula for the Greens.

This is not a watershed moment. The Democrats are polling at about 20% and unlikely to overtake the Social Democrats. Support for far right parties is about the same in many countries - Trump got 21% of the electorate and so did the Brexit Leavers. In the US poor voter turnout and an electoral college which favors rural states got Trump elected, in Europe multi-party parliaments can create an opening for a non-majority party. For the Democrats, this is their shining moment. They've tried to hide their roots as a neo-Nazi party (members were photographed in Nazi uniforms at party klatsches as recently as 1996).

But most important, the consensus in Sweden around the social welfare state and values of inclusiveness runs deep. Sure, you can find one out of five people in Sweden upset about non-white immigrants or LGBT people or National Identity. The other four may not get agitated but they like things the way they are. Look again to the Greens in the 80s. Thirty to forty years later, Europe still has robust carbon-based industries and standing armies, two things the Greens were going to make go away.

Most countries do not have a consensus about immigration right now. Until a consensus is gained, the far right has an opportunity to make gains based on a spectrum of feelings in the population from pragmatic concern to overt racism.

My bona fides on this: I'm a quarter Swedish and follow things there. I'm involved in a professional exchange with an organization in Stockholm and was there last September, and met with Swedish colleagues in the US in March and in Copenhagen in June, and plan to see them again in September. Of course we talk politics

When in danger, when in doubt
    Run in circles, scream and shout

Perhaps Jordan Peterson could help SB to calm down and overcome his hysterics.
    "Mozart is the heart's touchstone" (Edwin Fischer)

^ Mr Ross.
    Nice one son.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by downthecreek View Post
    When in danger, when in doubt
    Run in circles, scream and shout
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

SWEDEN, people
    Please stop saying that, I'm not your people.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    How about paying some attention to your own country for a change SB ?.... asbestos as Trump's gift to the workers.
    There is one thing SB absolutely refuses to defend and that is Trump's malicious and idiotic reintroduction of asbestos into the workplace.
    Grateful Dead

Whats your point? How do you expect people to react? First it was the influx from the Balkans after Clintons intervention, then it was Iraqi people from Bush intervention, then Afghans, Libyans and Somalis. If you want to complain about it, look at the root cause, not the people trying to deal with the after effects. Its not the same as it was even 10 years ago, but no need for me to go into details as many on this thread accuse me of being a Russian bot and Putin fan......they know as much about me as they do Sweden, but hey, BS is more entertaining than reality.

"BS is more entertaining than reality." - skaraborgcraft

DING! DING! DING! We have a winner!

(Sad commentary on the level of dialogue from certain folks hereabouts, though...)
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

most countries don't have a consensus on immigration right now
    Illuminating.

Illuminating.
    And bloody obvious. I see lack of consensus, you see an inevitable Bannonesque Black Wave of Nativist Nationalism becoming dominant in Europe.

I think the Black Wave will slosh around for a little longer, maybe through 2020, then ebb.

Consider the lackluster support for Alternative for Germany, as reported in the Guardian. Voters in Europe and the U.S. are voting against complacent established parties, and are voting their disappointment after the 2008 financial collapse and with concerns about the immigration crisis in 2015. Beyond a core of black-shirted true believers, Europeans are not embracing a new racially and ethnically pure vision for their Motherlands.

Does this shocking result mean that AfD is going to be the third force in German politics in the future? There are many reasons to doubt this. First of all, the poll showed that a stunning 60% of AfD voters voted “against all other parties” and only 34% voted out of conviction for AfD. This is in sharp contrast to voters of all other parties. More than 70% said that it would be good if you could vote for CSU outside Bavaria – CSU is a much more conservative and rightwing party than Merkel’s CDU, but only contests election in the southern state – while 86% think that the party does not distance itself enough from “extreme right positions”.In short, the relationship between AfD and its voters is weak, and is mostly defined by opposition to other parties rather than by support for AfD itself. And beyond its own voters, AfD still seems highly controversial. Only 12% of all Germans were “satisfied with the political work” of Alice Weidel, the co-leader of AfD, with Alexander Gauland. This was by far the lowest of all party leaders; even significantly lower than the 44% for the highly controversial Sahra Wagenknecht, deputy chairwoman of the radical left Die Linke

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-radical-right

We'll know pretty soon who's right.

This is Sweden we're talking about, Cris. Sweden.

That we're even having this discussion shows just how much things have changed.

SWEEEEDEN PEOPLE! .....

LMAO

The best statement I've seen from this latest carnage came from a student who lived through it -

"My generation will not allow this to continue!"

Remember voting age is 18. Read it and weep reds.

Sweden, yes, Sweden.

Perhaps we have different perceptions of what Sweden has been, is now, and will be in the future. mdh's article describes some aspects of the socially tolerant and economically pragmatist Sweden I'm familiar with.

Let's check back in a few years to see whether the Democrats are dominant in Sweden. It will be quite a trick for them to shed their neo-Nazi and ethnic cleansing past and develop an actual program for governance. I see their trajectory following that of UKIP.

mdh's article describes some aspects of the socially tolerant and economically pragmatist Sweden I'm familiar with
    I wonder if we're having the same conversation. It is precisely that aspect of Sweden's national character that makes these developments so profound. That is quite my point. This is Sweden we're talking about. You act as if 20% is small potatoes. I suggest quite the opposite, for precisely the reasons you cite in your own perspective on the country.

Let us see what happens next month.

Regarding UKIP, and with Brexit, the party's raison d'etre has disappeared. I don't see what relevance its current decline holds for the Sweden Democrats, who may well emerge as the largest party in the country. That was never the prospect for UKIP.