Thread: Ozone for mould-mildew control?

Default Ozone for mould-mildew control?

Has anyone tried this? We were talking to a couple last night who recondition used RV-trailers. They seal them up with an Ozonator running inside, for a day or two. Supposedly it kills everything, and airs out quickly after.

Default Re: Ozone for mould-mildew control?

I think I read somewhere that it dissolves all your rubber bits. Might try it in the bathroom though.

Ozone will oxidize everything that's organic, including wire insulation, if you over do it. It will kill plants and bugs and lung tissue. It will even do away with accumulated cigarette smoke odor. In short, it's a potent oxidizer, mold and mildew won't stand a chance against it.

On my boat I considered using one of these but rejected it for the reasons mentioned above. Plus I would still have to scrub off the mess of dead mold. Instead I scrubbed the mold off as much as possible.

For bulkheads and overhead I painted with latex gloss mixed with way more than the recommended amount of mildewcide like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Advance-Milde...rds=mildewcide

The ceilings on my boat are cedar strips. I rubbed these with cedar oil.

For the spaces behind the cedar strip ceiling I sprayed water with dissolved borax.

These three things seem to have prevented the mold from coming back for at least the 6 months since application even during the hot, damp, humid summer..
    Will

Colloidal silver ,easily made at home is a powerful mold killer/preventative..Does not lose it effectiveness unless scrubbed off, harmless to people ,plants and all materials ..
    wash the surface ,let dry spray on. done..
    Cheers

fans (airflow) + dehumidifier

reduces oxidization and growth

Running ozone in an enclosed trailer/boat for two days will significantly reduce the lifespan of any weather stripping caulking or rubber gaskets in there. Significantly. It is not worth doing this if you are going to keep the trailer.

Had an ozone generator leak inside an irrigation pump house for a week or so and had to redo all of the 8-inch flanged gaskets, this was about two decades ago.

When specifying ozone generators we put them in their own enclosure now.
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues