Thread: Words of wisdom, 1932

Default Words of wisdom, 1932

From "Manual of Seamanship, Vol. II":

"Some people are born seamen, and to them handling ships well is an easy matter; others gain perfection by close practical study; there are still others who will never succeed, it is not 'in them', and they become a worry and an annoyance to their comrades. The great hope and ambition of of every young officer should be that he never join the latter class, and should therefore give the subject his earliest and best attention. "
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Default Re: Words of wisdom, 1932

Well, ya.

:-)
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic and stop the madness. Save the country.

Possibly I have been lucky; I seem to have been born into the first group, in yacht sizes. I can’t make any claims for big stuff.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

True of most skills, not just seamanship. Some are 'naturals', some are hopeless, most have to work at it.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

You can drill down down further within seamanship/ sailing > too, My eldest daughter is a natural helm, doesn't sail.

One great lesson I learnt was about crew and crew capabilities. This crew had just jumped off an 8000 mile trip and got on a boat I was sailing on. We knew them and their reputation and how much racing and offshore sailing they'd done.. a great deal.
    So I 'm going on watch with them on this 46 ft sloop and they said to me that they weren't very good on the helm. Well ok , I thought , that just means you're not Dennis Conner but with all those miles you'll be competent.
    And competent they were up until 20 knots +and darkness, they completely lost situational awareness, missed all the cues from the sails and the boat action and put the boat into a crash gybe. After the gybe and for all the same reasons ended up with the boat 90 degrees to the wind on the wrong side, until something in the preventer broke and we got flailed with the sheet and boom. I came very close to a life changing moment that night and we got off lightly.
    I don't and didn't blame them because they told us ( the skipper and I as mate/ navigator.), we heard but we didn't assimilate. They were crew with thousands and thousands of miles but it turns out ,always on halyards sheets and keyboard, never helm.
    Last edited by John B; 08-08-2018 at 04:34 PM.

I have the volume too, and the corresponding manual of navigation on my shelves.