Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump's base wand to close news outlets.

Default Trump's base wand to close news outlets.

[IMc - I'd be interested in how many of our Trumpkins support the President's claims about "fake news" and "enemy of the people", and how many bring in the recent FaceBook and other actions.]

Published on Tuesday, August 07, 2018, by Common Dreams

'Terrifying': Poll Shows 43% of Republicans Think Trump Should Have Power to Shutter News Outlets for 'Bad Behavior'
    In an apparent win for the president's hostile rhetoric, nearly half of Republicans also agree with his claim that "the news media is the enemy of the American people."

by Jessica Corbett, staff writer

In the age of "media-bashing enthusiast" President Donald Trump—who regularly declares critical journalists and outlets "fake news" and "the enemy of the American people"—at least 43 percent of Republican respondents to a new survey said they believe "the president should have the authority to close news outlets engaged in bad behavior."

The Ipsos poll (pdf), first reported by The Daily Beast's Sam Stein, also found that nearly half of Republicans agree with one of the president's most common claims: that "the news media is the enemy of the American people." As Stein notes, "members of the press, as well as top officials at some of the nation's leading publications, have objected to the phrase, arguing that it is both wildly inaccurate and deeply dangerous."

Earlier this year—following Trump's so-called Fake News Awards—Reporters San Frontières, the international watchdog that ranks global press freedom, downgraded the United States, citing the president's hostility and raising alarm that his behavior could have negatives repercussions the world over. As the group's leader put it, "The unleashing of hatred towards journalists is one of the worst threats to democracies."

This new poll's findings, as Stein writes, "present a sobering picture for the fourth estate, with respondents showing diminished trust in the media and increased support for punitive measures against its members," and "illustrate the extent to which Trump's anti-press drumbeat has shaped public opinion about the role the media plays in covering his administration."

Although the numbers were highest—and thus, most "disturbing"—for self-identified Republicans, "swaths of self-identified Democrats and Independents supported anti-press positions as well." Twelve percent of Democrats and 21 percent of Independents also said they believe the president should be able to shutter news outlets, while 12 percent of Democrats and 26 percent of Independents agreed with Trump's position that the media is the enemy of the people.

Additionally, 72 percent of those polled—85 percent of Republicans and 63 percent of Democrats—think it should be easier to sue reporters for libel allegations.

Despite these "nuts" and "terrifying" takeaways—which left many readers concluding that "the war that Trump is constantly waging on the media and the truth is bearing some major fruit," and "43 percent of Republicans want a dictator instead of a president who follows the Constitution"—there were a few silver linings:

57 percent think "news and reporters are necessary to keep the Trump administration honest";
    68 percent agreed that "reporters should be protected from pressure from government or big business interests"; and
    85 percent claimed they still believe that "freedom of the press is essential for American democracy."

Default Re: Trump's base wand to close news outlets.

Conclusion: 43% of Republicans are wannabe fascists.
    I rather be an American than a Republican.

effing douchebags
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

At the risk of the usual acrimony, "Goebbels would be proud" and he would.

I'd be keeping a close eye on the state of the Republic…………...

Just the fake ones

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post
    Just the fake ones
    By that do you mean any news outlet that dares report Trump's idiocies ?
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Tell Tramp - and his base wand - to stay out of the news business...
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Just the fake ones
    Wow.

SB wants to shut down Fox.

I guess his account's been hacked.
    Rattling the teacups.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

These are the same people who trust Trump to tell them the truth.

I'm with Sky Blue - shut down Faux News.
    "People should be able to access these benefits [Social Welfare] as a matter of right, with no more loss of their own standards of self-respect than would be involved in collecting from an insurance company the proceeds of an endowment policy on which they have been paying premiums for years."
    Robert Menzies - Liberal Party (Conservative) Prime Minister of Australia.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question

Just the fake ones
    As much as I dislike Fox News, I am not getting into that pissing match. I want an honest answer here.. if we shut down "fake news" who gets to decide what is real and what is fake? Would there is a percentage that you have to reach of "real news" to stay on the air? Or would there be a government censor to determine what is news and what is not? Face it, calling for the shut down of news organizations that you do not like is reaching towards dictatorship in a very real and physical way. That is a place nobody of any integrity wants to go, I would imagine not even Blue or bobbys would want to see the Donald become a Dictator for life.. because the slippery slope that starts here, accelerates quickly as it drops away.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

There's all kind of deplatforming going on right now. This is just a poll. I'm oddly unconcerned about it.

I just don't think deplatforming and censorship really works. It's the Obi-Wan problem. Tens of millions worldwide, people that had never heard of Alex Jones, now are aware of him today. He's truly a household name now, mostly because of being deplatformed. It's rather paradoxical.

I don't think you can deselect a market. The edgier and more taboo something becomes, the more people will want to explore it.
    Last edited by Sky Blue; 08-07-2018 at 11:13 PM.

I mean, the NY Times hires an open racist, a decision defended in many quarters, but Alex Jones is deplatformed for violating "terms of service."

It is really quite surreal.

And they wonder why people feel these institutions are the "enemy."

You didn't answer Art's questions which are the same ones I have. Primary of these are who decides, and on what basis? Why you're angry at the Times yet defend Alex Jones is another thing entirely. Maybe that just comes about because being angry about the unfairness of it all seems to be the usual condition of the ultra right.
    Last edited by Lew Barrett; 08-07-2018 at 11:26 PM.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Haberland View Post
    As much as I dislike Fox News, I am not getting into that pissing match. I want an honest answer here.. if we shut down "fake news" who gets to decide what is real and what is fake? Would there is a percentage that you have to reach of "real news" to stay on the air? Or would there be a government censor to determine what is news and what is not? Face it, calling for the shut down of news organizations that you do not like is reaching towards dictatorship in a very real and physical way. That is a place nobody of any integrity wants to go, I would imagine not even Blue or bobbys would want to see the Donald become a Dictator for life.. because the slippery slope that starts here, accelerates quickly as it drops away.
    Are you new here, or what? Do you seriously, after seeing the SkyBlooie show for a while, expect any sort of 'honest answer'? You expect him to respond seriously and substantively?

It just boggles my mind that people are still trying to have an actual discussion with such a person...
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

You're reading too much into it, Lew. I don't have any particular emotion about recent events. Jones isn't going anywhere and the Times has normalized racist rhetoric. So yeah. It's Tuesday.

Trump's rhetoric is corrosive but it represents a hedge against the massive cultural and institutional power of the Left, which has, after all, demonstrated its power in deplatforming Jones. Still, I detect little celebration on the Left for this. It is as if they've released a monster to consume an enemy, but to have released it means it's still out there.

I also question the timing of the release of this polling, precisely on a day when the the counter-narrative is operative, this is, when it is actually a right wing media entity being deplatformed.

Predictably, the group here has a greater interest and concern for the hypothetical as opposed to the actual.

I mean, the NY Times hires an open racist, a decision defended in many quarters, but Alex Jones is deplatformed for violating "terms of service."
    You must be referring to Sarah Jeong. I think Fortune, a rather conservative publication, covers this well. I know a few Asian American women, I almost married one. The BS they go through cannot be believed.

http://fortune.com/2018/08/03/sarah-jeong/
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Look for Trump to read out Jeong's racist tweets at his next political rally and rhetorically ask the crowd if the NYT isn't the enemy of the people.

rhetorically ask the crowd if the NYT isn't the enemy of the people.
    isn't - uuh thats gonna catch em out. Trump hasn't had a good record with the use of n't.

That would be hilarious!
    Some will be shouting 'YES' and the rest will shout 'NO, I Mean YES, or NO I Mean NO or is it YES?'

But he can always correct history the next day.
    "People should be able to access these benefits [Social Welfare] as a matter of right, with no more loss of their own standards of self-respect than would be involved in collecting from an insurance company the proceeds of an endowment policy on which they have been paying premiums for years."

Look for Trump to read out Jeong's racist tweets at his next political rally and rhetorically ask the crowd if the NYT isn't the enemy of the people.
    Sure, he'll do that because he and his supporters are simpletons with no ability to understand irony or sarcasm and nuance.

But I'm a little confused as to which people the NYT is the enemy of. I mean, if as Trump said there are good people on the side of racists, and the NYT hired a racist, wouldn't that make the NYT the FRIEND of those good people, most of whom appear to be Trump supporters? If the NYT has truly hired a racist and many Trump supporters are racist, then shouldn't he really say that the NYT in hiring a racist has become a friend of Trump and his supporters? After all, wasn't it Trump himself who said that there were "good people' among the racists? He should be pleased that the NYT is siding with those racist "good people".
    I rather be an American than a Republican.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianY View Post
    Sure, he'll do that because he and his supporters are simpletons with no ability to understand irony or sarcasm and nuance.

But I'm a little confused as to which people the NYT is the enemy of.
    The inference being i suppose that anyone who feels informed by the NYT (one way or the other) is not one of the people?

These people (43% of self-identified Republicans, 21% of self-identified Independents, and 12% of self-identified Democrats) are a serious and dangerous threat to our form of government. This is a direct attack on freedom. Beware. These are dangerous times in the U.S.A. These people need to be treated with the contempt they deserve and need to be opposed at every turn.
    Last edited by Tom Montgomery; 08-08-2018 at 04:44 AM.
    War is peace.
    Freedom is slavery.
    Ignorance is strength.
    Trump is doing beautifully.

These people (43% of self-identified Republicans, 21% of self-identified Independents, and 12% of self-identified Democrats) are a serious and dangerous threat to our form of government. This is a direct attack on freedom. Beware. These are dangerous times in the U.S.A. These people need to be treated with the contempt they deserve and need to be opposed at every turn.

I just think we ought not speed past this.

The thing is this. This is the actual crux. Right here. Now. In our country where we have been for a long time justifiably proud of our commitment to Democracy, we are at the threshold of Old America becoming a fiction of the past, something about which to make poignant films.

tmrp is a black hole and we are approaching the event horizon. If we get our decent selves roused in time and answer this call to Democracy with it's own proper defense, we will save ourselves and our grandchildren tremendous misery and suffering. If trmp stays in power and the Rs in his cahoots make the changes he wants, that bannon and the mercers and et al wants, it will become too late to turn it around at all. We will have turned the America we grew up with into Idi Amin's Africa.
    I don't care to know what the tough do when the going gets tough.

I am interested in what the enlightened do.

Predictably, the group here has a greater interest and concern for the hypothetical as opposed to the actual.
    The Hypothetical is that it is a bad idea all around. Once you start censoring news, where do you stop and when does it start happening to the networks you like? Say for example, The Donald gets to Ban CNN. If he gets defeated in 2020, who is to say that a Democrat as President couldn't ban Fox? The people that are for banning certain news organizations cannot see past the end of their nose into exactly what a bad idea this is

-Dalai Lama

In the age of "media-bashing enthusiast" President Donald Trump—who regularly declares critical journalists and outlets "fake news" and "the enemy of the American people"—at least 43 percent of Republican respondents to a new survey said they believe "the president should have the authority to close news outlets engaged in bad behavior."
    This is nothing less than a call for dictatorship.

There's all kind of deplatforming going on right now. This is just a poll. I'm oddly unconcerned about it.

I just don't think deplatforming and censorship really works. It's the Obi-Wan problem. Tens of millions worldwide, people that had never heard of Alex Jones, now are aware of him today. He's truly a household name now, mostly because of being deplatformed. It's rather paradoxical.

I don't think you can deselect a market. The edgier and more taboo something becomes, the more people will want to explore it.
    1. Bury it in newspeak
    2. Not a big thing
    3. What about
    4. A good thing

All part of denying the right to a free press. Openly, if you get past the bull S.

Optional: claim you were just joking.

Not funny.
    Last edited by Osborne Russell; 08-08-2018 at 08:16 AM.
    He's a Mexican. -- Donald Trump.
    America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama. -- Governor Chris Christie (R) New Jersey
    It wasn't racism, it was an attack on Christianity. -- Fox News
    Crying white mothers are ratings gold. -- National Rifle Association

only 13% of Americans agree that “President Trump should close down mainstream news outlets, like CNN, the Washington Post and the New York Times.” Here less than a quarter of Republicans (23%) agree along with fewer than one in ten Democrats (8%).

You're reading too much into it, Lew. I don't have any particular emotion about recent events. Jones isn't going anywhere and the Times has normalized racist rhetoric. So yeah. It's Tuesday.

Trump's rhetoric is corrosive but it represents a hedge against the massive cultural and institutional power of the Left, which has, after all, demonstrated its power in deplatforming Jones. Still, I detect little celebration on the Left for this. It is as if they've released a monster to consume an enemy, but to have released it means it's still out there.
    I love the smell of deplatforming (not an actual verb) bigots, liars, boors, low lives and hate mongers in the morning. It smells like victory. I trust that's enough celebration for ya!
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

I have no problems with "platforms" like Google, Apple, Twitter or the like (WoodenBoat, even...) deciding what they'll host on their platform within their terms of service. That's their business. They didn't shut down a news outlet, and even Alex Jones himself has made the comment in court proceedings that he's an "entertainer". He's still free to say what he wants, but not wherever he wants to and not without consequences - just like the rest of us. That said, the Government shutting down independent news outlets is chilling beyond belief and a significant violation of the Constitution, IMO.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

I personally believe that it is problematic for our democracy that 90% of the stories about the Trump Administration as generated by elite media, are negative.

I believe as well that it is problematic that elite media is openly hostile to the administration, openly partisan, and has dispensed with any pretence of objectivity, while at the same time has generated reams of fake news.

This hostility, the sheer hatred demonstrated, especially in light of the compliant treatment shown Obama, is not lost on the people.

Sorry, but in light of these facts, on some level elite media is the enemy of the people. They know elite media is as hostile to them as it is to Trump.

Trump is just the first political figure to call it for what it is. We can have a good debate about whether he should do that, but his characterization isn't wrong.

Rightie propagandists and apologists like Sky Blue have to unplug their sarcasm meters and lift material out of context to take Jeong as an anti-white racist. But that's how they manufacture outrage.

"elite media"?

Nice to see a user title that is truth in advertising...
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    Rightie propagandists and apologists like Sky Blue have to unplug their sarcasm meters and lift material out of context to take Jeong as an anti-white racist. But that's how they manufacture outrage.
    Wow, Ian. You really have changed in these last two years. Enormously. Look at what you choose to defend now.

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

I personally believe that it is problematic for our democracy that 90% of the stories about the Trump Administration as generated by elite media, are negative.

And many of those stories are based on tapes at Trump's rallies, in the media during interviews etc. Apparently, Trump has a problem keeping his mouth shut SB so, in reality, who is to blame for the negative reports, Trump or the media who tapes his BS. Lies are easy to confirm. The NYT doesn't post much without verification, FOXNEWS has no issue posting anything without verification but, good old Crook in Chief calls the NYT fake news but, never FOXYNEWS because the entertainers on FOX, Hammity, Laura the Idiot, and Tucker kiss his butt.