Thread: Fox Kits

Default Fox Kits

IMG_2669.jpgHere's a couple of shots of our fox kits. I've taken better and will post them as well. These little guys are very difficult to photograph, skittish and very uncooperative in posing.

Shang has told you I'm a wildlife rehabber and I'm dead set against feeding wildlife but damn. They were close to death, little hips and ribs sticking out so I tossed out my rule. We feed very little though - We mix powdered goat's milk half strength and give them each a half cup with a little glob of cat food in the middle. Dessert first kinda thing.

They disappear right after that early breakfast. One pic above shows one of them conked out in the shade. Hard to see, especially sideways.

The background is of Shang's Tea House where his work out equipment lives. Its reached by going to the end of this deck and down about 4 steps to its deck. Both are cantilevered out from the hillside that leads down to the lake.

Sideways pic of another visitor. If we forget to bring in the hummingbird feeder, he will knock it down trying to get into it. We've actually seen a raccoon hanging from the feeder while it leaks juice down his front. Probably makes for interesting conversation when he gets home.

Sunset ^^^

IMG_2707.jpgIMG_2619.jpgIMG_2609.jpg
    IMG_0007.jpg

Default Re: Fox Kits

Nature can be brutal; wonder what happened to the parents. I've no idea how you support these kits, yet transition to independence. Actually, I"m talking about my kids.... :P
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Yeah, the goal is the same, isn't - teach them not to need you.

With mammals, If they're hand raised, its as though they have a little switch. Comes sexual maturity and they're wild. (Human kids again?) These two are very skittish and since they disappear except for mornings, and since we're not feeding enough for them survive and grow, we're assuming they're hunting.

We've seen only one adult recently but that doesn't mean there aren't more. When I lived in the Sonora desert, I would hear people say things like 'I've lived out here for 25 years and ain't seen no rattlesnakes'. Its like Harry and the Henderson's ... doesn't mean they haven't seen you.

Thank you for posting this.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post
    Thank you for posting this.
    +1

No matter what reservations there may be in getting involved with wild animals - it would be very, very hard to ignore the suffering of these beautiful young creatures.
    "Mozart is the heart's touchstone" (Edwin Fischer)

Thought this was a thread featuring the Fox Ultralight aircraft kit.

Hurricane damage - too close for comfort. Live wire in a water puddle, just in front of the garage. Highway crews came by and set the garage upright again.
    Shang has probably told you he bakes bread ... Here's Olaf, just loafing around. (That's his joke, not mine)
    At the bottom, not for arachnophobes or the squeamish. I'll let Shang tell you about that.

IMG_2756.jpg
    IMG_2755.jpg

IMG_2759.jpg

IMG_2761.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mayhaps the most adorable young animals I’ve seen. I adore the stocking feet. Or, are they boots?

Thank you.

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    Nature can be brutal; wonder what happened to the parents. I've no idea how you support these kits, yet transition to independence. Actually, I"m talking about my kids.... :P
    Exactly my thinking.

At the beginning, they looked so bad, I was considering trapping them. But, I'd rather not do that. Its very hard on the animal and can lead to a condition called capture myopathy. An animal can look okay but suddenly die. I've had them die in my hands. Also, an animal can be released and die later.

In any event, I can take just about anything except a hurt or starving animal. For better or worse, we're helping them along and I'm hoping I'm correct that feeding just enough to give them a boost is encouraging them to hunt.

Oh, almost forgot, one went after a squirrel on our deck and caught him by the tail. Degloved the tail and squirrel lived to taunt the fox another day. We're now seeing the squirrel with what Shang calls his five o'clock shadow tail.

Thanks for the nice reception of these picks. It really does mean a lot to both of us.

Great thread. Thanks.

You have a regular cricket farm going there. I suspect your new friends like that.
    The best statement I've seen from this latest carnage came from a student who lived through it -

"My generation will not allow this to continue!"

Remember voting age is 18. Read it and weep reds.

About the picture of all of the spiders, Brown Recluse spiders are common here so we generally ignore them, but just for the heck of it we bought a package of stickey-spider traps. It's unfortunate that the collateral crickets got caught, but so did a wholebighellofalot of spiders who found their way into the traps. We've now put out all of the traps from the first batch, and we're ordered another dozen.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Scheuer View Post
    Thought this was a thread featuring the Fox Ultralight aircraft kit.
    Here ya go ...
    I hope you'll post a photo when you finish it.

kitfox-lyc-on-the-nose.jpg

When I was a kid in Canada our superstition was "Kill a spider and make it rain" so we avoided it as much as possible (though we made an exception for indoors critters). To this day I avoid killing them as they are pretty good for insect control.

Actually, we have a capture and release policy for everything except rodents and scorpions.

"HONEY! COME GET THIS BUG!!"
    The best statement I've seen from this latest carnage came from a student who lived through it -

"My generation will not allow this to continue!"

Remember voting age is 18. Read it and weep reds.

.... and... does she do it?
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

If it comes down to it I think you'll find, as many have, that foxes make pretty good family members.

Thanks for the nice reception of these picks. It really does mean a lot to both of us.
    thanks for taking care of our little friends..

and you know you'll have no mouse problems going forward!

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Etheridge View Post
    If it comes down to it I think you'll find, as many have, that foxes make pretty good family members.
    Foxes are smart and curious, and they can easily be "trained" to come to you, and to take food from your hands. They can be outdoor family members, but not indoor or close-range pets.
    They are wild animals, and they will bite. The treatment for rabies is no joke, the disease can be fatal
    Then too, If you try to make a pet from a fox you're not doing the fox any favor. This morning we saw little "Black Feet" fox exploring in our front yard, near the road where cars can, and often do, deliberately run down wild animals.
    Last edited by Shang; 08-07-2018 at 07:45 PM.

Friendly people.

If you can handle or trap them you can take them in to be immunized and dewormed and even apply the flea and tick drops between the shoulders.

Not suggesting that she actively pursue making pets of them, she would need to have bottle fed them and had them neutered before reaching sexual maturity for that to be anything like successful.

Last summer I watched as a wolf pup who was smaller than the rest was not growing at the same rate as her siblings. I could have fed her and made her "mine", but I knew better. Then again, if I knew I would be out in the bush full time for the life of the wolf I don't think I could have resisted. Like the missus, "In any event, I can take just about anything except a hurt or starving animal". I resisted, even though it was truly heartbreaking. I expect that winter took it's toll.

It seems that if there's enough food to support 7 pups they'll produce 8. I blame Chuck Darwin for that. Heartless bugger, but eminently practical.

As for the biting, I had a pet coon once. He would bite. You get used to it. Once he reached sexual maturity he moved out and never came back.

It may just happen that those kits will always be there, and it could be worse. I expect that rehabbers often wind up permanently sheltering orphans. They're the kind of people who have really big hearts.

Good on you missus, and thank you. It's good to know that you're looking out for them.

And oh yeah, I once had a neighbor in rural Connecticut who fed several foxes, chicken, I think, every morning in her back yard. She had been doing that for years and it didn't seem to be doing any harm.

Fox kits are fine and all but I prefer to build 'em from scratch.

(seriously, thanks for the pictures. I like foxes and the little ones are mighty cute. I hope you can keep the alive but still wild)
    I rather be an American than a Republican.

Fascinating , we don't have anything like that here.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

We gottem here.
    I like foxes, they're a treat to see in Ireland.
    Here in Oz but - they just represent death and destruction of native animals. Not as bad as cats, by a small margin, but between them they'll have caused the massive wave of extinction of small lizards and marsupials that's close to being confirmed (50 years no sighting).
    Mate of mine went shooting foxes recently, on one small patch he killed 36 in an afternoons messin about. (which only leads to more rabbits........ Intractable).
    Philip K. Dick — 'Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away'.

Mom and Dad's fox hunt - horses, hounds and tallyho - was one of the first deliberately no-kill hunts in this country. Dad managed our land for sustained timber and hunting. He gave exclusive bow and firearms hunting rights to the local rod and gun club, effectively gaining armed guards. Dad also took care of the "care and feeding" of the landowners over whose property they rode, spreading his gospel of mixed use eco-management.

And now to the point - one reason local farmers adored Dad was that if there was a cow down and dead in any field, the farmer could just call Mac. Dad would trundle over with his tractor and a trailer, load the carcass, and drop it convenient to a fox den. He knew them all.

Like coyotes, foxes adapt very well to human dominated ecosystems. When I get out and about early in Hyannis Port and Chatham, I know our local residents. In Hyannis Port, there is a vixen who had a regular route along the Fortes Beach. It's easy to track her movements by the succession of summer dogs who wake up their households baying at her. In Chatham I have seen both foxes and coyotes crossing downtown Main Street just after dawn. I'm not at all sure why, but it seems that foxes have accommodated, not been displaced by, coyotes.

As with bird feeders, letting your cats roam outdoors, and garbage management, one should think through the ecology and how to contribute to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Etheridge View Post
    If you can handle or trap them you can take them in to be immunized and dewormed and even apply the flea and tick drops between the shoulders.

Not suggesting that she actively pursue making pets of them, she would need to have bottle fed them and had them neutered before reaching sexual maturity for that to be anything like successful.

Last summer I watched as a wolf pup who was smaller than the rest was not growing at the same rate as her siblings. I could have fed her and made her "mine", but I knew better. Then again, if I knew I would be out in the bush full time for the life of the wolf I don't think I could have resisted. Like the missus, "In any event, I can take just about anything except a hurt or starving animal". I resisted, even though it was truly heartbreaking. I expect that winter took it's toll.

It seems that if there's enough food to support 7 pups they'll produce 8. I blame Chuck Darwin for that. Heartless bugger, but eminently practical.

As for the biting, I had a pet coon once. He would bite. You get used to it. Once he reached sexual maturity he moved out and never came back.

It may just happen that those kits will always be there, and it could be worse. I expect that rehabbers often wind up permanently sheltering orphans. They're the kind of people who have really big hearts.

Good on you missus, and thank you. It's good to know that you're looking out for them.

And oh yeah, I once had a neighbor in rural Connecticut who fed several foxes, chicken, I think, every morning in her back yard. She had been doing that for years and it didn't seem to be doing any harm.
    I've been a wildlife rehabber for a lot of years and one the saddest things I've seen is people bringing in wild animals they thought would make a good pet.

When I was a kid, my dad taught me that whatever it is that a wild animal does in the wild, it will continue to do in captivity in your home. I've had a skunk tear up my bathroom floor because digging for grubs is an instinctual imperative for them.

They will also always have certain personality traits that cannot be changed. Wolves will always be skittish and fearful and they are incredible escape artists. Sexual maturity turns them into a completely different animal. I remember one woman who was desperate to get her wolf-dog mix out of her home because he was stalking and had bitten her young child. She actually believed there was some magical sanctuary where he could live out his life happily playing with other wolf-dog mixes. Yes, there are sanctuaries and they are over-flowing with animals, many of whom are actually insane.

Foxes are so intelligent, very high energy and they will most probably wreck your home. There's a link below to one of a series of videos a fox owner made to show what its like living with a fox.

IMO, if we love this or that species, we should work to save their habitat in the wild and work to keep them off the T&E list (threatened or endangered)

The heart breaker is that tamed wild animals will never live a natural or normal life. Most can never be rehabbed and returned to the wild. Neither can they be placed in a zoo or sanctuary.

About coyotes, foxes and other animals that live side-by side with humans. They're opportunists. They've learned they can live off our garbage. You can bet that every single animal that's considered a pest is actually a species we support - rodents and pigeons are among them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ik8KEe9tGZ4&t=19s

Last spring we saw a coyote standing 3 feet at the shoulder, easily.

They are so beautiful.

Peace,
    Robert

If you Google it, you will find there are about 10,000 Red Foxes in the city of London, alone. They do very well in urban areas. I don't feel they need our help, and they are, after all, "wild animals".
    \"Of all the things I\'ve lost, I miss my mind the most.\"

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post

Like coyotes, foxes adapt very well to human dominated ecosystems. When I get out and about early in Hyannis Port and Chatham, I know our local residents. In Hyannis Port, there is a vixen who had a regular route along the Fortes Beach. It's easy to track her movements by the succession of summer dogs who wake up their households baying at her. In Chatham I have seen both foxes and coyotes crossing downtown Main Street just after dawn. I'm not at all sure why, but it seems that foxes have accommodated, not been displaced by, coyotes.
    Not long ago I read a news item about a perplexed rural community somewhere near here. Shoes - any shoes - that were left outside for any reason kept disappearing.

The mystery was solved when a farmer came across an earth inhabited by a vixen. The earth was crammed with shoes of every description. All the disappeared shoes were recovered. Quite what prompted the vixen to become a thief and hoarder of shoes will probably never be known.

The contribution of my two rescue cats, who do go outside during the day, but don't go far, is the capture of the occasional mouse. Nine time out of ten they (the mice) are unharmed and I am able to catch them and return them to the bosom of their families. But the mice are obviously intended as gifts for me. On one occasion I woke up to find a mouse, which must have been caught the previous day, laid carefully at my bedside. Perhaps they thought I deserved a treat and had decided to bring me breakfast in bed.

This pair (bonded brothers from the same litter) have lived with me for nearly four years and have never, to my knowledge, caught a bird.
    "Mozart is the heart's touchstone" (Edwin Fischer)

Quote Originally Posted by downthecreek View Post
    Not long ago I read a news item about a perplexed rural community somewhere near here. Shoes - any shoes - that were left outside for any reason kept disappearing.

The mystery was solved when a farmer came across an earth inhabited by a vixen. The earth was crammed with shoes of every description. All the disappeared shoes were recovered. Quite what prompted the vixen to become a thief and hoarder of shoes will probably never be known.

The contribution of my two rescue cats, who do go outside during the day, but don't go far, is the capture of the occasional mouse. Nine time out of ten they (the mice) are unharmed and I am able to catch them and return them to the bosom of their families. But the mice are obviously intended as gifts for me. On one occasion I woke up to find a mouse, which must have been caught the previous day, laid carefully at my bedside. Perhaps they thought I deserved a treat and had decided to bring me breakfast in bed.

This pair (bonded brothers from the same litter) have lived with me for nearly four years and have never, to my knowledge, caught a bird.

All my cats come when called by name, except the deaf one. They are all “mousers” and “ratters”, but are actively discouraged from “birding”. The pup scares every bird away, now, anyway, but on rare occasions...

Just yesterday Boy Cat was out in the front yard, lounging in the midst of feeding doves. They were doing about in the yard, while he snoozed unconcernedly.

I have seen the same cat drag a gopher from a hole with his paw/claws, though, so I know he’s fierce.

There was also the rat tail file file incident. I reached to pick up the rat tail file I had somehow dropped on the garage floor...
    Right. NOT a file.

Peace,
    Robert

P.S. It took the kittens about a week to learn their names. They will come thundering if called, though they tend to stick together.

We had a lot of fox at one time. Then, about 15 years ago they all apparently got the mange. Now, we have much fewer fox around --I maybe see five or six a year--but they do not seem to have that mangy look any more.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Life ain't a Disney movie.

But we did the same thing with a baby raccoon once. (Mother killed by a car.) It was tame and fun until puberty hit, then it had to go outside. It stayed in the yard for a while, with us feeding it meagerly, then disappeared for periods. Eventually, gone.

I think it may still be in the neighbourhood. My garbage gets visited by a coon who gives me a "look".

It's always wise to know your local rabies vectors and the state of wildlife oral rabies vaccination (ORV) for your area. Around here, it's raccoons. Rabies made the Commonwealth in the early '90s but aggressive ORV buffer effort on the mainland side of the Canal kept it off Cape for a decade. But Gov. Romney decided to save a few thousand and with the ORV funding cut off, it took only a year for a raccoon carrier to be found in Bourne. Two years later it was in every Cape town. We now have a vigorous ORV program across the Cape that's starting to contain. It all reminded me of how Mom and Dad were involved as volunteers in early ORV field tests in the '80s. Those baits are some ripe!

The only thing to do with foxes is shoot the bastards. Over here they are a hugely destructive feral pest.