Thread: Bunk set up on new trailer.

Default Bunk set up on new trailer.

I found a trailer to use for the small 3 chine stitch and glue catboat I'm building. It needs to be converted and fitted. A lot of general information about power boats and larger boats.

Specifically for a small catboat with chines; how far forward should the bunk go as it follows the curve of the hull? Should the skeg rest on a keel roller or hang? This boat has a flat curved bottom. Do I support the bottom as well or let the weight spread along the side bunks?

Was great price for the trailer. Bearings were shot, one was dry and protested loudly. One hub came off, the other refused, and by the time a torch and the biggest hammer I own didn't work, I realized I had bent the spindle. Replacement comes in a week or so.

Thanks

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Default Re: Bunk set up on new trailer.

Consider building a wooden flatbed on the trailer? Get er on and pop a few fenders under her sides and fore n aft.
    The problem with making bunks that support a rockered boat is getting it off n on easily without having to sink the trailer.
    A ply boat with chines is gonna be pretty stiff I'm thinking.
    Photo of the boat and trailer?
    bruce

If my pics load correctly then this shows the trailer and the shape of the hull as she stands now. It's been a slow but steady progress since buying plans last October. Looking forward to turning the hull again and focus on the inside.

I'm sure I'm over thinking this, it's going to be a fairly light boat once done. Which makes me lean towards letting the skeg hang versus sit on a keel roller. This boat will live on the trailer if not wet so adequate support is my minimum.

Bruce, were you suggesting to attach a cradle to the trailer frame? And have pads support at the frames both sides?
    Attached Images Attached Images

i might suggest using transverse bunks that match the shape of the hull

3 would work

one stationed on each trailer x-member

hull CG located about 10-15% fwd of axle

while she is bottomside upwards would be a perfect time to create the shapes from cardboard or door skin material to be transfered to 2x10's or 2x12's while you wait for something else you have going to cure

fwd & center bunks cradle the hull up to the 2nd chine while the aft bunk simply supports the bottom only

while you are at it... fitting a 2x12 walkboard painted w/ a nonskid finish down the center of the trailer(thru or under the bunks) would make loading and unloading way more drier

IMHO longitudinal bunks are not friendly to the shape you are wishing to protect during transit/storage

just this old man's 2 worth

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

That trailer should work just fine as is. The roller will be good for while you're winching it on, then the forward longitudinal bunks will support the forward bottom while the side bunks can be adjusted to keep it from tipping. The roller and forward bunks will take what little weight there is, the side bunks will just be stabilizers.

You'll want to strap it down nice and snug fore and aft.

Thanks for the input Steve! I've decided to build a cradle. Should the skeg rest on the keel roller or let it hang and support with the transom bunks?

Thanks Gib, and Steve for their replies. I've decided to go with a cradle. I'll update once the hull gets flipped on the trailer.

Bruce the Wizbang has it right. Put the weight on the keel. Lightly support the hull just enough to keep her upright. A wooden hull that is point loaded on bunks will get destroyed over time.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.