Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Craic
    • Nov 2006

Re: Wire or synthetic standing rig?

I forgot to mention something tangential, pro synthetic.: Initially I replaced all trailer winch wire with the wide black winching straps. To avoid the dangerous kinking of wire strands. But since I learned about Dyneema I also use Dyneema on my trailer winch drum instead of the old black webbing strap.
    And that has an interesting and most welcome side effect.: The winching force goes down noticeably. Why?: With the old wide straps, the drum fills up quickly, and the winching purchase goes down. To a point where the winching force (on the handle) can become unbearable. (Happened to me last week while trying to winch up a neighbours water-filled Lugger.)

By comparison, using 5-6mm Dyneema instead of the wide webbing strap fills the drum much slower, so the winch loses purchase much less in the process of winching up the boat.

-Hope I made myself clear enough . C

Comment

• FF
      • Oct 2005

I used dyneema recently in a jib that is set flying. The splices allways look very neat. In the past it would have been wire.

Comment

• Small boats rock
        Senior Remember
        • Jul 2017

Yes Craic your explanation makes sense. Useful observation.

Thanks to all the positive comments re synthetic I have been persuaded to see if this old dog can learn some new tricks. I have placed an order for Dynice dux. If it doesn't work out I can always go back to good old wire (preferably galv).
        Originally posted by wizbang 13
        I set them in with a yankee screwdriver that I inherited from my godfather Jesus Muhammod Herreschoff in 1848.It has the original red oak handle.Alas, the rest of it rusted away and was replaced with an impact driver.

Comment

• PeterSibley
          • Dec 2001

Has anyone ever used poured zinc wire rope ens with galv wire ? They seem the obvious solution.

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
          Grateful Dead

Comment

• Jay Greer
            • Nov 2004

When I was a kid, my father had the local boat yard put in a new upper shroud on his boat using a poured zinc fitting. Three years later the wire pulled out of the terminal fitting and dad was forced to have a new mast built.
            If a poured zinc fitting is used, it should have the end of the cable splayed out and the strands turned back like fish hooks before the pour.
            That was a lesson that was learned the hard way!
            Jay

Comment

• PeterSibley
              • Dec 2001

Originally posted by Jay Greer
              When I was a kid, my father had the local boat yard put in a new upper shroud on his boat using a poured zinc fitting. Three years later the wire pulled out of the terminal fitting and dad was forced to have a new mast built.
              If a poured zinc fitting is used, it should have the end of the cable splayed out and the strands turned back like fish hooks before the pour.
              That was a lesson that was learned the hard way!
              Jay
              Agreed Jay, I've read that advice elsewhere.
              '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
              Grateful Dead

Comment

• Small boats rock
                Senior Remember
                • Jul 2017

Thanks to this thread I was emboldened to play with synthetic rigging. A glimpse of the result can be seen in this photo.

synthetic1.jpg

I've used 6mm heat treated UHMWPE (dyneema dux), fully served with 2mm polyester lacing and painted with single pack alkyd. Black is traditional, but white will keep the temperature lower. Since DSM says the fibre can be damaged at temperatures as low as 70degC I decided keeping the rig cool was important if this stuff is to last. For some reason I haven't taken any good photos of the rig yet. When I do I'll add some more to my 'perigee' thread.
                Originally posted by wizbang 13
                I set them in with a yankee screwdriver that I inherited from my godfather Jesus Muhammod Herreschoff in 1848.It has the original red oak handle.Alas, the rest of it rusted away and was replaced with an impact driver.

Comment

• peb
                  Papist and Texan
                  • Feb 2004

Nice job. Your picture has me curious, you are using a through bolt for the forestay and hoops for the bowsprit shrouds (and bobstay?) as opposed to a cranse iron. I like this idea. Question to yourself and others, is this a common practice? What size boat would it work on?

Comment

• gilberj
                    • Aug 2010

My first response was pretty much the same as Ian's. There is little cost advantage to galvanized wire over stainless. Terminal ends are neat and efficient and when compared to splicing are really attractive. Having said that a skilled rigger can do a very neat splice quickly and easily. I probably have not spliced wire in 20 or 25 years. I'd probably have to practice several times before doing one to put into service.
                    I note Moitessier used wire "bulldog" clamps to do his rigging, and swore by them. He considered them to be the reason he did not loose his rig...twice..... during his "Long Way" circumnavigation.
                    I am very interested in the synthetic solution. I always assumed it was probably much more expensive, and would be vulnerable to damage or failure in other ways such as chafe. I'll probably be looking at replacing the standing rigging in the next few years, and will consider this as an alternative.

Comment

• kbowen
                      • May 2010

Ignore this if too much off topic for you, Has anyone used powder coated wire? I am a recovering theatre techie with a heap of 3/16" black powder-coated steel 7x19, I took one length of it and hung it on a fence last August to see how it weathers and it looks fine so far. They use this for counterweight and winch systems where it runs over sheaves and on grooved winch drums under load for a living. As a sometimes theatre rigger, I also have a full set of Nicopress tools to splice the stuff. I like that the wire is black and a slight slush of something might seal it well enough for the Great Lakes and make it look funky. I thought if I served near the ends with tarred marlin it would seal and hide the nico fittings. Thoughts?

Ken

Comment

Working...