Thread: Avila 12' garvey

Default Avila 12' garvey

Just purchased Avila 12' Garvey Dory plans from Spira International. Been browsing his website and many others for a long time. If anyone has built this ply-on-frame boat, or another garvey from Spira, please use this thread. Advice, pics, experiences, suggestions, mods, and techniques welcome. PLEASE do not use this thread to discuss other boats.

gl_avil.jpg27459722_1990319337957558_4295652666083987571_n.jpg

Default Re: Avila 12' garvey

Got some free time during the weekend and decided to build a model of the boat. Scale 1" = 1':

Avila Model stronback.jpg

Avila Frames.jpg

Avila plywood planking.jpg

Avila interior.jpg

Avila before paint.jpg

Nice model. Always a good thing to prepare the mind for the full size craft.

shouldn't this thread be called the Avila 12" garvey?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Thank you Skaraborgcraft.

What I've learned from building this model:

1. Boatbuilding is complicated, even building a 3 dimensional "box" is a pain in the arse, and you have to always think 2-3 steps ahead to avoid disaster. I praise other builders on this site who have taken on more intricate and beautiful projects.
    2. When you start talking to yourself, it's time to take a break.
    3. Maybe I should just buy a dinghy, either way, my Wife is going to be pissed.

Questions:

1. Wouldn't a ladder frame be better? I assume you would benefit from a more level, stable and symmetrical platform.
    2. Could the designer have included bevel angles in the plans? I would rather cut the transom and frame parts on my table saw before assembly.
    3. Although heavier, can I build this boat with solid Transoms and plank the sides? The build may be more manageable and I could use a router for the edges. Another New Jersey native has discussed a cedar planked Gravey on this website, but could not find any plans.
    4. I know there has been countless discussions on the subject, but as a first time builder, should I used PL premium or Titebond III glue for assembly rather than epoxy. I am intimidated by epoxy (Think I am going to practice on some small pieces when I get the chance).