Thread: Great Video - SognaFaering

Default Great Video - SognaFaering

I thought this was a great video on building a Sognafaering. I understand little of the Norwegian I'm assuming but I learned a lot on the building aspect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2t8UAMrgXA

Default Re: Great Video - SognaFaering

Yes, a great video. Thanks for posting it.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

I live in Norway, but have never discovered this video. Thanks! I love the way he is using the axe...

Fred

Lovely!
    While completely different, it kinda reminded me of this Swedish build from early 70ties.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o4Ilg2LICM

/Mats
    My blog about my time as a boat building student, a rigger apprentice and Journeyman http://kaptenmohsart.blogspot.se/

Quote Originally Posted by Fredostli View Post
    I live in Norway, but have never discovered this video. Thanks! I love the way he is using the axe...

Fred
    +1 on the axe-handling

When I finished my apprenticeship in Norway, the first tools I needed to add to my box were a ‘snekker °ks’, (carpenters axe), and some riveting hammers. The axe was closer to hatchet length, razor sharp, and symmetrical. It was used for making plank scarfs, shaping the lapped frames, we used it to rough out the notches in the 2” thick covering boards to accept the straight laid decking nibs, hewing the hollow garboards, etc.
    It was a very common tool in a house carpenters kit, amazing how quick things can be shaped once you have the hang of the tool.
    This tool is also somewhat self teaching, it is all about the angle of attack between the blade and the workpiece. If your angle was too shallow the blade bounced away, performing no work. If the angle was too obtuse the blade would bite into the workpiece. When the angle of attack was ‘just right’ you could follow a chip right through, even shaving razor thin pieces as you got close to your marked line.

My paternal grandfather was also a carpenter, and he came from the old school of doing things. Everything was brace and bit, miter box, planes, draw knives, and various hand saws. When I asked him why he did not use the powered tools like dad did, he responded "little guy, I don't use those power tools, because they are noisy, they use electricity, and I have been building things without electricity just as my father did and his father before him. He typically framed everything in 4x4s as I recall.
    Last edited by Johnywallter; 08-11-2018 at 03:29 PM.

There is a popular story around here that goes something like
    First I saw, then I use the drawknife, and finally I use the handplane. Then the master comes and perfects it with his axe.

/Mats
    My blog about my time as a boat building student, a rigger apprentice and Journeyman http://kaptenmohsart.blogspot.se/

nice video,thanks for posting

I believe it is shared before, but this video is related :-) I was a bit surprised they use a Lug-rig, and I need to learn more about that...