Thread: Something for the antiquarians:

Default Something for the antiquarians:

Attachment 20593

A person who found my website requested some information on a recent auction acquisition from the San Francisco area, attributed to the Gump Store's family collection; a "sea chest" which had a most interesting interior, but whose lid is somewhat confusing, so I bring it to you to look at for your comments.

Attachment 20591

The auction description called the ship (what a surprise!) a "clipper" ship. Sure.

The chest allegedly dates from "The Regency Period" but I doubt it a lot. This is supposed to be a six-board chest but I suspect that this lid is a replacement "table-top" style five-board construction. The caps on the ends and the lower crack athwartships the lid are, for me, definite indications, but whatever you may think, I'd appreciate your excoriations.

BUT the incredible part of the chest (also described as a "shipwright's chest") is the interior. I'm still getting more information on it, but if that was a shipwright's chest, he was the neatest man who ever sailed a deck.

Attachment 20592

Anyway, your opinions are sought.

Default Re: Something for the antiquarians:

OK. What did I do wrong attaching photos?

Wow! Is all I can say about the interior. The exterior,..... well,. I hope it is something close to original, but it looks quite like something from a “Homegoods” interior decorator store.

Nice tool chest, but it's empty. Any lettering on the red oval at the bottom?

Quote Originally Posted by Vince Brennan View Post
    OK. What did I do wrong attaching photos?
    Maybe didn't click the "Insert in line" button?

Cool chest.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green