Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst ... 234 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 105 of 445

Thread: The Strange Death of Europe - a discussion about mass migration

  1. #71
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Northern NSW Australia
    Posts
    71,291

    Default Re: The Strange Death of Europe - a discussion about mass migration

    That was in light of your comparisons between welcome migrants, like Australia's inflow over the last 70 years and those who came uninvited 200 years earlier.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

  2. #72
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Walney, near Cumbria UK
    Posts
    40,127

    Default Re: The Strange Death of Europe - a discussion about mass migration

    Quote Originally Posted by on the border View Post
    3

    Again, there is a huge difference between immigration designed to maintain and expand the quality of life for a community, and simply being overrun by hordes of barbarians. No one has a god-given "right" to protect anything but that's how us mammals are made. We have communities and we try to keep them somewhat in line with our ethics and values.

    Stoning women to death because their brother-in-law happened to see their face is not one of my values. Those are not values I want in my neighborhood. If that's what you want, then we will have to disagree and take it to the polls. And if you win, I leave. You are welcome to that society, but I would suggest you try living in some of these places before you open the doors to people you don't understand. You might be in for a shock.
    By all that is holy

    U R Silly
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

    The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

  3. #73
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Los Angeles CA USA
    Posts
    93

    Default Re: The Strange Death of Europe - a discussion about mass migration

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    That was in light of your comparisons between welcome migrants, like Australia's inflow over the last 70 years and those who came uninvited 200 years earlier.
    So this means you agree with BigFella, that the people who follow the rules and come "as invited" should be treated correctly, while the uninvited ones need to be guarded against at gunpoint ?

    Cool. We are making progress

  4. #74
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Northern NSW Australia
    Posts
    71,291

    Default Re: The Strange Death of Europe - a discussion about mass migration

    Completely wrong, but don't bother yourself about it.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

  5. #75
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    2,212

    Default Re: The Strange Death of Europe - a discussion about mass migration

    Quote Originally Posted by on the border View Post
    300 years ago, with a documented history of getting along with the Indians and ... umm ... "mingling." One killed by Joseph Brant, but he said it was an accident, didn't realize who he was shooting at. Personally, I am a native. I am not an immigrant. No we are not "all immigrants."

    If you want to get ridiculous, everyone but Lucy is an immigrant. However, in practice it seems more rational to admit that people who have lived in one spot on the planet for a few hundred years are no longer immigrants.

    Again, there is a huge difference between immigration designed to maintain and expand the quality of life for a community, and simply being overrun by hordes of barbarians. No one has a god-given "right" to protect anything but that's how us mammals are made. We have communities and we try to keep them somewhat in line with our ethics and values.

    Stoning women to death because their brother-in-law happened to see their face is not one of my values. Those are not values I want in my neighborhood. If that's what you want, then we will have to disagree and take it to the polls. And if you win, I leave. You are welcome to that society, but I would suggest you try living in some of these places before you open the doors to people you don't understand. You might be in for a shock.
    That's a very odd post. I didn't say we are all immigrants so why did you bother to dispute it? It's about as odd as your claim to know where most people on this forum live.

    Your ancestor's way of life is likely to have more shocking and foreign to the native Americans as the typical refugee's life is to yours. So why was it OK for your ancestors to enter California, but not for other people to do so?

    Yes, the time that has elapsed since those events could perhaps be of relevance, but in practice it seems more rational to admit that you have a very strong reason to be biased when you claim that it gives you the right to stop other people doing what your ancestors did.

    What makes your posts bizarre is that you leap to the belief that a significant number of refugees want to stone women to death, and that anyone here supports their right to do so. The line about "hordes of barbarians" makes it appear that you are simply a racist.
    Has BigFella and SkyBlue on ignore.

  6. #76
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Los Angeles CA USA
    Posts
    93

    Default Re: The Strange Death of Europe - a discussion about mass migration

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Completely wrong ...
    Well, now I am confused. You just said, about three posts up, that the invited immigrants, the ones over the past 70 years, are cool. But the uninvited ones of 200 years ago (closer to 100 years in the US, Chief Joseph died in 1904) were dangerous but since you are "armed to the teeth" and "have quite a good army" there is no reason to fear the uninvited immigrants.

    So all I can conclude is that you feel the uninvited ones are dangerous but it's not a problem since you are "armed to the teeth" and in a position to repel them. But the invited ones are okay, in fact even good.

    Ergo, BigFella is correct. People who follow the process are cool. People who do not are not, and should be guarded against.

    Where did I go wrong ?

  7. #77
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Walney, near Cumbria UK
    Posts
    40,127

    Default Re: The Strange Death of Europe - a discussion about mass migration

    Quote Originally Posted by on the border View Post

    Where did I go wrong ?
    Posting crap with your brain in neutral?

    Basing your opinions on received bull**** and unfounded assumptions rather than knowledge?
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

    The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

  8. #78
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    4,458

    Default Re: The Strange Death of Europe - a discussion about mass migration

    Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    The idea we need highly fertile immigrants to save our society is nuts. But then again liberals have been arguing we need them to pick our vegetables and do jobs we donít do. So yeah, I understand the mentality.
    Again it's not an ideology, it's just a fact

    See

    https://worldview.stratfor.com/artic...t-economy-hard

    And

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sub-replacement_fertility

  9. #79
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Livin' in Oz
    Posts
    56,022

    Default Re: The Strange Death of Europe - a discussion about mass migration

    Quote Originally Posted by on the border View Post
    So this means you agree with BigFella, that the people who follow the rules and come "as invited" should be treated correctly, while the uninvited ones need to be guarded against at gunpoint ?

    Cool. We are making progress
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Completely wrong, but don't bother yourself about it.
    Actually, he's onto something there. You seem to prattle on with words, which when they are shown to have a certain meaning.... you run away from them, but without any reasoning on your part.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

  10. #80
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Los Angeles CA USA
    Posts
    93

    Default Re: The Strange Death of Europe - a discussion about mass migration

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris249 View Post
    That's a very odd post. I didn't say we are all immigrants so why did you bother to dispute it?
    Just shortening the sequence. It was coming next. It always comes next.

    It's about as odd as your claim to know where most people on this forum live.
    Mm-hmm. Hate to tell you this but most people in the US do not have $50,000 worth of tools in their garage and 35 foot wood boats they put twelve coats of varnish on. Look through the photos. Read the threads about "the market" and "my investments". This is gated-community-land. That's not meant as a slur or anything, just a statement of fact. Like, I'm blue collar, working guy, callouses, dirty hands. That doesn't make me a star nor does it make me scum. It's just a statement.

    But it does mean that I am more likely to sympathize with the working class of the US, while the investors amongst us are less likely to. You can verify that by readong the anguished screams cf Mr Trump. I don't like the guy either but he didn't strangle my mom like you people act. That's a class thing not a policy thing. At least I can understand where Trumpists are coming from. You guys don't even try.

    Your ancestor's way of life is likely to have more shocking and foreign to the native Americans as the typical refugee's life is to yours.
    Wrong on both counts. My ancestors lived in the midst of the Indians and got along well. Then more people came and it got too crowded and that was the end of that. But no one was shocked on either side. Otherwise there'd have been less "mingling"

    And I am not "shocked" by life in the middle east, either. I don't like it and don't want it here. Sorry. I have that right. Do you have any idea what people in those societies actually think or how they really behave ? I am not saying "they are evil we need to wipe them off the face of the earth." That's what the army does and I would cut the army to ribbons in a heartbeat if I had veto power. But saying "No I don't want our society to be like that" is not the same thing at all.

    So why was it OK for your ancestors to enter California, but not for other people to do so?
    OK is not what I am saying. It wasn't "OK" as if God said, "Sure, go take it." It was okay in the sense that people did it. And the Indians were totally justified in saying "This is NOT OK" and driving them off.

    They way it worked out, the Indians should never have allowed them settlers to land. If they had annihilated every Pilgrim and Puritan they saw, they'd have been better off. I have a big feast on George Custer Day.

    So how about we learn something from this and don't follow their example ?

    Yes, the time that has elapsed since those events could perhaps be of relevance, but in practice it seems more rational to admit that you have a very strong reason to be biased when you claim that it gives you the right to stop other people doing what your ancestors did.
    You miss the point entirely. Let me go to all caps : THE INDIANS HAD THE RIGHT TO ANNIHILATE EVERY WHITE MAN THEY SAW. IT'S A MATTER OF SURVIVAL.

    Nobody, anywhere, is saying "I have the right to say no but the Indians did not." The Chinese had the right to repel the Japs. The east europeans had the right to repel Attila. The Visigoths had the right to repel the Romans. The Aztecs should have obliterated Cortez. I have no idea where you guys come up with this weirdo "Your ancestors were bad people so you have to roam the earth helpless forever." "Right" has nothing to do with it.

    What makes your posts bizarre is that you leap to the belief that a significant number of refugees want to stone women to death,
    Judging by real-world evidence, they do. Women in the middle east don't get stoned to death by one lone guy off in the mountains somewhere. It takes a lot of people. Or to paraphrase Hillary, It Takes a Village to Stone a Flirt. And unwanted wives in India get pushed into tandoori ovens. Women commonly get gang-raped in India. Women in Arab countries are treated worse than dirt. These are the places you want to import to my home.

    No thanks.

    and that anyone here supports their right to do so.
    That's what you are doing. Diversity, ya know. Multi-cultural. Freedom of religion. Well, their culturalism and their religion say stoning women is cool. And they do it. You don't even want to hear what Afghans do. Not the furry dogs, the people. You think catholic priests are bad ?

    The line about "hordes of barbarians" makes it appear that you are simply a racist.
    Only if you are totally ignorant. Barbarians refers to the Gauls, the Germanii, the Carthaginians, the Egyptians, whoever lived in Spain at the time ... anyone who is not a Roman is a barbarian. You are way too hung up on words, to the point of not understanding meaning. Richard Pryor used the word nigger all the time. You plan to tell me he was a racist ? never seen Blazing Saddles I imagine ? Look for content instead of forbidden trigger words.

  11. #81
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Northern Europe
    Posts
    9,073

    Default Re: The Strange Death of Europe - a discussion about mass migration

    Sweden requires immigrants to cover social costs, pensions etc, as the local birth rate is too low to support those getting older. I read the other day, that with all the refugee and asylum seekers that have entered Sweden in the last 10 years, who have a way higher amount of births, will mean Swedes will be a minority within their country within 50 years. I guess the only point that matters to some, is that if those migrants choose to be identified as "Swedish", or something else similar to "African-American". I am unaware of anyone being "stoned to death" since the mass immigration into the EU.
    More to the point, EU would not have this immigration pressure had it not been for US intervention in Libya, Syria and the greater ME, if you want them to stay at home, change the policy that wants to destroy their homes, its not rocket science.

  12. #82
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Los Angeles CA USA
    Posts
    93

    Default Re: The Strange Death of Europe - a discussion about mass migration

    Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    More to the point, EU would not have this immigration pressure had it not been for US intervention in Libya, Syria and the greater ME, if you want them to stay at home, change the policy that wants to destroy their homes, its not rocket science.
    THAT is a totally valid point. Which means that all those people should be moved to Manhahttan and housed at Goldman-Sachs expense.

    Or maybe just half. They could build a giant tent city around the pentagon for the other half.

  13. #83
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    4,458

    Default Re: The Strange Death of Europe - a discussion about mass migration

    Fear based thinking at it's most ugly. Racism, xenophobia, paranoia and a political ideology that knows fear is a powerful motivational tool often used to manipulate public opinion; ignorance over education, it's the republican way.. THEY don't belong in OUR country. THEY will stone our woman. THEY don't believe in MY god. WE must fear the outsiders. WE must fear this, that, and whatever else politicians tell us to fear because ( looks around for spies and whispers so none of "them" hear ) catering to racist fears is a great way to gain votes.

    We had our first black president, and old white america freaked out, the racists came out of the woodwork and now we literally have NAZIs marching in the streets and being called "very fine people" but an openly racist president, who's invented an immigration issue and proposed a completely ineffectual solution. A fence that will never be built. A fence that ignores the fact that most illegal immigrants came on a visa of some kind, flew in on vacation and simply stayed ;-)

    The fence is a joke of political ideology that doesn't effect those but the poorest of immigrants, migrant farm workers.

    America is in crisis mode with a treasonous president hell bent on manipulating fear in order to build the most corrupt system of governance more similar to those of the dictator regimes than the free world has ever seen.

    While distracting us with a wall and generating unfounded fears in a population most easily manipulated if we invent a common enemy; immigrants.

  14. #84
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Los Angeles CA USA
    Posts
    93

    Default Re: The Strange Death of Europe - a discussion about mass migration

    Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    Fear based thinking at it's most ugly. Racism, xenophobia, paranoia and a political ideology that knows fear ...
    Well, see, there ya go again, proving my point. You let these people come into your country and pretty soon they start ranting and raving and stomping their feet and giving orders like they own the place.

  15. #85
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    4,458

    Default Re: The Strange Death of Europe - a discussion about mass migration

    Quote Originally Posted by on the border View Post
    Well, see, there ya go again, proving my point. You let these people come into your country and pretty soon they start ranting and raving and stomping their feet and giving orders like they own the place.
    Do you typically just make stuff up when you don't have any facts to go on ?

  16. #86
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Northern Europe
    Posts
    9,073

    Default Re: The Strange Death of Europe - a discussion about mass migration

    Quote Originally Posted by on the border View Post
    THAT is a totally valid point. Which means that all those people should be moved to Manhahttan and housed at Goldman-Sachs expense.

    Or maybe just half. They could build a giant tent city around the pentagon for the other half.
    A nice fantasy for sure. If the EU stopped being vassel states of the US and decided to stick together for their own interests, they would be shipping them off to the US, that would be a just and fair situation.

  17. #87
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    Posts
    3,392

    Default Re: The Strange Death of Europe - a discussion about mass migration

    Quick shut down the land bridge, they'll eat all our Mastodons!
    If he ever drinks the brew of 10 tanna leaves, he will become a monster the likes of which the world has never seen



  18. #88
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Frankfort, MI
    Posts
    6,636

    Default Re: The Strange Death of Europe - a discussion about mass migration

    Quote Originally Posted by Rigadog View Post
    Quick shut down the land bridge, they'll eat all our Mastodons!
    Well, of course they will. They'll have quite an appetite after raping all of our women...

    Jeff C

  19. #89
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    7,246

    Default Re: The Strange Death of Europe - a discussion about mass migration

    Quote Originally Posted by Rigadog View Post
    Quick shut down the land bridge, they'll eat all our Mastodons!
    So that's what happened to all the Mastodons. Danged immigrants
    Somewhere between Murder and Suicide, there is a place called Merseyside.

  20. #90
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Frankfort, MI
    Posts
    6,636

    Default Re: The Strange Death of Europe - a discussion about mass migration

    Quote Originally Posted by on the border View Post
    Absolutely not. True courage is staying where you are and working to fix whatever problems your own country has, not running off to ruin someone else's home.

    Wow...spouting silly pap like this in your first 25 posts. Sock puppet quality seems to be in the dumper nowadays.

    Jeff C

  21. #91
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    downward bound
    Posts
    2,896

    Default Re: The Strange Death of Europe - a discussion about mass migration

    Quote Originally Posted by on the border View Post
    But no one is complaining about immigration. The problem is hundreds of thousands of "refugees" who are not chosen for their desire to become Australian or American or British. Not chosen for their talents and skills. Not chosen on the basis of "will these people adopt to our society and fit in ?
    A political refugee from Iran, now a professor at Cambridge, named Caucher Birkar just won the Fields Medal. Does that count as "fitting in"? talent?

  22. #92
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Sitka, AK
    Posts
    25,970

    Default Re: The Strange Death of Europe - a discussion about mass migration

    Pretty amazing thread.

    Iím coming to the conclusion that the rich need mass immigration to provide cheap labor, while working people want to avoid mass immigration in order to save their jobs.

    Iíve also concluded that some folks canít support their mass immigration stand point without using controlled immigration stats, facts, and history. Despite the fact they are two different animals.

    Mr. Ďon the borderí hit some bullseyes here. Thatís for sure.
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

  23. #93
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    4,458

    Default Re: The Strange Death of Europe - a discussion about mass migration

    Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    Pretty amazing thread.

    I’m coming to the conclusion that the rich need mass immigration to provide cheap labor, while working people want to avoid mass immigration in order to save their jobs.

    I’ve also concluded that some folks can’t support their mass immigration stand point without using controlled immigration stats, facts, and history. Despite the fact they are two different animals.

    Mr. ‘on the border’ hit some bullseyes here. That’s for sure.
    Mass immigration ? sounds like fear based thinking again. Immigration has been declining for years. Fact based thinking would rely on hard data before forming any opinions.



    The entire question of a wall is a red herring if there ever was one


  24. #94
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Walney, near Cumbria UK
    Posts
    40,127

    Default Re: The Strange Death of Europe - a discussion about mass migration

    Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    Pretty amazing thread.

    Iím coming to the conclusion that the rich need mass immigration to provide cheap labor, while working people want to avoid mass immigration in order to save their jobs.

    Iíve also concluded that some folks canít support their mass immigration stand point without using controlled immigration stats, facts, and history. Despite the fact they are two different animals.

    Mr. Ďon the borderí hit some bullseyes here. Thatís for sure.
    There is one issue that I cannot grock.

    How come a resident of a country, fluent in the language with access to all olf the job adverts, and in the case of the UK the Job Centre, can't grab any available work before an offcomer, who might have English as a second language, no access to job adverts or the Job Centre, and might n ot even have a permanent home address.

    Yet they claim that Furriners are stealing their jobs.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

    The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

  25. #95
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Bournemouth UK
    Posts
    1,163

    Default Re: The Strange Death of Europe - a discussion about mass migration

    Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    There is one issue that I cannot grock.

    How come a resident of a country, fluent in the language with access to all olf the job adverts, and in the case of the UK the Job Centre, can't grab any available work before an offcomer, who might have English as a second language, no access to job adverts or the Job Centre, and might n ot even have a permanent home address.

    Yet they claim that Furriners are stealing their jobs.
    Because they have been conditioned from an early age to believe that:-
    - a University degree is necessary for all but the most demeaning jobs;
    - manual workers are the pits unless of course the work is of an arty crafty nature;
    - as everyone knows, the only way to make real money is to be a pop star, Instagrammer or YouTuber!!

    For a radical solution, how about going back to a 1G mobile phone network?

    Nick

  26. #96
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Alameda, CA
    Posts
    10,756

    Default Re: The Strange Death of Europe - a discussion about mass migration

    Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    There is one issue that I cannot grock.

    How come a resident of a country, fluent in the language with access to all olf the job adverts, and in the case of the UK the Job Centre, can't grab any available work before an offcomer, who might have English as a second language, no access to job adverts or the Job Centre, and might n ot even have a permanent home address.

    Yet they claim that Furriners are stealing their jobs.
    Will you acknowledge the foreign born worker will work for less? Every business counts on lower labor costs.

    I have a question for you all... When was the last time you were paid to clean a toilet, sort trash or sweep-mop a floor as part of your assigned job duties?
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

  27. #97
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Walney, near Cumbria UK
    Posts
    40,127

    Default Re: The Strange Death of Europe - a discussion about mass migration

    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    Will you acknowledge the foreign born worker will work for less? Every business counts on lower labor costs.

    I have a question for you all... When was the last time you were paid to clean a toilet or sort trash as part of your job duties?
    The UK has a minimum wage. The only way that you can work for less is if you work in a family business being paid pocket money out of the till, or if you are an illegal being exploited by criminal organisations.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

    The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

  28. #98
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Norwich,United Kingdom
    Posts
    5,527

    Default Re: The Strange Death of Europe - a discussion about mass migration

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post
    Just look at the history of Australia.

    The blissful lives of the people were utterly ruined by a horde of thieving, raping, murdering, degenerate, savage immigrants.

    From Great Britain.
    I have to hope the poster is a descendant of a first nation culture,because much the same could be said about America and it's settlers.


    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    there are still 100,000s waiting in Calais to let them in.
    Not so Ted,I drove through Calais last week and saw no refugee camp by the ferry terminal.They were encouraged to move elsewhere a while ago.

  29. #99
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    downward bound
    Posts
    2,896

    Default Re: The Strange Death of Europe - a discussion about mass migration

    Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    Mr. ‘on the border’ hit some bullseyes here. That’s for sure.
    the intellectual vacuity of the American right wing. What matters is "owning the libs" not facts or intellectual merit.

    any kind of protectionism will in the short term boost domestic suppliers of the good or service and in the longterm exact substantial costs and induce malaise.
    Last edited by Hugh Conway; 08-05-2018 at 03:54 PM.

  30. #100
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Frankfort, MI
    Posts
    6,636

    Default Re: The Strange Death of Europe - a discussion about mass migration

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    the intellectual vacuity of the American right wing. What matters is "owning the libs" not facts or intellectual merit.
    Exactly.

    Jeff C

  31. #101
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Alameda, CA
    Posts
    10,756

    Default Re: The Strange Death of Europe - a discussion about mass migration

    Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    The UK has a minimum wage. The only way that you can work for less is if you work in a family business being paid pocket money out of the till, or if you are an illegal being exploited by criminal organisations.
    I don't think you have mopped a public restroom in a while or sorted trash bins - separating the recyclables from compost and waste otherwise you would have said so. And as far as making it on a current minimum wage... that was removed from your consciousness a long while back.

    I would suggest taking a really good look on how Asian, Indian and other openly immigrant "family" businesses really operate... profiting on contracted immigrants from the old country and sponsored "relations" labor is how small margins are managed. Their labor mops the floor, takes out trash and even goes to clean the bosses' houses without question on and off their "at work" time.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 08-05-2018 at 03:57 PM.
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

  32. #102
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Walney, near Cumbria UK
    Posts
    40,127

    Default Re: The Strange Death of Europe - a discussion about mass migration

    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    I don't think you have mopped a public restroom in a while or sorted trash bins - separating the recyclables from compost and waste otherwise you would have said so. And as far as making it on a current minimum wage... that was removed from your consciousness a long while back.

    I would suggest taking a really good look on Asian, Indian and other openly immigrant "family" businesses really operate... profiting on contracted immigrants from the old country and sponsored "relations" labor is how small margins are managed.
    What has who works in he service industry got to do with the price of bread? "Cleaning ladies" come in all ages, colours and sizes. They will be in legitimate employment paid like any other company employee.
    As to your second sentence, is that not exactly what I said? The only issue is that you imply that it is endemic, which I doubt. It is also the way than many small UK farms will work. Immigrants rarely own farms.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

    The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

  33. #103
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    23,801

    Default Re: The Strange Death of Europe - a discussion about mass migration

    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    Will you acknowledge the foreign born worker will work for less? Every business counts on lower labor costs.

    I have a question for you all... When was the last time you were paid to clean a toilet, sort trash or sweep-mop a floor as part of your assigned job duties?
    As the keeper of a small shop, I do all of these things as part of my duties, and change the cat box for the shop mascot. It's been a while, but I've also done all of those things for an hourly wage. I've also worked as a janitor, picked crops, and worked in factories. I liked factories least.

    We've been through all this before. During the 19th century, there was anxiety about the Irish "race" coming here with their unfamiliar religion.



    Now we're fine with Catholics and don't consider Irish a "race" as opposed to other northern Europeans. Eventually, we'll decide middle eastern people are as white as Italians, and their religion is okay as well. Europe can do the same. People are uncomfortable with newcomers until they aren't.

  34. #104
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    2,212

    Default Re: The Strange Death of Europe - a discussion about mass migration

    Quote Originally Posted by on the border View Post
    Mm-hmm. Hate to tell you this but most people in the US do not have $50,000 worth of tools in their garage and 35 foot wood boats they put twelve coats of varnish on. Look through the photos. Read the threads about "the market" and "my investments". This is gated-community-land.

    Don't try to weazel out of anything. You made a blanket statement and it is a fact that your blanket statement is wrong. And if you think that everyone here has a 35 footer it just shows that you don't actually even try to find out the truth before you spout BS.

    But it does mean that I am more likely to sympathize with the working class of the US, while the investors amongst us are less likely to. You can verify that by readong the anguished screams cf Mr Trump. I don't like the guy either but he didn't strangle my mom like you people act. That's a class thing not a policy thing. At least I can understand where Trumpists are coming from. You guys don't even try.

    Again, another untrue blanket statement - that is, a lie. I'm happy to sit with my relatives who are Trump supporters and find out where they are coming from. About two hours before I read your post, I commented to someone else that I understood where many Trump supporters are coming from and I think they've been messed around by the Democrats and Republicans alike. My dislike for some of the Trump supporters here is based on the fact that those individuals are dishonest cowards in debate, not because I don't know where other Trump supporters are coming from.


    And I am not "shocked" by life in the middle east, either. I don't like it and don't want it here. Sorry. I have that right. Do you have any idea what people in those societies actually think or how they really behave ?

    That's what you are doing. Diversity, ya know. Multi-cultural. Freedom of religion. Well, their culturalism and their religion say stoning women is cool. And they do it. You don't even want to hear what Afghans do. Not the furry dogs, the people. You think catholic priests are bad ?


    You appear to have this strange idea that we are saying that the West should give up all its ideals because a small proportion of refugees. Very, very, very few people are saying that. That tiny minority are about as relevant as Nazis.

    You also appear to have a fixation that you know more about middle eastern society than the rest of us. Have you ever been there? For how long? Where did you go?


    Have you worked in enforcement and dealt with such people? I have. Have you had to say to someone with traditional middle eastern views "you can't do it that way here"? I have. The fact that some of them may do things in their own country does not mean that they will do it in the West.

    Sure, some of them tried to do it their way and had to be brought into line. Yes, some of them said "our women do not talk to other men" and we had to effectively say "it doesn't work that way here". Yes, we had some trouble with middle eastern gangs. We also had some trouble with gangs of white anglos who had almost the same beliefs as those we were dealing with from middle-eastern people at the same time, oddly enough.

    The fact that some people - anglo, Arabic, whatever - hold beliefs that are not acceptable in modern western society does not mean that all of them do, as you appear to think. None of the people I know who have recently come from that area have any of the beliefs you are talking about.


    Only if you are totally ignorant. Barbarians refers to the Gauls, the Germanii, the Carthaginians, the Egyptians, whoever lived in Spain at the time ... anyone who is not a Roman is a barbarian. You are way too hung up on words, to the point of not understanding meaning. Richard Pryor used the word nigger all the time. You plan to tell me he was a racist ? never seen Blazing Saddles I imagine ? Look for content instead of forbidden trigger words.

    I assumed you were using the term "barbarian" in its typical modern English usage since that is the language of this forum. It's had different colloquial uses since the word was created by the Greeks (long before it was used by the Romans) so for you to throw around insults because you decided to use one of its various ancient meanings is stupid.

    You're way too hung up on believing any lies or improbable stuff that suits your prejudice, and creating fictitious stereotypes. The people I have dealt with who come from that area are often doctors, engineers and scientists. Others are just normal folk trying to get along and to live out their lives safely. To stereotype them all as if they believe in stoning women and the like is so wrong that it's apparent that you just using racist stereotypes.
    Last edited by Chris249; 08-05-2018 at 05:57 PM.
    Has BigFella and SkyBlue on ignore.

  35. #105
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Alameda, CA
    Posts
    10,756

    Default Re: The Strange Death of Europe - a discussion about mass migration

    Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    What has who works in he service industry got to do with the price of bread? "Cleaning ladies" come in all ages, colours and sizes. They will be in legitimate employment paid like any other company employee.
    As to your second sentence, is that not exactly what I said? The only issue is that you imply that it is endemic, which I doubt. It is also the way than many small UK farms will work. Immigrants rarely own farms.
    artfully dodger. A family farm really?

    “cleaning ladies”? Now a sexist too.
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •